Alias or Display Name MOD???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Synapse
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2004 :  14:34:56  Show Profile
I am thinking about modding the latest release to use an Alias for the Display Name of a user. The reason I would like to do this is because I would like to use the Snitz forum database as my user database for a website, thus integrating Snitz fully.

What I don't want is the actual username used to login to the site as the display name in the forums as it currently is. I would like to add an Alias or Display name to the system for this reason.

Has anyone already done this? If not, does anyone have any ideas as to where to start and things to be careful of? Anyone thought of doing this before?

Synapse
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2004 :  17:41:47  Show Profile
What is the field M_NAME used for in the MEMBERS table?
Go to Top of Page

Synapse
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2004 :  20:33:44  Show Profile
Ok...before I go any further with this...I just need to know one thing...IS 'M_NAME' ONLY USED FOR DISPLAY?

If this is the case, could I just provide a field for this at registration and require it to be unique? As well as give acccess to edit it in the profile?
Go to Top of Page

Synapse
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2004 :  20:43:03  Show Profile
Nevermind...I think I found it...it looks like both are used for authentication...so to do what I want I need to add a new 'Alias' field, make it unique, and change the code every place that displays the User Name to display the Alias.
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2004 :  04:21:41  Show Profile
M_NAME is only used for NT Authentication. I.E, if you're running Snitz on a locla intranet M_NAME will be used otherwise M_USERNAME will be used. So, yes, you could modify the code to use the M_USERNAME field for the login name and M_NAME for the display name. It's something I plan on doing meself with just the admin account so that the admin login name isn't displayed anywhere on the forums.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

Synapse
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2004 :  12:59:56  Show Profile
Without actually trying to go through all the code and find where M_NAME is used, I think it is going to be more safe to start from scratch in my case. I want the 'Alias' or display name to be displayed wherever the user name is currently displayed in the main forum pages. As for the Admin pages, I will just add the Alias so that Admin can see the actual user name as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Shaggy

M_NAME is only used for NT Authentication. I.E, if you're running Snitz on a locla intranet M_NAME will be used otherwise M_USERNAME will be used. So, yes, you could modify the code to use the M_USERNAME field for the login name and M_NAME for the display name. It's something I plan on doing meself with just the admin account so that the admin login name isn't displayed anywhere on the forums.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07