Speeding up the forum, a how-to
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

testshootcom
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 15 October 2003 :  14:50:58  Show Profile  Visit testshootcom's Homepage  Send testshootcom an AOL message  Send testshootcom an ICQ Message  Send testshootcom a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, Just the other day I was working at a client's site, and well, the site was not going so fast. So I decided to look into the following concepts to speed up Snitz, running Access as the db.

Stats: 1ghz p3, 256mb ram, ide hdd's

• IIS Compression
  • Caching the images and avatars

Step 1: Compressed data save bandwidth and gets to you faster.
This increased my speed on my intranet app by 30%
I went into IIS, and set the compression, and the temp space I was to allow the server to use at 32mb, roughly 1/8th the total ram on the box. I also reg edit'd HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Services \Inetinfo \Parameters\ MemCacheSize (REG_DWORD) because it is usually set too high. You will probably see 19 or 25, this is ram consumption as I am told, for idle processes. I set it to 8.

To turn on compression for static files go to IIS, right click on your server, go to Properties, click Edit next to the dropdown saying wwwservice, from there select the service tab. Select compress static and apps, and set the radio button to allow 32mb for the max temp folder size.

Now this will compress static items, not the asp, now should you have other content or are foolhearty enough to compress ASP (I am) get a command prompt and do the following:

CD into c:\inetpub\adminscripts
Type:cscript.exe adsutil.vbs set W3Svc/Filters/Compression/GZIP/HcFileExtensions "htm" "html adding "asp" "asa" "gif" "jpg" "swf" "css" "js" or whatever you want to compress. You will probably see some cryptic error, but ignore it. DO NOT TYPE IN MDB, you will have long! lag times, leave the db alone.
Type in next: cscript.exe adsutil.vbs set W3Svc/Filters/Compression/DEFLATE/HcFileExtensions followed by the extensions you chose to compress. If not, you will get weird garbled text.

Finally type: iissreset.exe /restart that will stop and start IIS with the new policy in effect.

The overall savings in bandwidth is about 15-30% on a default install of MWP/Snitz and about 30% on Comersus. Since we are all free source junkies.

--------====tSc====--------
Timothy Hunold
TestShoot.com
MissBeverlyHills.com
ItsSoBig.com

Edited by - testshootcom on 15 October 2003 16:53:29

testshootcom
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 15 October 2003 :  16:53:50  Show Profile  Visit testshootcom's Homepage  Send testshootcom an AOL message  Send testshootcom an ICQ Message  Send testshootcom a Yahoo! Message
Step 2, CACHING:

I went to Port80 Software and dropped $150 for a simple caching software, ignore Xcache and Spidercache, they are too expensive ($1500) and caused troubles in demo mode. I set it to cache all the images in the site, and set it's ram allocation to 4mb, which is pretty generous for the total size of all the gifs, jpgs, and static content in MWP. You can run a free demo for 30 days to test it yourself, along with Xcompress courtesy xcache, but that is $400 per server, so the first step in this topic iis compression is free and somewhat effective.

The site has roughly as much info as MWP, and is an intranet app, so a public demo is not available at this time. I did do all my other tests on fillmsupplies.com, but no traffic, so who knows if it worked? besides that box was whacked by spidercache, so it has issues.

Hope this helps somebody out, and I am not talking out of my behind, because it did infact work for me.

Want to see a 500k page load like it is 20k? http://www.lpbp.com Check out the http://www.Alexa.com report of the page too, it says it is Very Fast (96th percentile).

Timothy Hunold
TestShoot.com
MissBeverlyHills.com
ItsSoBig.com

Edited by - testshootcom on 15 October 2003 16:56:13
Go to Top of Page

mortioli
Average Member

United Kingdom
898 Posts

Posted - 15 October 2003 :  17:22:20  Show Profile  Visit mortioli's Homepage  Send mortioli an AOL message  Send mortioli a Yahoo! Message
Any tips on speeding up the forum if we don't have access to IIS etc? (eg, a company hosts our sites) ?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

testshootcom
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 16 October 2003 :  18:29:16  Show Profile  Visit testshootcom's Homepage  Send testshootcom an AOL message  Send testshootcom an ICQ Message  Send testshootcom a Yahoo! Message
I suggest running lightspeed weboptimizer (free) to dump any code and extra spaces you don't need. http://www.moo3.at/bladefist/lightspeed.php

If you don't have access to the server, the easiest thing you can do it remove wasteful content or features you don't need.

Timothy Hunold
TestShoot.com
MissBeverlyHills.com
ItsSoBig.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07