MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Knowledgebase for Snitz under development
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NorwegianViking

Denmark
119 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2004 :  07:45:31  Show Profile  Visit NorwegianViking's Homepage
Hello

Requirement:
An application for storing/viewing: techniques, how-to, step-by-step, product description, tools, tips etc. etc. about a subject. (Which in my case is Model Railroading)

If something like this do not already exists, I seek people who would like to help in developing the user-interface, and making it a MOD for Snitz. I will do the database design.

Users:
People involved in a hobby, either needing information about how to do something, or people contributing this kind of information.

Background:
Forums is great for getting help, but much of the information is requested and presented again and again. I want a system where my users knowledge can be stored and accessed somewhat easier and more structured.
The topic of interest for my users is Model Railroading, but I assume this kind of application will be useful for a lot of hobbies.

Vision:
My vision is a collapsable section on the main forum page.
Here is a list of all the main categories, hopefully a tree-structure for easy navigation. When the user reach a "topic" /which is not the same as a forum topic), a template decides how the info is presented. (Placement of Header/Text/Picture(s))
A topic may have several sub-topics, and sub-sub topics. To each topic, sub-topic and so on, one may link one or more pictures and decide how they will be shown. (As picture, as link to picture, as link to another page showing more pictures). A picture may be a drawing, and the topic/sub-topic/sub-sub may have one or more tables listing configuration/explanations for dip-switches/ports.
(If you ask dip-switches/ports in Model Railroading, then you need this knowledgebase to update you on the exiting digital world of MR )
The templates will be stored in the DB, and it may be necessary to make a kind of template-language, to make flexibilty.
It must be configurable if the information users enter have to be authorized before publication.
The picturebase will contain copyright info, and the pictures may be used several times.
Configurable categories, subcategories.
Cross Referencing.
And much more...

My background
Nearly 20 years experience with database applications (last 6 years with Datawarehouse (Oracle/SQL Server) and Business Intelligence.)

I am well under way with the general idea of the application, and the initial database design, but I do not have the ASP expertise needed.

Anyone that think this might be a interesting MOD?
Anyone know of something that can be used a basis?
Anyone who would like to contribute on design/programming/testing?

kind regards
Øyvind Strøm

kind regards
NorwegianViking

Mod installation for beginners | User registration problems?

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2004 :  07:48:25  Show Profile
You could extend the functionality of this
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49791

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

NorwegianViking

Denmark
119 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2004 :  09:32:54  Show Profile  Visit NorwegianViking's Homepage
Hi David

quote:
Originally posted by DavidRhodes

You could extend the functionality of this
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49791

Thanks for swift reply.

I have followed the link, but I cannot find much information on what your MOD actually do. (This may be read as a general comment to most MOD developers - what do your MOD's do .)

David, from what I can read from your DBS and ASP files, it seems that your MOD have one level of categories, and one level of content. I can see that two new tables holds Category and Content. Users may Add or Edit information. Do you have a link to anywhere this is used, so I can see how it looks?

Here are a few examples of possible templates.

The header is Category/Sub-category.
And since only a few of you may read Norwegian;
The button "Flere bilder" means "More pictures"
The button "Les Vitnesbyrd" will show others comments.
The button "Gi tilbakemelding" will allow others to comment.

For the person that enters the info, there will be more choices.

Another example:

This is a possible screen for prototypical info (Scale: 1/1) with som factual info, plus any manufacturers products that can be used.
You could imagine this being a page for a particular car, showing some facts about it, and which models that are available.

kind regards
NorwegianViking

Mod installation for beginners | User registration problems?
Go to Top of Page

proeder

Australia
230 Posts

Posted - 21 February 2004 :  03:23:44  Show Profile  Visit proeder's Homepage
I was thinking of that too. Do you know OneWay's Faq Mod? I had the idea that this would ne a good starting point. All you would need is an additonal field in the faq table itself, like "Question, Answer, Detailled Answer, Category" If this Faq would be available to every user you could combine it with Moderation to approve posts in the faq.

Looking for german Snitz forum? Suchst Du ein deutsches Snitz Forum?
Hier findest Du eins...

Hosting with ASP Support available: http://www.sharepointing.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07