New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2004 :  03:39:12  Show Profile
I use the below code to show active user count in my header, but could we fix it, so users donīt have to refresh before actually seeing the correct number?

I mean, if you visit the forum and there are 6 users online (according to the active user count in the default.asp page - which counts correctly), it will show only 5 at the top using the below code, after refreshing the page, it will show the correct number 6.

'### ACTIVE USER COUNT - OJM ADDED ###
intTotalActiveMembers = 0
intTotalActiveGuests = 0
intTotalActiveUsers = 0

'## Ls3k - Before we can do anything we need to get rid of those slackers who have left ;)
deleteInactiveUsers()

'## Ls3k - Get counts
strSql = "SELECT COUNT(AU_IP) AS CNT FROM " & strTablePrefix & "ACTIVE_USERS WHERE MEMBER_ID = -1"
set rs = my_conn.execute (strSql)
intTotalActiveGuests = rs("CNT")
rs.close
set rs = nothing

strSql = "SELECT COUNT(MEMBER_ID) AS CNT FROM " & strTablePrefix & "ACTIVE_USERS WHERE MEMBER_ID <> -1"
intTotalActiveMembers = rs("CNT")
rs.close
set rs = nothing

intTotalActiveUsers = intTotalActiveMembers + intTotalActiveGuests
'### ACTIVE USER COUNT - OJM ADDED ###

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2004 :  09:59:53  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
Is this code run before the ActiveUserTracker sub? If so, you have to change it so that the ActiveUserTracker sub is run before the code used to count the active users.

Jan
===========
FR Portal Forums | Active Users 4.0.20 Mod
Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2004 :  10:23:36  Show Profile
Ok, Havenīt thought of that approach. I will try this...

Btw, the problem with the count is in all forums I have seen so far that have this feature, so it may not be that simple to fix.

I have the above code at the top of my inc_header file, then further down I have the ActiveUserTracker sub.
Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2004 :  10:48:31  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
I cannot say anything about that, but I have a similar feature on my site and it counts visitors accurately.

If you move the ActiveUserTracker sub so that it comes before the counting code (or moves the counting code after the ActiveUserTracker sub), it will count visitors correctly. It does on my website.

Jan
===========
Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 02 April 2004 :  06:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
Just wondered how you would actually display the active users using this code, if that makes sense. Usually you'd have some formatting etc.........

Would like this feature myself, so your help would be appreciated!

*If Knowledge is Power, and Power Corrupts, what hope is there for Mankind *
Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 02 April 2004 :  09:53:34  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
You must have the Active Users 4.0 mod installed on your forums for using the code here, or you could use the Active Users lite mod.

Links
AU 4.0 Download link
Active Users Lite

Jan
===========
Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 02 April 2004 :  17:40:12  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
Oh yes, I do have Active Users Mod installed ~ I just thought that the code above would need to be 'called' in some way so that the active users online are displayed with formatting, etc.

Thanks for that though ~ I've managed to get it working myself, but my only problem is when I have the Members Online displayed in inc_header as well as the active users panel turned on on default.asp, Members names are shown twice in the panel. Don't suppose you'd know how to fix that would you?

Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 02 April 2004 :  18:04:47  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
Oh, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you post a link to a text-version of your inc_header.asp, I'll take a look at it.

Jan
===========

Edited by - masterao on 02 April 2004 18:05:21
Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 02 April 2004 :  20:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, masterao. I've actually created a separate asp page that is called from inc_header.asp, so I'll give you the text versions to both of them.

http://www.women2women.org.nz/inc_header.txt

http://www.women2women.org.nz/inc_online_members.txt

Appreciate your help with this!

Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 03 April 2004 :  04:57:21  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
The code that posted will only show the number of members and guests online, not the names of them. Your code will show the names, and as you are using the same variable-names here as in the AU panel, they will be doubled.

Depending on what you want to do, you have a couple of alternatives:

If you want to show online member names in the header, you must rename the variables used in inc_online_members.asp. The variables you need to change are intTotalActiveUsers, intActiveMembers, intActiveAnonMembers, and intActiveGuests.

If you only want to list the count of members online, use Wii's code above.

If you want to do something else, then you must explain what you want to display.

Jan
===========
Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 03 April 2004 :  19:17:49  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
Hi masterao,

Well, I tried changing all occurences of those variables in inc_online_members.asp, but it ended up showing 'None' all the time. Would you be willing to show me specifically where to change them?

