Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SiSL
Average Member

Turkey
671 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2005 :  22:05:03  Show Profile  Visit SiSL's Homepage
I'm not sure why but even slightest code changes can affect speed on my boards dramatically...

Last time I've noticed as 'admin', my post.asp loading over 20 seconds, but that speed thing not effecting users at all.

So I decided to do some WriteFooter / response end results to see timer.. Here what I did to speed it up...

Found following lines around 1590.

' DEM --> Added Select of Moderation Fields
	strSQL = "SELECT C.CAT_MODERATION, F.F_MODERATION "
	strSQL = strSQL & "FROM " & strTablePrefix & "CATEGORY C, " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM F "
	strSQL = strSQL & " WHERE C.CAT_ID = " & strRqCatID
	strSQL = strSQL & " AND F.FORUM_ID = " & strRqForumID
	set rsa = my_Conn.Execute (strSql) 
	' ## Moderators and Admins can see unmoderated posts.
	if (mLev = 4) or (chkForumModerator(strRqForumId, strDBNTUserName) = "1") then
		Moderation = "N"
	else
		if strModeration = 1 and rsa("CAT_MODERATION") = 1 and (rsa("F_MODERATION") = 1 or rsa("F_MODERATION") = 3) then
			Moderation = "Y"
		else
			Moderation = "N"
		end if
	end if
	' DEM --> End of Moderation Code

I cut the lines in red... and placed it over first line in this code... Therefor, if you are admin, it does not check if you are moderator or what...

So it has become like this:

if (mLev = 4) or (chkForumModerator(strRqForumId, strDBNTUserName) = "1") then
		Moderation = "N"
	else

' DEM --> Added Select of Moderation Fields
	strSQL = "SELECT C.CAT_MODERATION, F.F_MODERATION "
	strSQL = strSQL & "FROM " & strTablePrefix & "CATEGORY C, " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM F "
	strSQL = strSQL & " WHERE C.CAT_ID = " & strRqCatID
	strSQL = strSQL & " AND F.FORUM_ID = " & strRqForumID
	set rsa = my_Conn.Execute (strSql) 
	' ## Moderators and Admins can see unmoderated posts.

if strModeration = 1 and rsa("CAT_MODERATION") = 1 and (rsa("F_MODERATION") = 1 or rsa("F_MODERATION") = 3) then
			Moderation = "Y"
		else
			Moderation = "N"
		end if
	end if
	' DEM --> End of Moderation Code

With that change somehow my Speed gets back to 4 seconds than 18-24 seconds as admin..

You know what speed me up more than that?

I added following line below final line of above code:

set rsa = nothing

Now it is 0.04 seconds!

If I did something wrong please remind me, if not let me know if you have speed issues like me.<

CHIP Online Forum

My Mods
Select All Code | Fix a vulnerability for your private messages | Avatar Categories W/ Avatar Gallery Mod | Complaint Manager
Admin Level Revisited | Merge Forums | No More Nested Quotes Mod

Edited by - Davio on 26 September 2006 05:44:52

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2005 :  03:27:27  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:
Found following lines around 1590.

There are < 1500 lines in a standard post.asp so for anyone else it is around line 1357.

I don't see anythig wrong with your changes, in fact they look pretty sensible, however I fail to see what effect setting rsa to nothing would have on the speed of the query, it should only affect the number of open connections not query speed, but obviously it ought to be done.

Could one of the Admin's move this to the bug forum since this ought to be fixed in the base code.<
Go to Top of Page

SiSL
Average Member

Turkey
671 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2005 :  03:48:44  Show Profile  Visit SiSL's Homepage
Oh sorry, that must be because of Poll mod

I guess open connections effect speed a lot in my case, since same computer running 4 different Snitz and having huge number of visitors on same MSSQL

However my theory is kinda more like this, correct me if I'm wrong : "Once a recordset open, opening another without closing causing to be slow" , at least that's at my MSSQL thing.

I have some more problems to solve (especially with mods like Events Calender doing same thing, this time users getting too slow if events calender there)

More interesting another result at me, this only happens when a page checks for "moderated" or hidden stuff.. I'll check connections again I guess /sigh

EDIT: I checked more codes what causing slowness. final result: Any DO.. LOOP causes slowness on large databases (not suprising eh?)
<

CHIP Online Forum

My Mods
Select All Code | Fix a vulnerability for your private messages | Avatar Categories W/ Avatar Gallery Mod | Complaint Manager

Edited by - SiSL on 19 October 2005 14:23:29
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2005 :  07:06:53  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Just FYI ; Implemented this, and went from 0,3224 seconds on post.asp to 0,3145 seconds (0,2832 seconds for non-registered visitors).
Not really the 500x speed improvement you're getting, but still.

I have to agree wit HuwR though ; I also fail to see this increasing speed from 20 seconds to 0,04 seconds, but as it's a correct improvement/fix of the basecode, and as it has solved your performance issue, I'd also say that it should go into the basecode. (Not that I have anything to say about that, but ok. )<

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter

Edited by - MarcelG on 19 October 2005 14:23:29
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2005 :  14:56:55  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SiSL

Oh sorry, that must be because of Poll mod

I guess open connections effect speed a lot in my case, since same computer running 4 different Snitz and having huge number of visitors on same MSSQL

However my theory is kinda more like this, correct me if I'm wrong : "Once a recordset open, opening another without closing causing to be slow" , at least that's at my MSSQL thing.

