Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Speed with MSDE
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2004 :  05:00:23  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
I have set up a test forum using the latest release of MSDE. I was going to try move my site over to that.

Here is the snitz forum...the fresh one.
Link Removed

I transfered all my stuff over, and got it partially working...just for testing.
Link Removed

Now this is on a cable line so it will be slow...but look at the loading time of the second link here. To me, here locally, it seems like it lags before loading the page but the generation time is really good. On the fresh snitz one it is fast fast fast, no lag AT ALL. Is this something in particular with msde or just something screwy with my local IIS server? I am trying to figure out what's going on. Thanks!

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Edited by - sr_erick on 12 January 2004 01:29:47

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2004 :  05:01:54  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
By the way, I don't see the CPU usage on either server rise at all while loading the second link. Nothing that could be maxing them out.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2004 :  05:24:22  Show Profile
It's usually an issue with the server actually sending the data to the client. I notice that the page generation time is pretty quick, but it does take considerably longer for the page to show up in my browser.
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2004 :  05:29:29  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
Yea I guess I understand that. It can't be an issue between the two servers as the generation is happening fast. I just don't understand how it works fast for one forum, slow for the other. The IIS server is a 600 mhz machine, the database server is a 3 ghz machine. Oh well, I will figure it out in the morning.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2004 :  05:37:56  Show Profile
On the first link, the page size is much smaller than the second one.

first link (13265 bytes)

second link (105323 bytes)

It's just taking longer to send the data to the client for the second link than for the first.
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2004 :  13:05:02  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
Ok, you were right. I installed IIS on the database server and moved the site there, wow! Default page generation at .07 seconds and it came right up, no lag.

So with this done, do you think it would work to switch over? I would make sure to do lots of testing. I am concerned about the "25 user limit". Snitz makes a lot less connections than this to the database, right?? Or is this through IIS it counts connections?

Thanks!

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2004 :  14:21:20  Show Profile
Whenever I look at my database I only ever have two connections open, one from my viewing it in Enterprise Manager and one used by the forum presumebly, is that connection pooling? I thought it only worked with COM+ objects

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07