Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tomasalsbro
Average Member

Sweden
818 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2001 :  03:09:47  Show Profile  Visit tomasalsbro's Homepage
quote:

Why not just do what I do and rename your members.asp to something like memberslist37.asp, or members1238.asp, etc.

Then just take it out of the inc_top.asp listing so that when people click on it they don't just get an error page. Comment it out of inc_top, and the link on the page is gone.

The other part I did was also take out the Search By Members Name section in search.asp.

None of this needs coding, and takes about 2 minutes to do. Then you have your members list that is purely your own and only you can access it. If you have moderators then you can tell them where the members list page is, but that's it.

For myself, I'm the only one that knows, so even the moderators don't have permission to access the members list.

You don't even have to delete anything either in the event that you want to replace it later, just comment it out. ie: <!-- whatever goes here -->

That simple, and works great.

Take care;

JT

Hi JT,
Sorry a dumb question - but how do I do to makes this changes you talk about in the search.asp? I have made a separate inc-file with your code
Cheers / Tomas

!-Keep distance in trafik-!
www.whiplash.pp.se

Edited by - tomasalsbro on 21 April 2001 03:32:12
Go to Top of Page

wundabua
Starting Member

Switzerland
14 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  09:36:25  Show Profile  Send wundabua an AOL message
quote:

Hi JT,
Sorry a dumb question - but how do I do to makes this changes you talk about in the search.asp? I have made a separate inc-file with your code
Cheers / Tomas

Hi thomas,

I included both modifications and came across your question. I was just curious because I am new to ASP (I am a real Opensource user ). and implemented it as shown below. there are only two lines to add.

1. search for the string "Search By Member:" (in my search.asp it is at line 288)
2. find the surrounding <tr> and </tr> for this row
3. add the if before <tr> and the endif after </tr>

here is my code:
'**** next line only: show "search by User" only when logged in ****
<%if strDBNTUserName <> "" then%>
<tr>
<td bgColor="<% =strPopUpTableColor %>" align="right" valign="top"><b><font face="<% =strDefaultFontFace %>" size="<% =strDefaultFontSize %>">Search By Member:</font></b></td>
<td bgColor="<% =strPopUpTableColor %>" align="left" valign="top">
<select name="SearchMember">
<option value="0">All Members
<%
'## Forum_SQL
strSql = "SELECT " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID, " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_NAME "
strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS"
strSql = strSql & " WHERE " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_STATUS = " & 1
strSql = strSql & " ORDER BY " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_NAME ASC;"

set rs = my_Conn.execute (strSql)

On Error Resume Next

do until rs.EOF
Response.Write " <option value=""" & rs("MEMBER_ID") & """>" & ChkString(left(rs("M_NAME"), 50),"display") & "</option>" & vbCrLf
rs.movenext
loop
%>
</select>
</td>
</tr>
'**** next line only: show "search by User" only when logged in ****
<%end if%>

-----
maybe some of the cracks in this forum have comments?

--
klement.
p.s. thx to efourie and Rigger82 for their starting points :-)

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 01 June 2001 :  19:53:47  Show Profile
I have hidden all members details to non logged on users. They see what users have posted to the site but they can not view their details unless they join. Done it with a simple piece of code;

<%
if strDBNTUserName = "" then
doNotLoggedInForm
end if
%>

(Thanks efourie)

added it to pages I didn't want users that are not members to view. I also came across the pop.profile.asp file, this file users could see details of the users that posted. Added the above piece of code and kept on getting an error.

I ended up putting this code;

<%
if strDBNTUserName = "" then
doNotLoggedInForm
end if
%>

Just above this;

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td bgColor="<% =strPageBGColor %>" align=center <%= strColspan %>>
<p align=center><font face="<% =strDefaultFontFace %>" size="<% =strHeaderFontSize %>">User Profile<br></font></p>

This has stopped non-members from viewing members details. I hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motor Cycling
Classic Motor Cycling
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07