Snitz Forums 2000 DEV-Group
 DEV Discussions (General)
 Yahoo Interrupt Service Page Emulation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indianBoy

56 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2004 :  03:18:35  Show Profile  Visit indianBoy's Homepage  Send indianBoy an AOL message  Send indianBoy an ICQ Message  Send indianBoy a Yahoo! Message
If you have ever used yahoo groups you will see that there is a 'interrupt' in between messages which take user to a Intermediate Advertisement page with a link ' to continiue to the main message'.

I hope you get what i mean.

I want to emulate the same functionalty as that. It is a very good idea for example to show your member profiles or random adverts or articles or as in my site's case i can show exotic cars or superbikes in between the messages, this will as a flair of the unexpected as well as a good way to implement ads.

I hope someone can start this, i am already thinking how to implement it,

Possibility 1 : All the asp pages, repeat,all the asp in the website can be redirected to an exe, or another .asp page. this page would parse the asppage and generate a random number between 1-50 ( maybe ? ) if the number is divisible by 3 then it would execute a function which would throw a page with the ad and a link to the final URL the user wanted to goto..

indianBoy

56 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2004 :  07:32:34  Show Profile  Visit indianBoy's Homepage  Send indianBoy an AOL message  Send indianBoy an ICQ Message  Send indianBoy a Yahoo! Message
any help ?
Go to Top of Page

zeth

United Kingdom
117 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2004 :  07:40:49  Show Profile  Visit zeth's Homepage
Wouldn't it be better to have link saying, 'click here for a random superbike'. To give them it anyway is to take control away from your users which surely is a bad thing.

Yahoo's ad is a bad thing because it undermines confidence in the Internet itself because the idea of the internet is that when you click on a link you actually go where YOU want.

The only permissible use of this technique is to give a very important notice e.g. "Do not answer emails pretending to be from this website", and your code should remember when they have seen it once.

THEOLOGY.ME.UK CROSSRING.COM
Go to Top of Page

indianBoy

56 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2004 :  12:34:52  Show Profile  Visit indianBoy's Homepage  Send indianBoy an AOL message  Send indianBoy an ICQ Message  Send indianBoy a Yahoo! Message
well, the thing i want to discuss here is technical, no one would mind that random thing i know it, wouldnt you wanna see the pagani zonda's pic and specs in b/w? well i would and anyway after its implemented comes the actual moral part..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07