phpSpell
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2003 :  12:04:20  Show Profile
I'm being very optimistic posting this in the MOD forum, but...

I ran across phpSpell (http://www.master-technology.com/demos/spell/index.php) while searching the net. Amazing! It provides suggestions (and does a good job), the dictionary is a database (no dependence on outsides services, and no executables), and it’s free & open-source. I downloaded it and took a look at the code – the phpSpell zip file contains code for modding several of the php forums, as well as ‘native mysql’ code to use for whatever.

So, I’m wondering if this can be converted into ASP, to ultimately be a Snitz MOD. I know ASP, but nothing about PHP. PHP and ASP are different languages to do basically the same things, right? So PHP can be ‘translated’ to ASP? phpSpell uses mysql for the dictionary database; this would need to be ported to Access.

I’d love to help with this project, but can’t take the lead since I literally don’t have a clue when it comes to PHP. This is obviously going to take someone who knows both languages well. Anyone interested in doing this? Comments? Suggestions?

IMO, this really has a lot of potential as a MOD. Let me know what you think.

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2003 :  13:07:32  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
Spelling mods are already available (check archives perhaps). I'm not sure they are good because of the overhead it can put on the database, but then again, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, there is a better alternative. Search for ieSpell here at Snitz and you should find a mod that works beautifully for spell checking forums. Only caveat I have seen is that it only works on IE.

Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2003 :  14:10:55  Show Profile
Yeah, @tomic did a spelling mod. I have it on my forum. But, no spelling suggestions, just hilighting. And the dictionary wasn't very good. Overall, not what I was looking for.

The spell check database should be seperate from the forum db, like @tomic's mod did it, so the overhead shouldn't really affect the main forum.

I know about ieSpell. But two big problems: first, I perfer NS. Fact is, I never use IE. And besides, I want to offer my USERS spell check capability, without downloading and installing something.

So, I think something like phpSpell would be the answer. Do you think it can be done?
Go to Top of Page

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2003 :  16:27:12  Show Profile
Why not try it yourself, download the database from the php forum, see how it works, and maybe extend the existing spellchecker functionality to use it?

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2003 :  18:12:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidRhodes

Why not try it yourself, download the database from the php forum, see how it works, and maybe extend the existing spellchecker functionality to use it?

I have tried it on a php forum, and it works great.

If no one is interested in helping me, I may hack something up for myself, leaving it in PHP and just interfacing it in with my setup. But there is no chance of me converting it to ASP, and sharing it with the community -- I just don't know PHP, and don't have the ASP skills to start from scratch and emulate something as complex as phpSpell.

That's why I was wondering if anyone with more experience than I would like to help.
Go to Top of Page

kvitti
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2003 :  11:56:18  Show Profile
Hi, I am working on an online class for sixth graders - I WOULD LOVE A SPELL CHECK that gives options. Please let me know if you get one up and running!
Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2003 :  13:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage
kvitti, download this little application and give it a whirl, it's an ideal spell check for IE and if you're happy with it you could provide a link in your forums for others to download and use: http://www.iespell.com/

Dave
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2003 :  13:58:52  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
Hmm, great idea, why didn't I recommded ieSpell? oh wait, I did

Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2003 :  17:34:47  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage
Lol dayve,

I've been staring at monitors for so long I can't see text anymore and suffer word-blindness - anyone know where I can get a Braille Monitor ?

Go to Top of Page

kvitti
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2003 :  21:52:07  Show Profile
Hi, I should have said that my students dont have access to download. I would need something that I can run off my site. Does the iespell give suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

homeacademy

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 18 November 2003 :  09:16:13  Show Profile
Yes, ieSpell gives suggestions. But, it requires a download, and only works in IE browsers.

I took a closer look at the phpSpell code. It wasn't near as complicated as I first thought. It is mostly based around a couple of key PHP functions. I found VBScript translations of those functions, and tweaked them to work with ASP. So, contrary(sp? -- I obviously need a spell checker!) to what I said above, I'm working on this MOD! I have the basic engine, to check a simple textarea, about 90% done. Then I have to have to handle filtering out bbcode, and integrate it with Snitz. Overall, not too far off. I'll get a demo up as soon as I iron out some of the bugs and get it integrated. I'll be going away, without internet access, in a few days so I can't make any promises as to when, but keep an eye out. It shouldn't be too long!
Go to Top of Page

kwhipp

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 18 November 2003 :  09:29:25  Show Profile  Visit kwhipp's Homepage  Send kwhipp an AOL message  Send kwhipp an ICQ Message  Send kwhipp a Yahoo! Message
Looking forward to it.

- Kevin
Go to Top of Page

kvitti
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 18 November 2003 :  20:12:03  Show Profile
Cant wait! Is there a way I can set it up so I get an email when someone responds to a thread? I keep searching for this topic to see when someone replies.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07