New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2004 :  22:46:39  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Shaggy, pknaz, Nertz. Great work

I'm testing at the moment in pop_profile.asp. I get the following error when trying to test any password against any of the conditions:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'IsValidString'

/pop_profile.asp, line 1211
if strAuthType = "db" then
'## check for presence of "special" characters or spaces
if not IsValidString(trim(Request.Form("Password"))) or instr(trim(Request.Form("Password")), " ") <> 0 then Err_Msg = Err_Msg & "<li>You may not use spaces nor any of these characters in your password !#$%^&*()=+{}[]|\;:/?>,<' </li>"
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2004 :  23:21:13  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Testing on register.asp

Check for password same as username works
Check for password less than 8 characters works
Check for numerals within password does not work - passes registration ok
Check for numeral as 1st character does not work - passes registration ok

Ignore my error for pop_profile.asp, I simply pasted the block of code above over the 2 occurrences of the password checks I found on the page which was probably incorrect.

Edited by - StephenD on 06 August 2004 23:22:33
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2004 :  23:42:26  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
I was just thinking of a way of implementing this on a live forum and came up with the following idea:

1. Get the encrypted key of a password known to you (your own) out of the DB or your own cookie.
2. Send an email out to all members or post a news topic advising of a change of password security policy with a date/time for when it goes into effect.
3. Close the forum down and backup the DB.
4. Use osql or admin_mod_dbsetup to update the members table and set all members passwords to this key.
5. Assuming we had applied this mod to password.asp too (guys ) put a temporary message above the 'forgot your password' link in logon.asp and inc_header.asp stating the new security policy is now in effect.
6. Reopen Forum.

Anyone see any problems with this?
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 08 August 2004 :  01:16:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by daniel123
there is such mod available at shnforum.com

That mod stores the users password at registration time and when editing thier profile, before thier password is encrypted.
If I found out the administrator of a forum I participate in, did that, I would leave immediately. I wouldn't sign up at any forum that practiced keeping my password in clear text in the database just so the admin can see my password when he feels like it.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

pknaz

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2004 :  12:36:34  Show Profile  Visit pknaz's Homepage  Send pknaz an AOL message  Send pknaz an ICQ Message  Send pknaz a Yahoo! Message
Hi Shaggy,

One suggestion I have is to store [Request.Form("Password")] as a variable, and call that variable throughout your script. This improves the performance and scalability of your scripting.

Otherwise, great work

Edited by - pknaz on 09 August 2004 12:37:04
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2004 :  05:03:05  Show Profile
Good idea, Pknaz. There's some things you don't think of after you've been working with Snitz for a while!

Edited my post above with the necessary changes.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2004 :  16:50:49  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Shaggy,

Actually, the check for a combination of alpha-numeric password or alpha as first character works when you remove this part of the code

'## remove " or lcase(left(trim(strTempPass),1)) <> i" below if first chracter does not need to be alpha

Fantastic, going to play with password.asp now.
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2004 :  04:45:43  Show Profile
Was that comment causing problems?

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2004 :  19:44:04  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
It was just this bit: or lcase(left(trim(strTempPass),1)) <> i which needed to be removed from the line below the commented line for the numeral checks to work?
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2004 :  06:23:11  Show Profile
The numerical check didn't work with that included in the if statment? That's odd. Anyway, I've edited the code above to make it easier to remove the check for the first charcter being alpha which should resolve any problems there.

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2004 :  06:52:09  Show Profile
Updated the code above to include the changes Richard detailed here. You'll still need to make the change to line 235 yourself.

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07