forum changes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

J_Man
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2004 :  00:55:31  Show Profile
I've always wanted to change two things about snitz forums. I'd like to always have the "All Forums" link in the top navigation when your on catogory display page this page has a drop down, but you can see what I mean http://forum.snitz.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=6. I also wanted to turn off the sign in when you want to change your profile, it's annoying. Would someone tell me what I should do (which files) to change these features.

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2004 :  07:49:19  Show Profile
I'm probably misunderstanding what you're trying to do but clicking the logo at the top of any forum page will bring you back to default.asp making an "all forums" link in the menu a bit redundant. Having said that you can add a link to the main menu by modifying the sForumNavigation() sub towards the end of inc_header.asp. If you need exact code changes, post back and I'll write 'em up for you.

Before we give you the code changes for removing the login for prifile modification, bear in mind that some of your members may be accessing your forums from a public or shared computer. If they forget to logout when leaving the machine, the next person to use it could make changes to that person's profile including their password. The login is a security feature to stop that happening. If you still want to go ahead with it, though, let us know; I'm sure it can't be too difficult.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

J_Man
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2004 :  08:55:15  Show Profile
I beleive most forums don't require login for profile changes. I'd like to reduce logging in only to admin login, no login to delete post, this is not a military operation, I don't think the extra logins are neccissary. How would I do this?

Edited by - J_Man on 05 August 2004 09:12:30
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2004 :  12:40:53  Show Profile
Whateber about profiles, I'd strongly advise against removing the need to ligin to the admin area and when performing admin/moderator functions. If you or your moderators forget to logout on a machine that other people have accesss to, you're leaving your self open to a whole range of problems.

In a bit of a rush at the moment but I'll crack open me files first thing in the morning and give you the code changes to remove the login to edit your profile (and the others, if you are 100% certain you want to run that risk).

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page

J_Man
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2004 :  19:12:40  Show Profile
I don't want to remove admin/mod precautions, just stupid things, I don't want to have to login to delete a post, it's silly. And if they don't check the "remember me" it logs them out on exit, correct?

Edited by - J_Man on 05 August 2004 19:12:55
Go to Top of Page

J_Man
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 08 August 2004 :  06:39:29  Show Profile
Did you do it and post it somewhere else or no time yet?
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 08 August 2004 :  07:28:10  Show Profile
When you view a single category, there is a folder icon in the category header. That is the link to all categories.
It's right under the drop down box.

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2004 :  09:21:13  Show Profile
No time; been wicked busy since my last post here with a couple of sites getting dumped on me all at once. Of course, they all needed to launch "yesterday"!

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page

J_Man
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2004 :  19:19:40  Show Profile
Oh, whenever you can is fine, in fact I'm changing my site and it's down anyway.
Go to Top of Page

J_Man
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2004 :  03:15:30  Show Profile
(bump) any can you do it yet?
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2004 :  13:16:49  Show Profile
Just about cleared the backlog of work; should be able to get onto this for you tomorrow, gonna write a reminder on me hand, just in case.

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page

J_Man
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2004 :  04:00:21  Show Profile
thanks, my site is going back up today.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07