Help: MOD Implementation
 100% forum width in fixed div width
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mykel_suthertun

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2004 :  02:03:31  Show Profile  Visit mykel_suthertun's Homepage
Using D3mon's Site Integration mod, I was able to successfully add the entire forum inside a div #maincontentfull which is 747px wide. The parent table in inc_header was originally set for 100%, but it was 100% of the browser width as opposed to 100% of the #maincontentfull div. Therefore, I changed the table to width="720", and that took care of almost all my problems.
On certain pages where there are a lot of elements taking up width on a page, the forum will overlap my #maincontentfull div slightly. Is it possible to make the table width always 100% of the #maincontent div as opposed to 100% of the browser window?

It's hard to see what I'm talking about without an admin login, but here's my forum anyway: http://www.drivethe.com/new/forum/default.asp.

Thank you.

Mike Southerton
Webmaster | Don'tSayDie.com | DriveThe.com

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2004 :  08:33:43  Show Profile
Your link isn't right, needs to be http://www.drivethe.com/new/forum/default.asp Remove the period at the end.
I assume the table is breaking when the folders show up on the right-side? Anyway I have three simple solutions you can try.
1. Turn of your "moderator" column in admin options. (you will still have mods it just eliminates that column)
2. If you want the moderators to show you can go into the code and find "Moderator(s)" and shorten it (Maybe "Mods" or something else shorter ).
3. You can also find the <td> cell that holds your forum titles and descriptions and add the word wrap <td wrap>.

I'm suggesting these because I think you just have to much stuff to fit into 720px .

Also I looked at your source code and you have 2 links to your external style sheet /css/forum.css, one in the <head> and one in the <body>. You need tho remove the one in the <body>.

<edit> I forgot why I looked at your source code in the 1st place . You say you have a fixed width on you division, 700 something px, but there are no div widths in the source. I've never looked at the site integration mod but maybe you missed something? </edit>

_-/Cripto9t\-_

Edited by - cripto9t on 15 February 2004 08:43:18
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2004 :  08:34:50  Show Profile
most likely it's not due to the 100%, but due to cells that are set as nowrap. My guess is that one of your problems is the sort row at the bottom of forum.asp in combination with the cell containing the admin icons. You could change those so that they will wrap. However, for topic.asp, things like someone posting a large image or using the code tags will do this as well and you won't be able to prevent that unless you don't allow forum code or images.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 15 February 2004 :  08:53:14  Show Profile
Nikkol and I posted about the same time . I just want to say what I suggested above is concerning the default.asp .

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

mykel_suthertun

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  19:42:48  Show Profile  Visit mykel_suthertun's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cripto9t

You say you have a fixed width on you division, 700 something px, but there are no div widths in the source.
The div #maincontentfull is the div I'm talking about, and its width is specified in the external css.

I've been working with it for a while with no luck. The table doesn't break, but now there's a new problem. On every page, there are about 20 pixels of unwanted space to the right of the background border. I'm looking at my source code now, and it's pretty messy (i.e. multiple closing body and html tags). When I get the time I'm probably going to have to re-download the Site Integration mod and compare files.

If anyone could very easily figure it how to include my header and footer files, I'd appreciate it. I'm kind of guessing.

Mike Southerton
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  09:38:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mykel_suthertun

The div #maincontentfull is the div I'm talking about, and its width is specified in the external css.

My mistake, I had the wrong URL . You have another outside the folder with just scrollbar css on it.
quote:
Originally posted by mykel_suthertun

On every page, there are about 20 pixels of unwanted space to the right of the background border.

You can try
background-repeat: repeat-y
in your style sheet.

You have 3 <div> opened before the 1st <table>, but the </div> closing tags are all before the </table>, they should be after. This is probably why you have the extra space at the side .

The best advice I can give you when working with divisions is to give each one a temporary border with each one a different color, that way you will be able to see exactly what each one is doing.

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

mykel_suthertun

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  23:47:22  Show Profile  Visit mykel_suthertun's Homepage
quote:
You have 3 <div> opened before the 1st <table>, but the </div> closing tags are all before the </table>, they should be after. This is probably why you have the extra space at the side.
Thank you! Finally!!!
I think that was part of the reason, but it didn't start working until after I went into inc_header and inc_footer and changed all the tables to width=""700"". I also had to remove part of the Site Integration Mod code - I completely butchered the code so that if I ever wanted to include inc_siteleft.asp or inc_siteright.asp I'd be SOL. Oh well, it works dam_it!
Thanks again for all of your help. I'm going to go out and celebrate now.

Snitz Rules! Oh...did I say that out loud?

Mike Southerton
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07