Chatroom in Forum
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sloth
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  13:20:36  Show Profile
Hi, im new to this stuff, but i wanted to add real time chat to my website, and since I have Snitz already running, is there a way to create a chatroom that branches off from the forum, where you can use the same login as with the forum? That would be a great mod, but I dont know much about this stuff, so i dont know if it is possible. Just a thought.
Thanks.

Sloth
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  13:29:24  Show Profile
Ok, i found this http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44226&SearchTerms=,chatroom topic on it, and that last post seems like a decent idea... does anyone know if it will work with the current version?
Go to Top of Page

dpmcalister

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  14:15:12  Show Profile  Visit dpmcalister's Homepage
Snittzy Chat does just that. I downloaded it from Snitz Bitz (www.snitzbitz.com). If you want to see it in action (sort of try before you download thing), visit http://www.modus-operandi.co.uk/arse/forum/default.asp (username: Tester, password: Snitz) and follow the Chat link in the left menu.
Go to Top of Page

Sloth
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  14:20:58  Show Profile
awesome. Thanks. pretty cool site by the way...
Go to Top of Page

dpmcalister

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  14:32:51  Show Profile  Visit dpmcalister's Homepage
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Ryan
Average Member

USA
858 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  15:22:40  Show Profile  Visit Ryan's Homepage
All as I did was go to http://www.webmaster.com and got the free backpack addition of their chat room. Then I added a link in the inc_header.asp to it. I know that anyone can access it and registered members dont have to use their forum names but it works for me. Snitzzy Chat and ConquerChat did not work for me. That was probably due to a mistake in coding of mine.

The Poultry Link - "Serving the best of the fancy with the best of the web"
Forum Setup Help
Go to Top of Page

Sloth
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  15:31:27  Show Profile
Well... i couldnt get it to work right. First i fot an error while uploading default.asp... it said somthing about comment out "on error resume next" on line 20... i put a comment thing there and it uploaded, dont know if that makes a difference. Then after doing the rest of the stuff without trouble, i get this message when trying to access my forum...

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0401'

Expected end of statement

/teamhogan/db/inc_header.asp, line 268

"function openChat() { var MainWindow = window.open (""chat/default.asp?Name=""" & strDBNTUserName & """, "","toolbar=no,location=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,width=800,height=600,top=100,left=100,resizeable=yes,status=no"");" & vbNewLine & _

So good thing this was a test forum i have been using. I dont know how to code all this stuff, so mabe im just missing somthing. I made all the little corrections to the files in that seperate "corrections" folder, and i uploaded Global.asp to 3 different locations. still no luck. Any ideas?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

dpmcalister

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2003 :  16:25:28  Show Profile  Visit dpmcalister's Homepage
The problem (as I think I found myself) is the double quotes around chat/default?Name=

Insert the following line instead:

"function openChat() { var MainWindow = window.open('chat/default.asp?Name=""" & strDBNTUserName & """&mode=userLogin','','toolbar=no,location=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,width=800,height=600,top=100,left=100,resizable=yes,status=no');" & vbNewLine & _
Go to Top of Page

Sloth
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2003 :  00:03:11  Show Profile
ok, cool... that worked to get my forum up again, but now when i click n the chat button, i get an "HTTP 500 - Internal server error"...and when i go to Admin and to Chat Administration, i get the same thing, but in a smaller pop-up window.
Any more ideas?
Thanks alot for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Sloth
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2003 :  00:34:01  Show Profile
Well, i think i just found my problem... Brinkster apparently dowsnt support global.asa files. Is there any kind of work-around? can i locate my global.asa on another host that supports it? Or can i locate the whole chat on another host and link it? so many questions...
Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.79 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07