Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gchq
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 18 April 2007 :  10:45:14  Show Profile
Is anyone working on a .NET version of forum software?

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 18 April 2007 :  10:59:45  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
yes, I am currently working on it, it is mostly finished, I just need to finish of the bulk of the admin pages before it is ready for beta release.

you can take a peak at it here http://snitz.reddiweb.com but since you are a new member you will not be bale to log in or anything as it is using an old copy of the db and registration is not enabled.
Go to Top of Page

gchq
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 18 April 2007 :  11:34:32  Show Profile
Looking good!

Must be one of, if not the first to get away from PHP! Will it run on all .NET frameworks (1.1, 2.0 and 3.0)??

Have you written it in C# or VB?

Have any of your forums been tested with a Sybase backend?
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 18 April 2007 :  11:42:09  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
it is written in C# to run on .net 2.0

No the forums have not been tested against a sybase backend, the .Net version should work fine since the data layer is seperate so can be re-written for any DB
Go to Top of Page

gchq
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2007 :  16:27:25  Show Profile
It's a bit off topic, but could you tell me what method you employ for remote database backup/restore? I know I can do it via SQL, but that is server side - I'm trying to find a method that can be used within an asp.NET(VB) application to backup to a local client drive. I know PHP forum software does this with MySQL..

Any pointers would be appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

daveo

97 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2007 :  18:14:22  Show Profile  Visit daveo's Homepage
I think you can load the management and client portion of SQL Server Express and backup a remote DB from you PC.

http://copdforum.portalone.us/
Go to Top of Page

gchq
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2007 :  18:39:39  Show Profile
Don't you just love the way MS hijack a programming language and name one of their products after it!

I was looking for some generic method that might work with a Sybase backend! So far I'm only aware of the DOS dbbackup method (dbbackup -c dsn=mydsn C:\mydrive) but the sybase software would need to reside on the client machine - otherwise the DB server sees the drive mapping as local to the server machine.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2007 :  02:36:13  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:
Don't you just love the way MS hijack a programming language and name one of their products after it!

what you mean like everyone else does too, how about MySQL or Sybase SQL Anywhere
Go to Top of Page

pdrg
Support Moderator

United Kingdom
2897 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2007 :  08:16:55  Show Profile  Send pdrg a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by gchq

Hahahaha - except they acquired SQL Server 4 from Sybase, so if you want to point the finger anywhere...
Go to Top of Page

gchq
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2007 :  12:29:19  Show Profile
quote:
what you mean like everyone else does too, how about MySQL or Sybase SQL Anywhere

Perhaps if they had called it MS-SQL (like MySQL and iAnywhere SQL) or even "Sequel" as they pronounce it, then there wouldn't be the confusion between language and product!

Getting back to the topic - is there a way to achieve a db dackup from a remote application to a local drive? How do you achieve this within the .NET forum application?
Go to Top of Page

pdrg
Support Moderator

United Kingdom
2897 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2007 :  16:25:24  Show Profile  Send pdrg a Yahoo! Message
I'd use DTS, probably the best way I know.
Go to Top of Page

Max0005

Italy
294 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2007 :  16:40:31  Show Profile  Visit Max0005's Homepage  Send Max0005 a Yahoo! Message
Good, .NET Snitz is open again. HuwR, can you please send me again the translation files? I found I had done some errors due to not knowing exactly where things would have gone. A look at the product and I understood how to correct them.
Go to Top of Page

gchq
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2007 :  16:49:33  Show Profile
quote:
I'd use DTS, probably the best way I know.

As far as I know Data Transformation Services is for MS-SQL server only? If you are building an application that is not restricted by DB type then how can this be accomplished? There must be some generic method?

By the way, I'm working on a Housing Association Application in VB.NET for Framework 2.0. I'm using DBProviderFactories for multi DB and connectivity scenarios. Ended up here because I want to include Forums and although PHPBB is quite good, I was really wanting something on the .NET platform. Mission seems accomplished in that respect!
Go to Top of Page

pdrg
Support Moderator

United Kingdom
2897 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2007 :  17:57:00  Show Profile  Send pdrg a Yahoo! Message
There's a lightweight version of DTS (called something different now) downloadable for free from MS, but you're right that the dataconnector will probably be MSSQL only. Aqua Data Studio could be an alternative, or there may be a simple equivelent on sourceforge.

I hear what you're saying though, and a simple app to automagically download the core tables locally could be useful...only problem would be supporting the inevitable requests for cross-platform, bi-directorial, merge-supporting, mod-support etc. A straight Win32 vanilla one-way version oughtn't be too mean though. Fancy writing it?

If I get a chance I'll look into it, but I'm somewhat rusty nowadays :(
Go to Top of Page

pdrg
Support Moderator

United Kingdom
2897 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2007 :  13:30:05  Show Profile  Send pdrg a Yahoo! Message
Idea - how about a serverside webmethod to serialize each of the tables (it'll be to XML returned by the webmethod) to the browser so they can be saved as XML on the client.

Admittedly, that's a bit of a one-way process at the moment, but if we re-use the existing db connectors in the .NET app once it becomes available, the whole app would be a dozen lines of VB.net/c# to backup the db to the client in one dirty great structured XML file.

Restoration would need to be to a fresh copy of the db, so maybe a script to rebuild the tables (again using the existing setup page) then fill them from the XML passed via an HTTP upload to the server.

I've been thinking about this, and this way would...
1) be db agnostic - whatever connector had been set up in the forum would be reused for this
2) NOT support mods at this stage
3) not require priveleged db access
4) not require multiple database creation (if the recreated tables for restoration were prefixed 'SNITZRESTOREYYYYMMDD<tablename>_' - handy for when you're only allowed 1 db by your host.
5) not require special filesystem privs

Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

gchq
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2007 :  20:50:48  Show Profile
Sorry - VS2005 decided to have one of it's 'flashing screen' tantrums that ended up in a crash, that pulled down a Netware server and somehow corrupted a SAP file on a W2K server - had a few days of pressure

Just had to re-trace my steps to find how I got here!

Back again soon!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07