MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Test DB field in topic.asp
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

schef

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2004 :  08:35:09  Show Profile  Visit schef's Homepage  Send schef an AOL message
I was forced to add a table to the FORUM_MEMBERS table called M_SPONSOR to show contributers to my site. My goal is to have a link appear by the user's name when a post is made on topic.asp if the member's M_SPONSOR field equals 1. I was able to setup an if test in pop_profile.asp to see if the value is one. If it is then an image is set to display. This works and looks similar to this:

if rs("M_SPONSOR") = "1" then
blah blah
end if

However this same thing doesn't work on topic.asp. I realize it's probably because I'm not opening the table in the correct way, but any help on getting this test working would be appreciated.

ATV Outdoors

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2004 :  08:57:25  Show Profile
it's probably because in topic.asp, getrows is used.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

schef

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2004 :  17:08:39  Show Profile  Visit schef's Homepage  Send schef an AOL message
Any ideas on how to manipulate getrows to include the additional field?

ATV Outdoors
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 01 February 2004 :  09:45:09  Show Profile
Hi schef.
Here's a link KLICK.

This example adds 3 fields, but you can see what changes need to be made.
The main thing to remember is keep everything in order.
1. If you add your new field after M_COUNTRY, make sure you add it after M_COUNTRY in all the changes.(except where you put your "if M_SPONSOR" statement)
2. On the numbered fields, make sure you change the numbers so they are all in sequence.
3. There are 2 places to add "if M_SPONSOR", the 1st place is for the "replies" and the 2nd place is in "sub GetFirst" for the "topic"(first post)>

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

schef

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2004 :  02:48:30  Show Profile  Visit schef's Homepage  Send schef an AOL message
Thanks cripto. I have yet to scrounge up the time to give your advice a whirl but I will in the near future. Thanks!!!

ATV Outdoors
Go to Top of Page

schef

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  11:17:13  Show Profile  Visit schef's Homepage  Send schef an AOL message
Just a follow up. The advice worked great and I was able to implement the change. Thanks. You can see what I mean here: http://www.atvoutdoors.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5941&whichpage=1

ATV Outdoors
Go to Top of Page

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  11:49:58  Show Profile
That's an interesting idea, and well implemented. However, would it make your 'regular' members feel they are not 'site supporters' ?
Go to Top of Page

schef

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  12:11:22  Show Profile  Visit schef's Homepage  Send schef an AOL message
Thanks. It was much easier than I thought once I had a little advice to get the concept down. I am however scared of alienating some members... I may change the wording to sponsor instead of supporter after I get some feedback from the members.

ATV Outdoors

Edited by - schef on 13 February 2004 12:14:13
Go to Top of Page

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  16:51:30  Show Profile
I think sponsor is a more user-friendly word. how do actually fill the value in the database, or do you have to do this manually ?
Go to Top of Page

schef

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  07:56:53  Show Profile  Visit schef's Homepage  Send schef an AOL message
I've polled the population (of my site) and it looks like everyone likes the wording that is currently there. I've also gone out to similar sites and they have chosen to word things very similarly as well. One good thing is that donations has gone up considerably since adding this latest addition. The "regulars" feel more compelled to throw in a few bucks.

As for the value in the database, there is an M_SPONSOR field that I added to the user's table. I've also built the editing feature into the pop_profile.asp page. If an admin level user edits a profile there in an entry that reads as "Is Sponsor" (I'm not very creative). Enter a 1 and the tests in the pop_profile.asp and topic.asp will place the information accordingly.

View of the input method

Additional listing in pop_profile.asp

ATV Outdoors
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07