Page: of 2

jensen

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  12:08:56  Show Profile
Re red1's NEW EVENTS CALENDAR MOD FOR SNITZ

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35773

Great mod, very usefull.

Can it be considered for inclusion the the next base code update?

Edited by - jensen on 18 February 2004 04:49:14

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  16:00:22  Show Profile
I doubt very much it will be added to the base code. The new features for v.4 have already been locked down.

IMHO there are other mods that need to be added to the base code before you add the Calendar MOD.
Go to Top of Page

Radianation

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2004 :  04:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Radianation's Homepage  Send Radianation an ICQ Message
Like what? Snitz is falling behind PHPBB2 and I'm finding myself wanting to switch. Calendar mod is the most important feature on my forum. =(
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2004 :  04:17:39  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Why should the inclusion or not of a calendar mod mean Snitz is falling behind PHPBB2, We are not in a race

IMHO, the forum is far better having this stuff as MODS, not evryone wants an all singing all dancing forum, many people are quite happy to have a basic Snitz. Encorporating mods into the base code will be detrimental to those users.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2004 :  04:18:30  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Also, jensen, please do not post Topics in capital letters, we do not appreciate being shouted at.
Go to Top of Page

Radianation

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  15:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Radianation's Homepage  Send Radianation an ICQ Message
Well, why should I have to reprogram the forum everytime there is an update? Why not have the forum come with all of the standard features people expect from a forum, and allow them to enable or disable them just as we do with the "extra" options in a users profile. This way, if somebody doesn't want a cal. mod then they just uncheck the box.

It seems very logical. The mod community is great, but I can't stand messing with other people's code when trying to implement the mods. Something as simple as the poll mod + calendar mod is enough to give me a headache (because it still doesn't work 100% correctly).

I do not *want* to switch to PHPBB2, but it does seem to have a lot of the features I want right out of the box.

I think my main point here is that a calendar mod is not something only a few members of a forum would be interested in...
Go to Top of Page

ajhvdb

Netherlands
392 Posts

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  15:58:36  Show Profile
I dont't agree with you about the calendar mod :-) but agree with you about setting an option on of off :-(
Go to Top of Page

jensen

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  04:58:35  Show Profile
HuwR - Sorry for the CAPS - edited post title

Laser - You say "The new features for v.4 have already been locked down", is there somewhere we can look at the "up and comming" feature list?

I am not planning on switching to any other forum, snitz is great, reliable, easy to run and yes it is "fun" to play about with mods to "increase" the forums performance. I just think that some mods do enhance the forum for most users. Something like tha calander mod, if installed as part of the base code, could have an overriding "feature on /off" admin option so the few users that don't want it - don't have too.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  06:14:28  Show Profile
This debate comes up about every month or so; "why don't the developers add mod x to the base code?" and I have to admit to being one of the people wondering the same thing about some of my favourite Mods when I first started out with Snitz. However, as I became more involved here, I came to accept and understand the developers reasoniing for not doing so (which Huw already touvhed on above):

1) What may be an essential mod (in this case the events calendar) for you may not be for me and vice versa, who is to decide which mods should be added to the base code and which shouldn't.

2) Why make the base code any more bloated with mods that, realistically, only a handful of people are going to use. Also, the additional admin options required for each mod may scare some "newbies" away from a product that appears too complicated to setup.

And from a personal stand point, had I not had to spend hours upon hours adding mods, tweaking code, etc. to get my Snitz forums working just the way I wanted, I wouldn't have learned diddly about ASP and I'd still be buildiing websites in boring, static HTML.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  07:18:23  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
The only new feature in 4 will be the addition of the timezone mod, other than the complete rewrite of every file that Bozden did to make it multilanguage that is.
Go to Top of Page

jensen

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  07:32:28  Show Profile
OK, comments taken on board.
Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  08:23:20  Show Profile
I should point out, that the Snitz development team has plans to incorporate some mods into the base code. This was planned for the version after v4.0.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  12:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
I believe Active Users, Polls and PM should be added to the basecode, but should have options to turn off and should be turned off by default. But again, we have other modded forums like SHN, that we can use... So, I have a mixed feeling.

»Snitz Graphics
Go to Top of Page

libosis

62 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  16:55:15  Show Profile
Hi guys I've just been pointed to this thread as I was having the same sort of query elsewhere ...

As far as base mods that I think are essential (been running snitz boards for 2 years, 1000+ members, 300,000 + posts, 5-7000 posts a week currently and growing) ...

The main features that people want are:

Definately Active Users (currently modded)
PM
Polls
More dynamic ranking (ie: more than the base 6 me thinks)
File Transfer

Thats definately things that are very popular and highly useful.

What are the mods being added to the base code for v4 and do you have a timeline or tentative release date?

Cheers
Libosis
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  17:34:02  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

What are the mods being added to the base code for v4

try reading the posts
Go to Top of Page

libosis

62 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  18:39:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

The only new feature in 4 will be the addition of the timezone mod, other than the complete rewrite of every file that Bozden did to make it multilanguage that is.

Well this is the only thing that I can see.

Is this the only feature being introduced in Version 4 as you've suggested being the only feature?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07