Email stopped working . . .
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Supertacks
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 23 September 2009 :  22:21:28  Show Profile
Not sure where to turn. I have hours into troubleshooting this now to no avail.

The server changed ip address and domains. I can't send any email nor can I change the administrator email. When attempting to perform the later I get the error:

The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for thebirdbath@frontier.com

When attempting to send mail through the member profile link or when a new account signs up I get the pop up saying the mail was sent but it is never recieved.

The box is IIS V6.0. I have tried all the CDOSYS code mods mentioned in other threads and nothing even seems to change the behavior of the email function.

I will post any info anyone can suggest to help get this working. Just tell me where to start

The forums are at www.thebirdbath.org

Thanks in advance . . . .

Supertacks
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 24 September 2009 :  09:55:35  Show Profile
Issue resolved . . .
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 24 September 2009 :  10:00:38  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like your email server is set up too strict. Are you sure that it has been setup correctly?

Edit: Responded too late.

What was the issue ?

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

My Mods: CAPTCHA Mod | GateKeeper Mod
Tutorial: Enable subscriptions on your board

Warning: The post above or below may contain nuts.

Edited by - Podge on 24 September 2009 10:01:03
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 24 September 2009 :  10:35:52  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Please let us know. It may help the next poor soul in the same position.
Go to Top of Page

dacaweb
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2009 :  11:50:19  Show Profile
Yaar, I'm having the same problem. Our website recently changed domains, and I'm trying to update some member information. Every time I enter an email address for a member, I get the following error message:
Your request was not sent due to the following error: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [email address].

I'd love to know what Supertacks did to fix it!
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2009 :  14:24:54  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
you probably need to use authorisation for the mail server, if you are using cdosys then do a quick search, there are several post explaining how to change inc_mail to use smtp authentication
Go to Top of Page

dacaweb
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  15:12:00  Show Profile
Thanks... but still no luck. I have tried every suggestion in the handful of threads I could find on the topic.
Whenever I attempt to update a user's email address, I am still getting the following error message:
Your request was not sent due to the following error: The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [email address]

Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  15:45:33  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
this means your SMTP server will not allow you to use it to relay mail.

You have to properly authenticate the user, as I said before.
Go to Top of Page

dacaweb
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  16:23:38  Show Profile
Additional information, if it helps: our host is discountasp.net --the email settings are currently set to ASPEmail, not CDOSYS.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  16:25:13  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Likely you can change it to CDOSYS and use the authentication code available on those threads?

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

dacaweb
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  16:26:57  Show Profile
Okay, so perhaps I am missing something in the description of what to do with the coding.
Please bear with me as I am only moderately experienced with all of this. Assuming that our site is hosted at www.ourdomain.com, our email comes from webmail.ourdomain.com and the admin's email address is postmaster@ourdomain.com.
In the slots for "username" and "password" should I be entering the admin's email address for "username"? Or the master username which we use to log into our server, etc?
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  16:28:54  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
You need to use whatever you usually would use to access the email account - usually it's the email address and password, but in some cases can be username / password. Do you have pop access to the email server? If so, use whatever you use to access the account through pop.

Go to Top of Page

dacaweb
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  16:31:39  Show Profile
Problem solved!
I found yet another thread on the topic, which advised the following:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67999&SearchTerms=change,inc_mail

I followed Podge's instructions for removing the ' from the beginning of the lines and it appears we're in action.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  16:42:15  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Great .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07