open forum with no toolbars or scroll bars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  15:31:01  Show Profile
Hi is there away that i can use the forum i created without internet explorer toolbars or scrollbars?

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  15:48:44  Show Profile
i suppose you could put a link on your main site that opens a new window using javascript, specifying that you don't want the toolbars or scrollbars. However, I would advise against not have scrollbars, since typically forum pages are rather long and you would need the ability to scroll.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Average Member

United States
501 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2003 :  16:08:32  Show Profile  Visit Cliff's Homepage
This always irks me when I click on a link that takes over my window. I've even had ones that offered no way to close the window. I would never visit that type of a site again.

I use IE because I like it, I'd rather people don't control that on me. If it's for pop-ups like are used with Snitz admin pages help sections, then that is OK, otherwise I like my IE the way I set it.

Just my 2 cents
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2003 :  08:55:58  Show Profile
i agree with you both very much its always annoying when things take over, i'm implementing a forum on my network and want to give the appearance of a web application rather than web site i will give users the ability to close down, minimize etc and on after thought will keep the scroll bars (makes sense nikkol)but just thought that the adress bar etc need not be there any ideas how i can remove just these anyone.
as always comments greatly/humbly recieved as is all advise
many thanks.
Go to Top of Page

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2003 :  09:24:15  Show Profile
window.open("pagetoopen.asp",null,"width=800,height=600,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes")

the above javascript will open a page with no address,tools,status bar but allow resizing and scrolling.

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2003 :  09:54:57  Show Profile
of course the pages will still be stored in the browser's history, so people who've been there once, can open the forums in a regular browser window too. The only way to get around that is by using a frameset and a framegrabber JavaScript, which will load the forums in a frame when it's loaded outside the frame. Then the best (smartest) thing to do is make it so that the page the visitor was trying to go to is loaded in the frameset too so they won't have to look for it again. You could do that by making the framegrabber add the original page's location to the URL of the frameset and then grabbing the URL to find out which page to load in which frame.

I hope this makes sense. Otherwise post back so I (or someone else who understood it) can give an example.
Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2003 :  05:20:58  Show Profile
hi DavidRhodes the code you provided where do insert this so that when my users login the code takes effect?
Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Average Member

United States
501 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2003 :  12:41:00  Show Profile  Visit Cliff's Homepage
This is using the info from Davids post above.

<a href="javascript: window.open("pagetoopen.asp",null,"width=800,height=600,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes")>Text of link here</a>

Go to Top of Page

uraken

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2003 :  15:13:42  Show Profile
Thanks cliff,
i'm trying to have the default.asp to open full page just after the user enters username and password and hits login
i think its starts
if MemberID > 0 then Response.Redirect("default.asp")
in the login.asp?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07