Smiley Table In Quick Post
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ares

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  17:00:37  Show Profile
Sometimes, even though the mods want you to use the search prior to asking a question about a mod, it's not so practical. Maybe you'll have to sort through tons of search responses/threads to find your answer, maybe the thing is so well hidden it becomes more of a problem to search for the rarity than to just post the question again, or to contact other members. For this reason i'm posting this code modification. I know it's been discussed a number of times, and people still show up and ask about how to do it, where the code is at, etc. Maybe this will help a few find the answer quicker.

This is the code to add the smiley table to the quickpost box at the bottom of topic.asp . This modification is in another smiley mod that i havent looked at personally. You'd use this code mod if you weren't planning on using any of the other smiley mods. This is just a plain and simple mod to put the smilies in quick post. Nothing more. This is what i did on one of my own forums. There may or may not be more that needs to be done (you could always do more to enhance it), but this is bare bones and it seems to be working fine for me. Again, this doesnt add any other smileys or any fancy things. Hope this is helpful for the few who need it. If there are any additions or modifications that i find i'll post an update. As of now, this is all i know that is required.

At Line: 1137 of TOPIC.asp (Your copy of Topic.asp might be different, mine is customized)
Look for this:

if strSignatures = "1" then
		Response.Write	"                      <br /><input name=""Sig"" type=""checkbox"" value=""yes""" & chkCheckbox(intSigDefault,1,true) & ">Include Signature<br />" & vbNewLine
	end if

This is the last item of colum 1 in the quick post table. The Signature checkbox. Add this directly after it, on the next line (Hit Return to make a space to add this). It's line 1140 on mine.

if strIcons = "1" and strShowSmiliesTable = "1" then

%>
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_smilies.asp" -->
<%
		end if

That's all you need to do. If you have questions, email me. It's pretty easy and self explanatory, and again i'm sure it's posted in other places/other topics. My ending code looks like this for reference...
Begins at line 1137:

Response.Write	"                      <br /><input name=""Sig"" type=""checkbox"" value=""yes""" & chkCheckbox(intSigDefault,1,true) & ">Include Signature<br />" & vbNewLine
	end if
	if strIcons = "1" and strShowSmiliesTable = "1" then

%>
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_smilies.asp" -->
<%
		end if
	Response.Write	"                      </font></td>" & vbNewLine & _
			"                    </tr>" & vbNewLine & _
			"                  </table>" & vbNewLine & _

Also note, that you may want to change the size of the TEXT AREA since adding the smileys will make the table larger. Just change the number of ROWS from 6 to however many you want. For mine, i gave it 10. That specific line is 1150 on mine, and looks like this:

<td width=""" & strTopicWidthRight & """ bgColor=""" & strForumCellColor & """><textarea name=""Message"" cols=""50"" rows=""10"" wrap=""VIRTUAL"" style=""width:100%""></textarea><br /></td>" & vbNewLine & _

- Ares

Edited by - Ares on 07 May 2004 17:02:18

weeweeslap

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  04:34:03  Show Profile  Visit weeweeslap's Homepage  Send weeweeslap an AOL message  Send weeweeslap a Yahoo! Message
what I did to my site is add a link under where it tells you if html or forum code is turned on, I added a pop up link to open a pop up window instead of showing the smilies, saves space and convenient, here's the code changes I did:

if strAllowHTML = "1" then
		Response.Write	"                      * HTML is ON<br />" & vbNewLine
	else
		Response.Write	"                      * HTML is OFF<br />" & vbNewLine
	end if
	if strAllowForumCode = "1" then
		Response.Write	"                      * <a href=""JavaScript:openWindow6('pop_forum_code.asp')"">Forum Code</a> is ON<br />" & vbNewLine
	else
		Response.Write	"                      * Forum Code is OFF<br />" & vbNewLine
	end if
		Response.Write	"                        * <a href=""JavaScript:openWindow3('pop_new_smiles.asp')"">View Smile List</a><br />" & vbNewLine

I added the part in red which is right above your line:

end if

just another option for users if you don't want the smilies showing like that.

coaster crazy
Go to Top of Page

dpmcalister

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  06:23:15  Show Profile  Visit dpmcalister's Homepage
Thanks for this, I was just thinking of doing something like this myself. Saves me having to think about it
Go to Top of Page

Ares

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  16:22:50  Show Profile
Thanks, Weeweeslap, for your code. This is yet another way to go about doing this. I personally feel something like this should be added to the next version of Snitz. I admit though, that i haven't looked at 3.4.4 (i still use 3.4.3). I'm glad though that it's helped someone out already. Any other alternatives are welcome! :)

- Ares
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07