I have some more problems to solve (especially with mods like Events Calender doing same thing, this time users getting too slow if events calender there)

More interesting another result at me, this only happens when a page checks for "moderated" or hidden stuff.. I'll check connections again I guess /sigh

EDIT: I checked more codes what causing slowness. final result: Any DO.. LOOP causes slowness on large databases (not suprising eh?)

if the number of open connections is affecting performance then your MSSQL server is either grossly under specced or massively over-subscribed and in dire need of either more ram or faster/ multiple processors.

Yes do loops are very slow, this could be remedied somewhat by either using arrays and getrows or disconnected record sets<

Edited by - HuwR on 19 October 2005 16:23:42
Go to Top of Page

SiSL
Average Member

Turkey
671 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2005 :  16:06:33  Show Profile  Visit SiSL's Homepage
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why that happening too. I'm on a W2003 server with SQL Server 2000. Had some previous issues, thanks to ruirib it has been solved by using UNION and removing Do.. Loops with GetRows. And ofcourse not sure if it has to do with ASP emulating of W2K3 which is not natively supported if you do not install. Now I had myself checking if there is Do.. Loop in any statement if it comes slow and ofcourse optimizing code for more speed is always better..

Oh and MarcelG, it is not about post.asp, it is about post.asp with "Reply" or "Quote" things with "admin" status. Casual post.asp was fast for new topics.<

CHIP Online Forum

My Mods

Edited by - SiSL on 19 October 2005 16:23:42
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2005 :  04:07:52  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SiSL

Oh and MarcelG, it is not about post.asp, it is about post.asp with "Reply" or "Quote" things with "admin" status. Casual post.asp was fast for new topics.
Ah, ok. That makes sense. Sorry if I missed that part earlier.<

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2005 :  05:52:04  Show Profile
While we're on the subject of "speeding up" post.asp, something I mentioned to Davio a while back, was the way the combo boxes for allowed members and moderators when editing/creating forums are currently poulated using getMemberName and therefore an additional database hit for each member on the list. However post.asp already contains queries to retrieve the MEMBER_IDs to pass through that function so we could save a couple of trips to the database by pulling the M_NAMEs with the same query. I've done this on Woo.ie and it's really helped speed things up.

Find the following beginning on line 857 of post.asp and add the code in green:
strSql = "SELECT O.MEMBER_ID, M.M_NAME"
strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strTablePrefix & "MODERATOR O, " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS M"
strSql = strSql & " WHERE O.FORUM_ID = " & strRqForumID & " AND M.MEMBER_ID=O.MEMBER_ID"
Find the following on line 867 and add the code in green:
allForumModeratorData = rsForumModerator.GetRows(adGetRowsRest)
recForumModeratorCount = UBound(allForumModeratorData,2)
moMEMBER_ID = 0
moM_NAME = 1
Find the following on line 917, add the code in green and replace the code in red:
ForumModeratorMemberID = allForumModeratorData(moMEMBER_ID, iForumModerator)
ForumModeratorMemberName = chkString(allForumModeratorData(moM_NAME, iForumModerator), "display")
if ForumModeratorMemberID <> "" then
	Response.Write 	"                      		<option value=""" & ForumModeratorMemberID & """>" & ForumModeratorMemberName & "</option>" & vbNewline
end if
Find the following on line 1223 and add the code in green:
strSql = "SELECT A.MEMBER_ID, M.M_NAME"
strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strTablePrefix & "ALLOWED_MEMBERS A, " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS M"
strSql = strSql & " WHERE A.FORUM_ID = " & strRqForumID & " AND M.MEMBER_ID=A.MEMBER_ID"
Find the following on line 1233 and add the code in green:
allAllowedMemberData = rsAllowedMember.GetRows(adGetRowsRest)
recAllowedMemberCount = UBound(allAllowedMemberData,2)
amMEMBER_ID = 0
amM_NAME = 1
Find the following on line 1282, add the code in green and replace the code in red:
AllowedMembersMemberID = allAllowedMemberData(amMEMBER_ID, iAllowedMember)
AllowedMembersMemberName = chkString(allAllowedMemberData(amM_NAME, iAllowedMember), "display")
if AllowedMembersMemberID <> "" then
	Response.Write 	"                      		<option value=""" & AllowedMembersMemberID & """>" & AllowedMembersMemberName & "</option>" & vbNewline
end if
<

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

SiSL
Average Member

Turkey
671 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2005 :  14:22:15  Show Profile  Visit SiSL's Homepage
That's also great :) I guess with changes like that, its speed would be dramatically increased :)<

CHIP Online Forum

My Mods
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2005 :  07:22:48  Show Profile
Of course, it all depends on how many moderators of allowed members you have in any given forum but every little helps

<

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2006 :  02:52:04  Show Profile
I have added the changes suggested by SiSl in his first post to the 3.4.06 code base. I have also closed all objects that have been opened by the SET keyword in post.asp. Found quite a few of them.

Will add Shaggy's code later. But need persons to test it out on a forum with a large number of moderators and members to notice the speed increase made by his code changes.<

Support Snitz Forums

Edited by - Davio on 06 August 2006 02:52:27
Go to Top of Page

SiSL
Average Member

Turkey
671 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2006 :  05:55:58  Show Profile  Visit SiSL's Homepage
Wow, here we go :) Good work Davio :) May the force be with you :) Already so excited to hear more :)<

CHIP Online Forum

My Mods
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2006 :  00:12:37  Show Profile
Still need Shaggy's code tested. <

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2006 :  02:41:51  Show Profile
Shaggy's code has been added to 3.4.06.

Also more objects were closed in post_info.asp file.<

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2006 :  05:13:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Davio
Shaggy's code has been added to 3.4.06.
Yay! What do you know, maybe I do have some use 'round here after all!

<

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07