MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Visual basic front end to forum
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Imperial Data

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2004 :  14:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Imperial Data's Homepage
I would like to create a Visual Basic front-end for distribution to registered members, but I am concerned about the 'reverse engineering' aspect of this, ie someone looks at my VB code and sees the path to my database. Can this be protected at all?

Has anyone tried this before?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

www.forum99.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - Imperial Data on 22 January 2004 15:00:14

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2004 :  15:30:52  Show Profile
Visual Basic is compiled, nobody would see the connection string if it is in the code. But what would you do if it ever changed? you'd have to redistribute the application again. You could encrypt the connection string somehow? or maybe retrieve the connection string via SOAP.

You could also transfer the data via XML to the windows app, like the RSS apps do

What would be the advantage of a windows app over a web app?

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

Imperial Data

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2004 :  06:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Imperial Data's Homepage
Thanks for that reply David. As I'm not a fully fledged programmer I'd have to look up terms like 'SOAP' and as for transferring data via XML I think I'm currently not good enough to knock up a stable program quickly. Perhaps ASP is the way to go (although that's going to be a steep learning curve too).

I still think that even with encryption the database path is open to viewing and hence abuse.

I'm not sure if there are many advantages of a Windows app to a web app apart from when installed on a PC, especially with a tray option, your users are tied in to your site more. A quick click of a button could show if any posts/replies have been put up since you last looked.
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2004 :  06:33:12  Show Profile
quote:
A quick click of a button could show if any posts/replies have been put up since you last looked.
Snitz has that in a web app anyway.
Go to Top of Page

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2004 :  06:57:20  Show Profile
Someone once posted a mod to integrate snitz with msn messenger 6. that could be the solution you need.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2004 :  07:08:06  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by laser

quote:
A quick click of a button could show if any posts/replies have been put up since you last looked.
Snitz has that in a web app anyway.

it's called active.asp

Imperial Data,
If you write a local based application, you will be unlikely to connect to the database unless it is SQL, but then you will be limited by licensing, so again would probably be unlikely to connect.
Go to Top of Page

Imperial Data

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2004 :  17:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Imperial Data's Homepage
I really would like to drill down a bit deeper than the current active.asp allows me to. Looks like I may need to learn more ASP to get the best out of it. It's just that with a slow dial-up people often don't have the time for multiple page requests. If all information can be presented on a customisable page then that seems like a step forward to me.

As regards MSN Messenger, I really can't stand the thing and remove it from machines I come in contact with, so I wouldn't pursue that path.

www.thebikeforum.com
Go to Top of Page

Anacrusis

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2004 :  22:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Anacrusis's Homepage  Send Anacrusis an AOL message
I too thought of creating a VB program as another extention to my website. I thought of this after seeing that www.hangoutspot.com has this. I would also integrate a chatroom into the program. But I've got a full blown community for my site, and to everybody's point, I don't really see the need for it if all you have is forums.

The Internet ClubHouse
www.internet-clubhouse.com
Go to Top of Page

AWD_ENVY

103 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2004 :  11:33:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidRhodes

Visual Basic is compiled, nobody would see the connection string if it is in the code. But what would you do if it ever changed? you'd have to redistribute the application again. You could encrypt the connection string somehow? or maybe retrieve the connection string via SOAP.

You could also transfer the data via XML to the windows app, like the RSS apps do

What would be the advantage of a windows app over a web app?

Encrypted or not, they would then have a way to pass SQL statements to the Engine. No good in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

vesse

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 11 February 2004 :  04:53:09  Show Profile  Visit vesse's Homepage  Send vesse an AOL message  Send vesse an ICQ Message
quote:
Originally posted by Imperial Data

I still think that even with encryption the database path is open to viewing and hence abuse.

If you used VB.Net you could knock up a decent interface and encrypt the database path with one way encryption like the SHA256 function used within Snitz.

As for contacting the Server to execute SQL against the database you could do this by passing a encrypted password to an ASP script that will only accept and run commands sent with this password.

But as HuwR has said its a lot of work and not definetly secure (but then no web app is).

Building Web Systems for a new Generation @ http://www.vdesign-studios.com
webmaster@vdesign-studios.com
rvesse@hotmail.com
rvesse@dhtmlshock.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07