Making login an include...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ra1ney

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2003 :  17:01:26  Show Profile
This is probably not that difficult, but I have been fiddling with it for absolutely ages and now I've gone and got myself totally LOST & CONFUSED! If anyone can help me, I'd be sane again really grateful

I have my own header which is to appear at the top of each page (including the forum pages). I am already using the Site Integration Mod - nice mod, thanx so that bit's fine. I now want to add the login to my header, so that it also appears at the top of each page and works from inside and outside the forum directory. And lastly, the forum navigation only needs to appear on the forum pages.

I've been trying to work with the Universal Login Mod as I thought that was the answer to my prays, but as I say, I'm now confused...

I think what I need is a login include that contains all of the code needed for logging in - no forum nav and no need for inc_header (which the Universal Login Mod requires). That way the login include should work on all pages and the current inc_header will show only the forum nav and hidden links when called for on the forum pages. Would that be right? Then I need to know what code to remove from the current inc_header so as to correctly remove the login function???

I'm also having a bit of a problem with 'INCLUDE VIRTUAL' and 'INCLUDE FILE' when trying out the Universal Login Mod. @tomic's readme states that the include must be VIRTUAL for it to work. When I test a file containing the Universal Login using 'include virtual', it throws up an error on that line when viewing via the url, if I view it using preview (in DW...tut, tut), I only see the forum nav. If I use 'file' it seems to work when I preview but only shows the forum nav when viewed by it's url. Ah!!! What's going on

Please, please, please, can anybody help me?????????

brujo
Average Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2003 :  18:22:42  Show Profile  Visit brujo's Homepage
Ra1ney,

sent you an email.

Take a look at my inc_login code which is in the text file I sent you a link for.

I use this include on my forum : http://jobinthesun.com/forum/

When the user is logged in - it shows the PM box on the right - and then when he/she is not logged in - it shows another include file - i.e. that which shows up the Login questions.

All those elements at the top part of my forum - and those which show up when logged in - are all includes.

best regards,

brujo
Go to Top of Page

Ra1ney

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2003 :  06:25:38  Show Profile
Excellent!!!

Thanks Brujo, I will have a look today and see if I can figure it out - I'll let you know how I get on

I've said it before and I'll say it again - really like your site! Love the Flash menu too!!!!!

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

brujo
Average Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2003 :  06:46:51  Show Profile  Visit brujo's Homepage
Thanks Ra1ney

let me know how you get on....

brujo
Go to Top of Page

Ra1ney

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2003 :  08:44:06  Show Profile
Anyone got any advice on the 'INCLUDE VIRTUAL' and 'INCLUDE FILE' issue?

Ra1ney :)
Go to Top of Page

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2003 :  09:00:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ra1ney

Anyone got any advice on the 'INCLUDE VIRTUAL' and 'INCLUDE FILE' issue?

Ra1ney :)

What is the problem you are having

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

Ra1ney

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2003 :  09:22:12  Show Profile
'I'm also having a bit of a problem with 'INCLUDE VIRTUAL' and 'INCLUDE FILE' when trying out the Universal Login Mod. @tomic's readme states that the include must be VIRTUAL for it to work. When I test a file containing the Universal Login using 'include virtual', it throws up an error on that line when viewing via the url, if I view it using preview (in DW...tut, tut), I only see the forum nav. If I use 'file' it seems to work when I preview but only shows the forum nav when viewed by it's url. Ah!!! What's going on'

I am still testing it locally at the moment and read in the DW help, something about 'Virtual' not working with IIS, but it seems strange that no one else is having this problem. It is also supposedly the DW default, but when I try to change the type to 'virtual' using the property inspector, it says it can't do it...? Confused? I am :( Might this be something that might sort itself out when testing on my host (like the magic internet fairies will fix it for me??)?
Go to Top of Page

DavidRhodes

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2003 :  10:08:49  Show Profile
You'll need to IIS or PWS (Personal Web Server) to test include files, Dreamweaver won't work

The UK MkIVs Forum
Go to Top of Page

Ra1ney

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2003 :  13:57:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidRhodes

You'll need to IIS or PWS (Personal Web Server) to test include files, Dreamweaver won't work

The machine I'm using to test it on is running XP Professional, with PWS installed...but these are the errors I'm getting
Go to Top of Page

Ra1ney

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2003 :  15:29:49  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DavidRhodes

The machine I'm using to test it on is running XP Professional, with PWS installed...but these are the errors I'm getting

Hello...anyone???
Go to Top of Page

Ra1ney

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 24 September 2003 :  07:36:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by brujo

Thanks Ra1ney

brujo

Hi Brujo!

I got the private message you sent me on your site and sent you one back - did you get it? I haven't heard a peep from you and now can't seem to login to your site to see if you've replied. Have you deleted me and decided not to help after all?? You could have just said...
Go to Top of Page

Pedo
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2003 :  10:27:34  Show Profile
quote:
If I use 'file' it seems to work when I preview but only shows the forum nav when viewed by it's url. Ah!

You must have something wrong with your HTML tags. Check them out.
Go to Top of Page

Ra1ney

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 14 October 2003 :  06:33:19  Show Profile
Brujo, seeing as you've decided not to help me and have made it so that I can't login to your site. Do me a favour and remove me from your mailing list - I don't want to receive your email updates. Not surprisingly your unsubscribe link does not work and I can't contact you via your site's pm coz you've locked me out!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by brujo

Thanks Ra1ney

brujo

Hi Brujo!

I got the private message you sent me on your site and sent you one back - did you get it? I haven't heard a peep from you and now can't seem to login to your site to see if you've replied. Have you deleted me and decided not to help after all?? You could have just said...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07