Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 We need an Internet Provider ... any suggestions?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2004 :  21:38:40  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

We currently have Internet on dial-up through our phone company which has their connection through an outfit called "InfoAvenue". The connection is horribly slow, and we regularly get disconnected. Their service costs $19.95. If an account gets disconnected for lateness the reconnect fee is $15.00 which is $3.00 more than a reconnect fee for regular telephone service. I know we are getting very poor service and are ready for a change!

I am hesitant to go with AOL. Walmart Connect doesn't have an access number that is local to us eventhough we are very close to Charlotte, North Carolina (USA). I know there is Juno. I had them years ago in college, not sure what they are like now.

The cable company here is the same company that provides telephone service.

What is satelite all about? Is it a good deal?

Are there some dial-up companies out there which are still reasonable and offer consistently fair service?

Thanks,

Etymon

seven

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2004 :  13:14:00  Show Profile  Visit seven's Homepage
I take it your in the "sticks". Rural internet access still lacks a lot in the US. If you cna get the 2-way satellite internet it may be ok, but sometimes they only offer 1-way where you still need a phone line to "send".

Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2004 :  14:36:34  Show Profile
If you want to do any kind of gaming, forget satelite. Can't offer any other help.
Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2004 :  14:49:48  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
I see you're in south carolina, see if there is TimeWarner Cable around, if so they're a reasonable company (bit expensive) but the service is good.

If they're not around, chances are Bellsouth or Comcast might be, both cable internet.

Timewarner is part of AOL I think, but you dont have to use the AOL software if you get a cable connection, aol software sucks, but When I lived in North Carolina we had Timewarner cable internet, it was decent service.

-Stim

Edited by - Da_Stimulator on 05 December 2004 14:50:49
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2004 :  23:27:48  Show Profile
Satellite is OK until the satellite breaks. I have a business customer on Starband who lost his internet and it won't be coming back because the problem is with the satellite, not on earth.

Maybe you'll have to move

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 06 December 2004 :  00:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
quote:

Maybe you'll have to move

LOL, well, I actually live in the city, pretty close to Carowinds (a Paramount theme park).

What has happened is that several individual companies which provided phone, cable, etc. banned together and formed a cooperative of sorts called Comporium Communications or the Comporium Group (http://www.comporium.net). These companies were all located in two counties, so now the one company spands this area.

Below is a quote of their "About Us" page:

quote:
The Comporium® Group of companies have provided communications services to customers in York and Lancaster counties for more than 100 years.

By working more closely together, the Comporium Group of companies will make it easier for their more than 95,000 residential and commercial customers to access a broad range of communication services, including local telephone, long distance, wireless, cable TV, Internet, security, data services and directory publishing. Members of the Comporium Group of companies are: Comporium Communications, Comporium Data Services, Comporium Long Distance, Comporium Publishing, Comporium Security and Comporium Telecom. Under this concept, the Comporium Group is uniquely positioned to offer customers one-stop-shopping for all their communications needs.

DaStimulator suggested somethings for my area which I haven't yet investigated. I'll research them and see what comes up.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 07 December 2004 :  23:31:58  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Here's a link that list ISP's by state:

http://southcarolina.findanisp.com/ (This is for South Carolina)

I'm still searching for an ISP. AOL doesn't even have an Access Number here. LOL!

More later ...
Go to Top of Page

pdrg
Support Moderator

United Kingdom
2897 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2004 :  05:10:18  Show Profile  Send pdrg a Yahoo! Message
Etymon, thank you for reassuring and reminding us that it's not all broadband for all in the USA - we always hear of how 'wired' USA is, and it does us good to see America has the same problems as the ROTW!
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2004 :  13:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Sure thing, pdrg!

I think there is just a monopoly in this area.
Go to Top of Page

kwhipp

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2004 :  19:27:14  Show Profile  Visit kwhipp's Homepage  Send kwhipp an AOL message  Send kwhipp an ICQ Message  Send kwhipp a Yahoo! Message
I remember hearing good things abount Toast.net. I did not see Charlotte listed, but see if there is an access number in your area http://www.toast.net/numbers/

- Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2004 :  00:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Thanks, Kevin.

I tried, but there are no access numbers here.
Go to Top of Page

kwhipp

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2004 :  17:19:31  Show Profile  Visit kwhipp's Homepage  Send kwhipp an AOL message  Send kwhipp an ICQ Message  Send kwhipp a Yahoo! Message
I have to agree with Doug G ... MOVE!

- Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07