MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Need help to make option in personalization MOD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acoustika

Denmark
311 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2003 :  12:20:30  Show Profile  Visit acoustika's Homepage  Send acoustika an ICQ Message
Hey there

I thought of an ide tha really really would help me, But I'm definitely not strong enough yet in ASP coding to make it.

It's regarding the My Personalization mod.
I did install it mainly to give my users the ability to change Text size, but now I realize it could be made 200% stronger, the MOD that is.
If for instances right next to where you choose the color scheme there were 3 radio buttons, that would choose between 3 different text size config's. Then you actually would have like 3 Themes for every 1 colorscheme, anyone who is willing to help with this ??????

May The Code Be With You
www.UniqueDk.dk *** The Open Forums of Denmark ***

acoustika

Denmark
311 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2003 :  12:22:35  Show Profile  Visit acoustika's Homepage  Send acoustika an ICQ Message
Of course I realize that the Text can be configured through your browser but lots of and lots of and lots of people Don't know this, Think! Were all Computer experts here ;-)
But not everybody is, Think of the whole elderly generation, they have enough to do with just starting the computer :-)

And Also it would be a great sercive for the users, instead of changing text size all the time when the surf the net, they would think this was A Nice feature, I Think ;-)

May The Code Be With You

Edited by - acoustika on 03 December 2003 12:24:42
Go to Top of Page

Brainiac
Starting Member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2003 :  13:17:52  Show Profile  Visit Brainiac's Homepage  Send Brainiac an ICQ Message
I might be speaking completely out of turn here, but I did this through swapping out CSS's on the fly.

You could add a new column for CSS in the members table and that would be the members preferred style. A little javascript method to swap it on the fly while posting their new CSS selection off to a hidden frame (which therefore updates their row in the members table) is all you really need to support it aside from the additional CSS files.

OR! You can go the cool route, which is a lot more work, but it's completely dynamic. Shooting from the hip: You can make a Styles table that your ONE CSS will pull from (CSS will actually be an asp page, if you follow me) and then users can set their attributes to whatever they want instead of pre-canned styles. The downside to this is unless you maintain some type of row integrity to enforce duplicate rows (which would get funky with an identity column), you would have duplicate rows in the table, which isn't any good.

So think about it, you can not only change text size, but everything on the page you designate a class to. And if you put a different class on everything, then it's completely driven from the database.

So many possibilities... so little time....

Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is.
Go to Top of Page

acoustika

Denmark
311 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2003 :  14:50:04  Show Profile  Visit acoustika's Homepage  Send acoustika an ICQ Message
Yeah But I already have the Personalization MOD installed and working, and I actually don't like the idea of the users to have total free control over the themes, not at all. As I wrote I mainly did it for the text feature, but sure I have realized the potential in the colorschemes, and have made some themes for everybody (like grayed down and so).. I think this actually were a little thing to do, if one knew how to, to build up the 3 buttons on the page and let these three buttons decide the text part of the My_config file, and let the buttons be opdateable in conjunction with the color scheme update.
but I dont know if it would be a major thing to do.
But I know themes to make the page readable to all, like textsize changes, the option to have dimmed/toned down colors for better readability on the screen and so, that I like.
Cause after all it is a Forum ;-)

May The Code Be With You

Edited by - acoustika on 03 December 2003 15:02:30
Go to Top of Page

Brainiac
Starting Member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2003 :  15:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Brainiac's Homepage  Send Brainiac an ICQ Message
Don't overlook the fact that you can control what attributes your users choose.

Heh, I'll play the Devil's Advocate further... You can use the Styles table to store your precanned CSS attributes so they would essentially be choosing a different premade theme...

It should all be data driven. ;)

Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is.
Go to Top of Page

acoustika

Denmark
311 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2003 :  02:34:46  Show Profile  Visit acoustika's Homepage  Send acoustika an ICQ Message
yes Brainiac I know that I could make Pre-defined themes also with CSS, but I think it would be a major major change to uninstall the personalization MOD and then implement what you say there, Ofcourse CSS is a strong layout tool but then one could go on and on. I actually quiet like this Personalization MOD I have installed, but hey maybe I'm try afterall making these radiobuttons my selv.
This could end in a big big discussion 'bout what's best, but not. I know the power of CSS, så maybe one day ;-)

May The Code Be With You
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07