Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kingkerry
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2003 :  00:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Kingkerry's Homepage  Send Kingkerry an AOL message
I was wondering if snitz has ever considered creating this verison of the board into PHP? I really miss this board because I do not run servers that have ASP enabled and I would love to allow my clients to use such a great board. I may be able to get PHP coders if needed. Let me know if you think this could be a good idea :)

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2003 :  01:08:34  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
Can you seriously think of a valid reason for Snitz to port over to PHP with so many PHP based discussion forums out there already?

Go to Top of Page

Kingkerry
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2003 :  04:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Kingkerry's Homepage  Send Kingkerry an AOL message
Well PHP is fairly popular over ASP. I would use Snitz Forums, but it is a ASP based board. If Snitz was to do a PHP verison of it I would defiantly use it. The only competeing board at the moment would be IPB. I can of course supply Snitz Forums for better improvments since its more flexible than most boards. Just think about it for a sec. alot of people are satisified with Snitz and if it was made into php i'm sure even more people would join. Lets face it i've been here a few times and this time it seems to me like Snitz is shrinking and not growing.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2003 :  04:33:20  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Snitz is an ASP forum as dayve said, we have no plans, and can't ever envisage any, to convert to php.

And what makes you think Snitz is shrinking ??
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2003 :  05:10:12  Show Profile
Kingkerry, I think this community is growing more than shrinking. There will always be PHP fans and ASP fans, that's fine. Myself, I like giving back to the community when I can because I need help from the people on here sometimes.

Snitz shrinking ?? LOL ... not for a few decades yet
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2003 :  11:00:51  Show Profile
The whole point of Snitz forums was because there was a lack of a free ASP forum available. We're not looking for more people to join. If persons want to use a php board, there are many php forums out there, both free and not so free.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

Kingkerry
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2003 :  15:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Kingkerry's Homepage  Send Kingkerry an AOL message
Yes, but the point is I would rather have my customers experience Snitz Forums rather than using Invision Board or paid software like Vbulletin. I think if Snitz was to really expand it could compete with Invision Board. Its a fairly popular board, but if people see the layout of Snitz Bulletin Boards I think it could grow. The reason why I said I think this community is shrinking is I believe I use to see around 15,000 hits a day.
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2003 :  15:08:38  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
This community is far from shrinking, I don't think you are looking close enough at the forums that are run on ASP because most of the time, they'll be a Snitz forum. You're argument for Snitz going to PHP is almost as valid as asking Steve Jobs to base his next OS on a Windows kernel.

Go to Top of Page

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2003 :  15:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
Well, Snitz still can compete with IPB, infact IPB is my favourite php forum, and Snitz is my all time favourite. Why dont you think its possible to compete Snitz with IPB while having ASP competing PHP? Snitz is FASTER! IPB has more FUNCTIONS! Most of the PHP boards are not fast at all comparing to Snitz so who wins? SNITZ!!!

»Snitz Graphics
Go to Top of Page

Kingkerry
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2003 :  15:08:26  Show Profile  Visit Kingkerry's Homepage  Send Kingkerry an AOL message
Hey,

Would it be ok to based my php verison off of Snitz and sell it? I mean like I would use the same type of interface snitz uses, but in php and it would be coded from scratch.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2003 :  16:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Why not just write a snitz-ish skin for one of the php boards.

Nathan Bales
CoreBoard | Active Users Download
Go to Top of Page

Kingkerry
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06 December 2003 :  11:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Kingkerry's Homepage  Send Kingkerry an AOL message
I feel that I could add in more features than IPB. If I could use Snitz's model I think it would be a excellent message boards, but with a few modifications.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 06 December 2003 :  19:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Humm . . . have you used IPB?

I tell you, it will take you a year working nearly full time to add as many features as IBP.

Nathan Bales
CoreBoard | Active Users Download
Go to Top of Page

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 06 December 2003 :  21:01:20  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan

I tell you, it will take you a year working nearly full time to add as many features as IBP.

True. I use IPB in one of my sites, and I like it. It has millions of extra features, and you don't even need more than half of them.

I just think thet Snitz baseline should have atleast Active Users and Polls MOD installed, because these are the features which are included in almost every forum software.

»Snitz Graphics
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2003 :  15:55:24  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
Wow, what a conversation. I like the idea of having a couple of the main stream mods installed from the start, but a majority might as well be left out. I'd rather install them as I need or want them. I think snitz can very easily compete with any php message board on the market. I don't get why people hate asp. It is a very simple language to learn and I like supporting microsoft. I think some are blind to the fact of all the good things that come from them. In my opinion, development should continue on the base code only...let the authors of the mods work on the new versions of the mods for the new code. Things will get done quicker and it really spreads the work and fun out more.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2003 :  16:54:02  Show Profile
Which people in this thread have NOT been through a Snitz major version release ?

I've only seen the 3.4 version, but there was a lot of pre-modded forums doing the rounds. Everything from the Crash style, to one that I did with only 3 mod's. You're right, it's not baseline, but the dev's have made it clear that not many mod's will be added to the baseline code so the next best thing is someone mods the forum and makes it available.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07