Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  10:02:59  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Just to give you all notice that the forum may be unavailable periodically over the coming weekend.

I am installing a nice new SQL server, dual 2.8GHz Xeon with 6Gb of ram, 2x120Gb striped SATA drives for the data,2x120Gb mirrored IDE drives for the log files and a 200Gb IDE for the backups.

So will be migrating the databases over the weekend, hopefully it ought to be considerably quicker than the current server.

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  10:10:37  Show Profile
Thanks for the heads up, Huw, and your continued work to keep these forums running so smoothly.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  10:22:21  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage

Hope everything goes without trouble, Huw.

Like Shaggy said, the work yo do to keep Snitz up and running is great.

De Priofundus Calmo Ad Te Damine
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  13:39:42  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message
quote:
I am installing a nice new SQL server, dual 2.8GHz Xeon with 6Gb of ram, 2x120Gb striped SATA drives for the data,2x120Gb mirrored IDE drives for the log files and a 200Gb IDE for the backups.

That can't come cheap.

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

My Mods: CAPTCHA Mod | GateKeeper Mod
Tutorial: Enable subscriptions on your board

Warning: The post above or below may contain nuts.
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  15:19:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Podge
That can't come cheap.

Good time to point you to this page then Podge http://forum.snitz.com/donations.asp

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  15:38:14  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
In comparison to the first PC I ever purchased it was pretty cheap at just under £2000 (GBP), the first pc I bought rather than built myself out of donated bits cost me £2500+ and was a 486 DX4100 with 128Mb of Ram and a wapping 500Mb HD which was the size of a house , funny really, in it's day it was the fastest pc around
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  15:55:57  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message
Its coming Davio. Just need to inflate my Paypal account a little more

HuwR, out of curiosity. Why do you purchase and co-locate (assumption) rather than rent?

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  16:10:49  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Podge

Its coming Davio. Just need to inflate my Paypal account a little more

HuwR, out of curiosity. Why do you purchase and co-locate (assumption) rather than rent?

I'd rather have my own server in my living room than rent one who knows where under who knows what kind of supervision

-Stim
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  16:35:09  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message
Same here but its not possible. In a country like the US where its possible to get high bandwidth relatively cheaply in your home (depending on where you are) its feasible.

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2005 :  16:56:21  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

Because it is cheaper to rent an empty rack and build my own servers, and I know exactly what they are and how they are setup, it is why I set up the hosting in the first place, got tired of crap unkowledgable support staff.
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2005 :  01:04:29  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
Not a bad server at all. Quite the hardware in that thing. It should be speedy. I have my own server as well. I'm lucky enough to work at a place where they will let me co-host it in thier server room. Security, power and backup systems, temp. controlled, and bandwidth provided by a DS-3 all for the low, low price of $0 a month. Heck, they even let me dump my important data onto the backup server for writing to tape every night and to get stored in off site location. It's kind of nice.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

stwilson

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2005 :  18:40:34  Show Profile  Visit stwilson's Homepage
Thanks Huw!!! We appreciate your effots to keep Snitz humming along.

Shannon
RidingArizona.com
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2005 :  09:43:14  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
going to be a few more delays I'm afraid, had a major disaster over the weekend which has put me way behind. I got the new servers installed ok, but when I got back home to start migrating all the databases my own PC went up in a puff of smoke, so had to spend most of the weekend fixing my machine instead of moving databases.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  05:49:52  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Ok, the database has been moved, so please report any problems which appear to be database related
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  06:23:08  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message
Search 1 & 2 seems to be back to normal (and faster).

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

Bassman

Netherlands
256 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2005 :  08:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Bassman's Homepage
This is indeed very fast..nice work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07