Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 File permissions in Windows XP
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  23:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
I installed XP with only my name, I am the only one using my computer, and there is not even a guest account activated.
I have never specified any limitations or permissions - so how come I can ever be denied access to any file or folder?
It happened after I did a "restore" of my HD from a backup.
Now, when I want to open any files under my name in "Documents and Settings" I get the "access is denied" msg!
I had always used "simple file sharing" assuming that would avoid such nonsense. And now, even when I tried to set it to "Do not share this folder" and set the permissions to "full control" for all listed objects it still won't let me open them.

I can understand that all this security and permission stuff has real value in an office environment, but I certainly find it utter nuisance for a single user.
Is there no way I can simply instruct it to allow everyone access to everything? Everyone being only myself anyway!

Can somebody please rid me of this permission police?

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  00:59:29  Show Profile
You should be able to take ownership of the folder(s) you are blocked out of. Look in online help for details on how to change owner of a file or folder.

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  01:21:43  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
Yes, I did that with some, but it is a lot of fussing for each folder.
However, isn't it ridiculous to have to take ownership of my own files?
Who owned them before, and how can one avoid this mysterious problem?

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  13:04:28  Show Profile
What did you use to backup & restore? The Documents and Settings folder holds user profiles which by design are owned by the user. Users are identified by a SID (security identifier) in XP. If you delete a user and then recreate a user with the same name, the new user will have a different SID and therefore will no longer be the owner of any files that were owned by the previous SID.

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

Alfred

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  18:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Alfred's Homepage
I used XP's built-in backup system, as you suspected.
I understand what you are saying, and I think that is what happened.
When I restored I had documents listed under "Alfred", as well as under Alfred(+SID#)

There is a mess of repetition in Explorer folders... besides your own name there is "default user", "all users", and each has the same subfolders.
I am always all of these, but still never can be sure where the OS stores a file, although I don't even use a password to log on.
Having done several XP installations in the past I am careful now not to create any other objects than my own.
I don't want to have several "my documents" folders under different entities, so I only fill in my name when I absolutely have to, and always the same.
It's like playing hide and seek with the machine!
Do you know how to avoid all this duplication?

I am yearning for the good old days when the only security one needed was to make sure no stranger touched my keyboard.

Alfred
The Battle Group
CREDO

Edited by - Alfred on 10 February 2004 18:37:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07