Registration Bug
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webdev
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2008 :  06:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all,

I'd like to say that I am new to Snitz and as such approach things from the perspective of a "babe in the woods" who is being taken care of by the wolf.

When I tried to register, I went through the form and filled out all the required information. After I submitted the info I received a message saying that the username was already being used. Not a problem - just change username, right?

After that minor change, I came to the point of providing one of the required fields, age. register.asp apparently remembered my year of birth ok but the other fields, meaning month and date, would not appear again even after clicking on the dropdown listbox and choosing the year again.

The only solution was to go from the start of the registration process and then provide all the information - again.

I started a new topic because this, being the latest version of Snitz, should somehow standout of the crowd of messages that have been laying around for years, literally.

Thank you for providing this software. I am testing it now and do like what I see but there are some other things I don't understand and will post about in other forums.

Sincerely,
webdev

PS. Just out of curiosity, why is the date of birth a required field?
<

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2008 :  08:41:43  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
it helps in the prevention of bot registrations and there is a minimum age policy<
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2008 :  08:42:44  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
in respect of your issue, selecting a diffrent year should force the month selector to appear<
Go to Top of Page

webdev
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2008 :  15:10:57  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply. Semi-Retired? Me too but working more than ever!

Yes, it should have refreshed the age but it didn't. By the way, this happened right here on this forum. Also, it says right in register.asp:

By pressing the "Agree" button, you agree that you, the user, are 13 years of age or over. Blah, blah, blah.... I guess it's carefully placed redundancy?

Thanks again for the info.
Wayne<
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2008 :  15:16:38  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Sorry, must be a problem with your browser or your browser configuration. The dropdown works normally at this site, both with IE and Firefox.

Also, you should be able to disable Age from Admin Options->Member Details Configuration.<

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

ZORRO
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 01 June 2010 :  06:22:23  Show Profile
This bug continues to plague our visitors. What happens: If we are SETUP to require AGE, which is what we want, and the new user makes any mistake on the registration screen, such as selceting a USERNAME that is already in use, then the MONTH and DAY fields disappear. I can see that if a savvy user thinks to select a BOGUS birth year then he will have the opportunity to re-enter MONTH and DAY. But, why are the MONTH and DAY beiing erased? This is a bug. We need to either erase all Date-of-birth field values or leave it alone if this is not the offending entry. Any chance this could be fixed?
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 01 June 2010 :  08:29:07  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

in respect of your issue, selecting a diffrent year should force the month selector to appear

Moved to BUG forum so it gets fixed

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 01 June 2010 :  08:41:45  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
not sure much can be done to stop this other than a rewrite of the DOB code, the fact that the year is selected but month/date are invisible is a quirk of the way the browsers handle the history/css

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

bobdsw

United States
62 Posts

Posted - 01 June 2010 :  08:45:11  Show Profile  Visit bobdsw's Homepage
The beauty of Snitz is that there are countless mods and developers out there. You can check out snitzbitz. I believe there is a mod there that uses a pop up calendar for them to select their birthday. I think that's where we got it from. If not I'll try and find it and post a link for you.

We've used that mod ourselves but honestly found it has it's own drawbacks. I completely agree with you that you have to consider how the less saavy users will handle things an present them the clearest options, but having used a couple different methods we're now back to using the 3 drop downs. I think it's the best and clearest way to get the information from the member.

We actually modified the code to always show all three drop downs, all the time. If you select a day first (like feb 29) but it turns out to not be a leap year it will just reset the field when the year is changed.

Phoenix! - Ful site integration, CSS driven & XHTML compliant, MooTools, TinyMCE editor for posts & custom content management, , Visual Theme Designer, custom menus & pages, member galleries with ASP JPeg and ASPResize, ASP WordPress style Blog, web friends, FaceBook, Twitter & other social-sharing integration, ReCaptcha & Anti-Spam Registration...and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 01 June 2010 :  11:36:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR
not sure much can be done to stop this other than a rewrite of the DOB code
I'll try to get on to it in the next couple of days; that file needs a lot more cleaning up aside from this issue
quote:
Originall posted by bobdsw
I believe there is a mod there that uses a pop up calendar for them to select their birthday.
That used to be in the base code, Bob; the current code was written as a replacement for it.

The quick & dirty way of getting rid of this problem is to remove the onchange events from the select tags and delete your inc_datepicker.js file from the server remove the reference to inc_datepicker.js from the code; the selects will behave as normal but the date of birth will still be validated server side when the form is submitted.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”

Edited by - Shaggy on 02 June 2010 04:58:21
Go to Top of Page

bobdsw

United States
62 Posts

Posted - 01 June 2010 :  21:24:11  Show Profile  Visit bobdsw's Homepage
Thanks. I was going mad. I knew we had it on the site at one time. It's funny because when we had it people complained they didn't know to click the calendar icon to get the pop up. I think the current method is much better. You're not going to please all the people when you design something, but I know since we changed there hasn't been a complaint.

Phoenix! - Ful site integration, CSS driven & XHTML compliant, MooTools, TinyMCE editor for posts & custom content management, , Visual Theme Designer, custom menus & pages, member galleries with ASP JPeg and ASPResize, ASP WordPress style Blog, web friends, FaceBook, Twitter & other social-sharing integration, ReCaptcha & Anti-Spam Registration...and much more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07