New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cshurley
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04 October 2004 :  16:44:17  Show Profile
Is there a combination of std settings I can use that will allow a topic to only be replied to by its originator or a moderator?

I have a need to use the forum as a support mechanism where questions can only be answered by approved users or by the originator.

Edited by - ruirib on 07 October 2004 14:57:22

Jezmeister

United Kingdom
1141 Posts

Posted - 04 October 2004 :  18:37:31  Show Profile  Visit Jezmeister's Homepage
If the author of the topic was an admin or moderator you could simply lock the topics - that'd stop anyone except other moderator/admins replying, otherwise I don't think there is.
Go to Top of Page

cshurley
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04 October 2004 :  19:39:15  Show Profile
yeah, I agree, its pretty easy to fix for moderator restriction, however I need a way for the topic originator to be able to post as well. This allows the board to act as a publically viewable customer support mechanism, without turning it into a public bulletin board (which would require more time to moderate it)
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 04 October 2004 :  22:49:33  Show Profile
You could work the "Post Reply" button off the mlev, I think mlev is :

0 - guest
1 - logged in
2 - thread creator
3 - moderator
4 - admin

So not a standard setting, but if you find the code (possibly in post_info.asp) that checks mlev just make it >1 rather than >0

PS. This is only a best guess, I don't have any Snitz code here at the moment, but I can check this later on to confirm.
Go to Top of Page

cshurley
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2004 :  14:34:57  Show Profile
in just glancing at the code, looks like this will solve the problem. Has anybody made any changes like this, who could share what you had to change? This would save some time in walking the code to see how many places it might have to change.
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2004 :  09:53:54  Show Profile
mlev 1 = Author
mlev 2 = Normal User

You can add mlev <> 2 to the post links in forum.asp and topic.asp to restrict the links to admins, mods, authors and "not logged in".
The post links for forum.asp are in the sub "TopicMemberOptions()" near the bottom of the page. In topic.asp sub "PostingOptions()" and the reply w/quote links in replies and the "GetFirst" sub.

And the following will keep out the URL Editors .

In post.asp find this code
		case "Reply", "ReplyQuote", "TopicQuote"
			if ((blnCStatus = 0) or (blnFStatus = 0) or (blnTStatus = 0)) and (AdminAllowed = 0) then
				Go_Result "You have attempted to Reply to a Locked Topic"
			end if

Add this right under it
if mLev = 2 then
                                 Response.Write	"      <p align=""center""><font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strDefaultFontSize & """ color=""" & strHiLiteFontColor & """><b>Only an Admin, a Moderator or Author can Reply to the Topic!</b></font><br />" & _
			                        "<br /><font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strDefaultFontSize & """><a href=""JavaScript:onClick=history.go(-1)"">Go Back to Topic</a></font></p>" & vbNewLine
                                 WriteFooter
                                 Response.End

And in post_info.asp find this code
if MethodType = "Reply" or MethodType = "ReplyQuote" or MethodType = "TopicQuote" then

Add this right under it. (I just stole this from "EditTopic" and pasted it here. You will need to change the messages in red)
select case Member 
		case 0 '## Invalid Pword
			Go_Result "Invalid Password or UserName", 0
			Response.End
		case 1 '## Author of Post so OK
			'## Do Nothing
		case 2 '## Normal User - Not Authorised
			Go_Result "Only an Admin, a Moderator or the Author can change this post", 0
			Response.End
		case 3 '## Moderator so 
			if chkForumModerator(Forum_ID, strDBNTUserName) = "0" then
				Go_Result "Only an Admin, a Moderator or the Author can change this post", 0
			end if
			if strTopicAuthor = intAdminMemberID and MemberID <> intAdminMemberID then
				Go_Result "Only the Forum Admin can change this post", 0
			end if
		case 4 '## Admin so OK
			if strTopicAuthor = intAdminMemberID and MemberID <> intAdminMemberID then
				Go_Result "Only the Forum Admin can change this post", 0
			end if
			'## Do Nothing
		case else 
			Go_Result cstr(Member), 0
			Response.End
	end select

Hope this helps

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

cshurley
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10 October 2004 :  14:28:11  Show Profile
thank you, the changes to post and post_info work fine

I'm having a problem identifying someone as topic owner in topic.asp and forum.asp though.

Using your suggestion, I'm checking this in PostingOptions in topic.asp.

mlev is always 0,2,3,or 4, it doesn't appear to ever actually be 1 (i've checked for this in several of the pgms). I can use the chkuser func to match the level, however I need the user name, password and topic author to do that. User name and topic author appear to be available however I don't know if password is available.

any suggestions

Edited by - cshurley on 10 October 2004 22:01:17
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 11 October 2004 :  07:57:13  Show Profile
You're right about mlev.

In topic.asp this is the code for the "edit topic icon".
	if (AdminAllowed = 1 or TMember_ID = MemberID) then
		if ((Cat_Status <> 0) and (Forum_Status <> 0) and (Topic_Status <> 0)) or (AdminAllowed = 1) then
			Response.Write	"                       <a href=""post.asp?" & ArchiveLink & "method=EditTopic&REPLY_ID=" & Topic_ID & "&TOPIC_ID=" & Topic_ID & "&FORUM_ID=" & Forum_ID & """>" & getCurrentIcon(strIconEditTopic,"Edit Topic","align=""absmiddle"" hspace=""6""") & "</a>" & vbNewLine
		end if
	end if

AdminAllowed checks for admin and forum moderators. TMember_ID is the topic author.
Checking TMember_ID should work on the links in topic.asp.

if ((Cat_Status <> 0 and Forum_Status <> 0 and Topic_Status = 1) or (AdminAllowed = 1 and Topic_Status <= 1)) and TMember_ID = MemberID and ArchiveView = "" then
				Response.Write	"                       <a href=""post.asp?" & ArchiveLink & "method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=" & Reply_ReplyID & "&TOPIC_ID=" & Topic_ID & "&FORUM_ID=" & Forum_ID & """>" & getCurrentIcon(strIconReplyTopic,"Reply with Quote","align=""absmiddle"" hspace=""6""") & "</a>" & vbNewLine
			end if

And Topic_Author is what you need in forum.asp
	if Topic_Status <= 1 and ArchiveView = "" and Topic_Author = MemberID then
		Response.Write	"                <a href=""post.asp?" & ArchiveLink & "method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=" & Topic_ID & "&FORUM_ID=" & Forum_ID & """>" & getCurrentIcon(strIconReplyTopic,"Reply to Topic","hspace=""0""") & "</a>" & vbNewLine
 	end if

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

cshurley
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11 October 2004 :  18:45:48  Show Profile
this works great. Thank You!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07