Events Calendar-multiple day events
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrBill
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2005 :  04:11:25  Show Profile
Couldn't find anything on this in the forums...

If I edit the end date for an event (4 days in this case), it doesn't take the change...instead it just always comes up as a single-day event. If I go in and edit the topic again the end date has reverted back to the same as the start date. "Recurring" is set to "Every Day", and I've tried all three "Edit Date" options. Aside from that it seems to be working fine.

Am I doing something wrong?

Forum software version 3.4.04. Events Calendar mod version 3.4.03.

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2005 :  05:41:36  Show Profile
Yeah.

If you want to edit a single date in a multiple-date event, you need to do it from cal.asp: select the date, and then click the Edit Date icon. It will then take you to the edit topic page. The URL is supposed to say something like post.asp?method=EditTopic&date=1/22/2005 (or whatever date you're editing). Then you have to pick Edit this date only so that the other dates are unaffected.

If you're editing the topic then it assumes that you want to edit the first date in that topic.

I hope that was clear enough. I'm trying to think of a better way to present that form so that it's not confusing like this.

My Mods:
New Events Calendar
New Non-database Active Users

Edited by - red1 on 22 January 2005 05:42:47
Go to Top of Page

MrBill
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2005 :  11:07:40  Show Profile
Yeah, it is quite confusing...but I was able to figure out what you're talking about. I did use the Edit Date link from cal.asp, the URL looks like so:

http://misterbill.homeip.net/forumtest/post.asp?method=EditTopic&TOPIC_ID=39&date=7/28/2005

...and selected "Edit this date only", but I get the same result, the "End Date" is being reverted back to the same as the "Start Date".

I do LOVE the mod...it's perfect for a Corvette forum , but the multiple-day events thing is a problem.

Thanks,

Bill
Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2005 :  11:42:32  Show Profile
quote:

but I get the same result, the "End Date" is being reverted back to the same as the "Start Date".

I'm not quite sure I get what you mean. If you mean when you're editing events, you see the end date the same as the start date, then yes that's by design. After you post the topic, each date in a multi-date event is stored separately. The value of the start date and end date are just used as markers and they're not really remembered after you've posted the topic. So when you're editing events, you're always editing just one instance of a date, so you see the end date the same as the start date.

Edited by - red1 on 22 January 2005 11:53:10
Go to Top of Page

MrBill
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2005 :  20:50:24  Show Profile
So you're saying that if I want to show an event that runs for 4 days, then each day has to have it's own topic? That's really going to make a mess of things. Is there no way to "point" multiple days to the same topic?

Bill
Go to Top of Page

MrBill
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2005 :  23:32:16  Show Profile
I think I figured out how to make it do what I want...though maybe I'm doing it the hard way I don't know.....

For a multiple-day single event, in this case basically a car show that runs for 4 days...

-Create the topic for the first day of the event.
-Create the topic for the second day of the event.
-Open the Access database, FORUM_CAL_EVENTS table, and change the TOPIC_ID of the entry for the second day of the event to the same TOPIC_ID for the first day.
-Delete the topic for the second day of the event
-Repeat all of the above for the 3rd and 4th days.

After all this the calendar shows the same event for the 4 days, and the single topic for the event shows the 4 days also (instead of 4 individual topics for the same event).

To see what I'm talking about go to http://misterbill.homeip.net/forumtest Open the Events Calendar and go to the month of July. The 4-day event is called "Vettes On The Rockies" and runs from July 28 to July 31 2005. Clicking on any of the 4 days in the calendar for July will bring up the same "Vettes On The Rockies" link which in turn will bring up the same topic (TOPIC_ID). This is what I wanted, and although a bit cumbersome (just a little, not really bad), does seem to work.

I will be the only one adding/deleting events, so that won't be a problem.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2005 :  06:36:47  Show Profile
quote:

> So you're saying that if I want to show an event that runs for 4 days, then each day has to have it's own topic? That's really going to make a mess of things. Is there no way to "point" multiple days to the same topic?

Bill

no no no no no, this mod is especially for recurring events, so it can do exactly what you want.

When you're posting the event, can't you just set the start date, end date, and set recurring to every day? That would have accomplished what you wanted.

My Mods:
New Events Calendar
Go to Top of Page

MrBill
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2005 :  13:14:00  Show Profile
Well, that's kinda what I expected...but no that's not what's happening. If I do this:

-Create a new event
-Set the start date
-Set the end date (4 days later in this case),
-Set "Recurring" to "Every Day"

Then the event is ONLY applied to the first day, the other three days are as if nothing was ever assigned to them. If I go back in and edit the topic, then the End Date is the same as the Start Date.

You can log in to the "test copy" at http://misterbill.homeip.net/forumtest using snitz/admin for user/pw and try it yourself if you like.

Thanks red...'preciate the help.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

MrBill
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2005 :  13:41:02  Show Profile
Well I guess I should be slapped or something. Creating a new multiple-day event works fine now. I didn't touch one single line of code...so I MUST have been doing something wrong.

However, editing dates still does not work. If I edit the topic from topic.asp, then the dates always come up as Start Date = End Date (both are the original Start Date). If I edit the topic from cal.asp (using the Edit Date link) then Start Date = End Date (both are original End Date). Either way, and no matter which of the three Edit Date options are selected, the calendar always shows the original dates (nothing changes).
Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 25 January 2005 :  08:53:42  Show Profile
quote:

Well I guess I should be slapped or something. Creating a new multiple-day event works fine now. I didn't touch one single line of code...so I MUST have been doing something wrong.

ok I'm glad to hear that

quote:

However, editing dates still does not work. If I edit the topic from topic.asp, then the dates always come up as Start Date = End Date (both are the original Start Date). If I edit the topic from cal.asp (using the Edit Date link) then Start Date = End Date (both are original End Date). Either way, and no matter which of the three Edit Date options are selected, the calendar always shows the original dates (nothing changes).

I told you that's by design. When you're editing, you see Start date = End date because you're only editing ONE date. But you can still do all sorts of edits on that date, like extend it, or delete it if it gets cancelled, or make events with unusual recurrences, like events that are mondays only but after 4 weeks become wednesdays only, etc. I guess there should be something there to indicate that you're only editing ONE date.

My Mods:
New Events Calendar
Go to Top of Page

wayofcain
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2005 :  17:01:03  Show Profile
I am having the same problem. I am using this for a car club website also. I have done what Bill has for our car show. I get this response when entering a start date, a later date 3 days later and Set "Recurring" to "Every Day".

3Recurring Events cannot have more than 1 dates.
Go to Top of Page

wayofcain
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08 February 2005 :  17:08:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wayofcain

I am having the same problem. I am using this for a car club website also. I have done what Bill has for our car show. I get this response when entering a start date, a later date 3 days later and Set "Recurring" to "Every Day".

3Recurring Events cannot have more than 1 dates.

Please disregard. I had set the cal_config.asp page incorrectly.

the tag
' Maximum number of dates for recurring events
' Do not set this too high

Const intCalMaxRecords = 90

I had it set to one instead of 90
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07