New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2003 :  10:02:03  Show Profile
I've done a little looking around and didn't see anything like what I'm thinking of, so here's the idea:
An extra icon gets added to each post on topic.asp, which only shows for moderators (regardless if they're moderator for that particular forum or not) and admins. When the icon is clicked, a pop-up opens where the mod/admin can add a comment and "flag" the post.
Once a post is flagged, it won't be shown to normal users (including the post's author) anymore and the post icon will change into something to show the post has been flagged (kind of like with unmoderated posts, and in case of a flagged topic, the folder icon on forum.asp and active.asp has to change too).

What this MOD would be for:
shortly put, it'll be for moderation after a topic has been started and a post has been made.

What would need to change:
- in the database one field would have to be added in the topics and replies tables so the flag status can be set
- in the database one table should be added, where the topic or reply id gets stored along with the comment to explain why a post has been flagged
- pop_flag.asp (or something like that) would have to be created
- topic.asp would have to get the additional icon(s) and its functions added, as well as the ability to hide flagged posts from regular members
- active.asp and forum.asp would have to be modified to show the "flag" icon when a topic has been flagged, and of course flagged topics shouldn't be shown to regular members (the same goes for pop_profile.asp I guess)
- post.asp and post_info.asp would need to check to make sure replies can't be made to flagged topics
- pop_delete.asp would have to check if a post or topic has been flagged, and if so, the flagging information would have to be deleted from the new table and fields.
- probably a few more changes that I haven't thought of yet

My questions are:
1- does anyone besides me think this would be a good MOD?
2- is anyone willing to make this MOD? I can help, but I'm definitely not good enough to make something like this by myself.

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2003 :  10:31:10  Show Profile
Sounds like a good idea, what we (admins/mods on my site) do at the moment is move the post to a private forum (we call 'The Vault') and discuss in a moderator only forum

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2003 :  11:09:51  Show Profile
That's an option, but it means the topic author will get a message about the topic having been moved, and then (s)he won't be able to access it. That's one of the down sides of your approach (although it's widely used). The other "problem" with that is that you can't move individual posts, so you're pretty much forced to either leave replies as they are, or delete them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07