Here's my inc_online_members.asp - if you could point to the particular ones I need to change, that would be most helpful!

bolOverride = chkAUPermissions(strAUAnonOverride)
bolPanel = chkAUPermissions(strAUPAllow)
bolAUPage = chkAUPermissions(strAUAllow)

'## Ls3k - Before we can do anything we need to get rid of those slackers who have left ;)
deleteInactiveUsers()

'## Ls3k - Lest first deal with members logged in - for them we need to join with the members table.
intTotalActiveUsers = 0
intActiveMembers = 0
intActiveAnonMembers = 0
intActiveGuests = 0

strSql = "SELECT ME.MEMBER_ID, ME.M_NAME, ME.M_AUHIDE, ME.M_LEVEL " & _
         "FROM " & strTablePrefix & "ACTIVE_USERS AU, " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS ME " & _
         "WHERE AU.MEMBER_ID = ME.MEMBER_ID"
set rsAM = my_conn.execute (strSql)
if rsAM.EOF or rsAM.BOF then
  rsAM.close
  set rsAM = nothing
else
  do until rsAM.EOF
    intTotalActiveUsers = intTotalActiveUsers + 1
    if (rsAM("M_AUHIDE")="1" or isNull(rsAM("M_AUHIDE"))) or strAUAnon = 0 or bolOverride then
      intActiveMembers = intActiveMembers + 1
      if strActiveMemberList <> "" then
        strActiveMemberList = strActiveMemberList & " | " & VBNewLine
      end if
      if strUseExtendedProfile then
        strActiveMemberList = strActiveMemberList & "<a href=""pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id="& rsAM("MEMBER_ID") & """>"
      else
        strActiveMemberList = strActiveMemberList & "<a href=""JavaScript:openWindow2('pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=" & rsAM("MEMBER_ID") & "')"">"
      end if
      strActiveMemberList = strActiveMemberList & "<font color=""" & strDefaultFontColor & """>"
      if rsAM("M_LEVEL") = 2 then
        strActiveMemberList = strActiveMemberList & "<font color=""" & strAUModColor & """>"
      elseif rsAM("M_LEVEL") = 3 then
        strActiveMemberList = strActiveMemberList & "<font color=""" & strAUAdminColor & """>"
      end if
      strActiveMemberList = strActiveMemberList & rsAM("M_NAME")
      if rsAM("M_LEVEL") = 2 or rsAM("M_LEVEL") = 3 then
        strActiveMemberList = strActiveMemberList & "</font>"
      end if
      strActiveMemberList = strActiveMemberList & "</font>"
      strActiveMemberList = strActiveMemberList & "</a>"
    else
      intActiveAnonMembers = intActiveAnonMembers + 1
    end if
	rsAM.movenext
  loop
  rsAM.close
  set rsAM = nothing
end if

'## Ls3k - Now lets count those peskey guests.
strSql = "SELECT COUNT(AU_IP) AS CNT FROM " & strTablePrefix & "ACTIVE_USERS WHERE MEMBER_ID = -1"
intActiveGuests = rs("CNT")
rs.close
set rs = nothing
intTotalActiveUsers = intTotalActiveUsers + intActiveGuests

response.write     "          <font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strFooterFontSize & """>" & VBNewLine & _
                   "          " & fLang(strLangMOD_Ls3kAU_00100) & ": "

if intActiveMembers > 0 then
	  response.write strActiveMemberList & VBNewLine
	else
	  response.write fLang(strLangMod_Ls3kAU_00110) & VBNewLine
	end if
	%>

Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2004 :  05:28:50  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
Im a little pressed with time at the moment (not at home right now), but when I get home later today I'll take a look.

Jan
===========
Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2004 :  06:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
Many thanks, masterao.....

Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 05 April 2004 :  16:40:41  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
I've done the necessary changes, and this should work for you as it worked ok on my test-forum.

If I understood you correctly, you are only going to show members online with this code? The code you supplied also counts the guests, which isn't necessary in that case. I have removed the guest-counting code, but if you want to display the number of guests online as well, then let me know .

Get code here

Jan
===========
Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 05 April 2004 :  18:04:25  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
That is exactly what I wanted, Jan. Thank you very much for taking your time to do this for me

Go to Top of Page

masterao

Sweden
1678 Posts

Posted - 05 April 2004 :  18:20:21  Show Profile  Visit masterao's Homepage
No problems. Im just glad I could help you .

Jan
===========
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07