Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Adding a small Space between Categories?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

75 Posts

Posted - 30 October 2003 :  21:52:23  Show Profile
ON the main page of this board, there's (for instance) the first Category

ANNOUNCEMENTS
The Snitz Forum 2000 Mailing Lists
Security related Bugs
Announcements: Community
Announcements: New Releases
AND THEN
A TESTING AREA
Testing Forums

My question is, at the Blue *********, how can I make a little space there which will break the board apart and in it's place have the background peeking thru? I'd like it to do that between each category if possible.

Thanks

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 30 October 2003 :  22:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
I have seen that done on someone's site. I can't remember who though, I think it was TestMagic's site. [EDIT: Nope, I just checked, it's not his forum.]

I'd love to do that as well.

»Snitz Graphics

Edited by - Faizan on 30 October 2003 22:47:27
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2003 :  04:34:48  Show Profile
I did something like this at one stage but darned if I can find the files I was using! What you'll have to do is edit default.asp and find the loop that creates the categories. At the end of the loop add some HTML to close all the open cells/tables, insert a line break and then open fresh tables and cells. I'll have another look for the file I modified later on and hopefully get back to you with some code and line refernces.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

75 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2003 :  01:02:51  Show Profile
Hopefully you can find it or anyone can help.....I think my and other's boards would look awesome with this added in.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2003 :  07:05:22  Show Profile
Is it as simple as a new tr before the category ?
Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2003 :  15:17:39  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
Do you want the table closed and then reopend, or just another cell even if it has lines seprating it like each forum inside the cats?

Brad
Oklahoma City Online Entertainment Guide
Oklahoma Event Tickets
Go to Top of Page

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2003 :  17:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
I would want something like in IPB: www.BollyFM.net/iboard
And I have seen this on one of the snitz forums before, I just can't remember who had it.

TIA

»Snitz Graphics
Go to Top of Page

Anacrusis

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2003 :  20:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Anacrusis's Homepage  Send Anacrusis an AOL message
I've done this on my site : www.internet-clubhouse.com/forum

You'll have to do exactly what MeTV stated above
quote:

What you'll have to do is edit default.asp and find the loop that creates the categories. At the end of the loop add some HTML to close all the open cells/tables, insert a line break and then open fresh tables and cells

The Internet ClubHouse
www.internet-clubhouse.com

Edited by - Anacrusis on 01 November 2003 20:41:12
Go to Top of Page

75 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2003 :  00:34:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Anacrusis

I've done this on my site : www.internet-clubhouse.com/forum

You'll have to do exactly what MeTV stated above
quote:

What you'll have to do is edit default.asp and find the loop that creates the categories. At the end of the loop add some HTML to close all the open cells/tables, insert a line break and then open fresh tables and cells

Hey man I gave it a shot looking at my default.asp vs. yours and i'm lost, you weren't kidding when you said you'd heavily modded your forum. Any chance there's a step by step instruction for dummies out there? LoL BTW, your board's example is exactly what i'd like to do to mine. (For reference to anyone out there)

Edited by - 123456 on 02 November 2003 00:38:51
Go to Top of Page

Cailean

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2003 :  15:27:46  Show Profile
I'd like to know how to do this as well... also, how do you make the "outer" border lines a different colour than the "inner" border lines - like Anacrusis' site...
Go to Top of Page

Cailean

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 05 November 2003 :  19:03:57  Show Profile
123456 - After many hours and lots of trial & error, I have got this working on my forum, to take a look go here.

If you'd like to know how I did it, a txt version of my default.asp is here. I warn you, though, the code is a MESS because of the trial and error process... If that's no help, I'll try to retrace my steps for you...

BTW, I figured out that there are no border lines... just overlapping tables of different colors peeking through... clever!

Edited by - Cailean on 05 November 2003 19:22:03
Go to Top of Page

75 Posts

Posted - 05 November 2003 :  23:33:46  Show Profile
Dude thanks,

I just got home from work, and have to do an early shift tomorrow.....So i'll give it a peek tomorrow night. I definetly think it gives the boards a more professional look so i'm all about that.

Will let you know...

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 06 November 2003 :  04:37:06  Show Profile
Been fiddling with this as well (and remembering why I gave up! ) so, if you can't follow Cailean's code, let me know and I'll give you a step by step walkthrough.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

Cailean

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 06 November 2003 :  06:05:28  Show Profile
ONe of these days I'll go through my default.asp and clean it up...
Does anyone know where I can find a free text editor (with line numbers) that will compare two documents and highlight the differences, etc.?
Go to Top of Page

Cailean

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2003 :  05:59:23  Show Profile
k, so I cleaned up my default.asp code a bit so that its more or less legible. The link above will take you to an updated .txt file.

Edited by - Cailean on 07 November 2003 06:24:04
Go to Top of Page

Cailean

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 11 November 2003 :  15:28:14  Show Profile
Here's what I've recontructed so far:

From what I can remember, lines 482-510 used to come somewhere before line 394.

Lines 577-581 used to come after the loop closed (line 382)

I am sure there is more to it than that... in fact I seem to remember having to make changes to the Statistics subroutine (opening/closing tables/rows, etc.)

I'll ask one more time because it would be SO handy... does anyone know of a text editor with line numbers that will compare two documents? I tried doing with PDFs but got frustrated...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07