MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Secure Login - revisited
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2003 :  21:41:43  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Just revisiting my earlier request here for a method of making the login process a little bit safer when accessing from internet cafes, airports and hotels:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=45084

Basically, once the default page comes up, a choice of login modes can be selected ie. Normal - My Personal PC, or Secure - Internet Cafe. The secure mode would not offer the 'save password' tickbox and would set the cookie for only half an hour or an hour.

I've often worried that some of our people out on the road might forget to logout or untick the 'save password' box.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2003 :  22:40:54  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Anybody able to help with this?
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2003 :  19:44:07  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Bumping up to top again...
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2003 :  11:52:35  Show Profile
Instead of re-writing the screens, why not create an additional checkbox for "secure mode". Setting this box will add a flag to the cookie. Then you simply modify the cookie functions to check for the flag - if there, it overrides the save password and default cookie lifespan settings. By changing the functions, you should solve the issue site-wide. If the only function to write the flag is within the login routine, then once logged in the flag will be left intact - the only way to unset it on that same machine would be to log out and log back in without re-checking the box.

Or, if you really want to get sophisticated, put a link in the edit profile screen to write a "home" flag to the PC. Then assume secure mode unless they have edited their profile on that PC and set the "home" flag. They could do this at work and at home, and every time they log in from a a-typical machine, they don't have to worry about it. I think this would be more difficult to manage, since it requires pre-setup by the user. Since most of your users probably won't need this feature, no need to make all of them flag their home PCs when only a few need this added security.

* The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says it's half empty. But the engineer knows the truth - the cup's design is incorrectly sized.
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2003 :  00:55:27  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Gelliot, your first option sounds perfect. Are you able to assist with this mod or can you point me to the relevant sections of the relevant files please.
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2003 :  00:01:22  Show Profile
I'm pretty busy at work at the moment (), and I'm not all that familiar with cookies in the first place. I must admit, in all my modifications to the forums I run I've never played with cookies, although I've seen the functions in the code many times and they appear easy to manipulate. So take my advice with a grain of salt, or get a cookie guru to validate my theory. However, I can certainly point you to the relevant sections to get you started:

In inc_header.asp, the "save password" checkbox is around line 364. Upon submitting the login form, the form inputs are handled around line 193 in the same file (look for "Call DoCookies"). Send the DoCookies sub the results of both the SavePassword and SecureMode checkboxes.

Next, in inc_func_common.asp, the DoCookies subroutine is around line 844. Modify the definition line of the sub to accept the second passthru variable for securemode. The change the second "if" statement to prevent setting the password cookie if the securemode is active. You'll note the intCookieDuration constant in this function. This is loaded in config.asp at line 85. Because you want to use this as a variable, perhaps change the constant's name to intCookieDurationConst, and dimension a variable using the old name. On Line 86 set the variable to the constant's value. Using the old name will save re-writing many pages, but will potentially let some cookies be written if we fail to reset the value at a point that catches most pages' needs.

It'd be nice to add a line in config.asp right after it, to check the cookies and change the variable there, but at the time config.asp is included in most pages, no cookie functions have been defined. Thus some pages might load config.asp and not the inc_header.asp file and miss some of the additional functions we need (causing an error). I recommend changing it in inc_header.asp. I'm guessing here, but maybe around line 123 you could reset the value of this variable and catch 99% of the uses of this variable. I can't guarantee it, but I think that'll get most all.

From reading inc_header.asp, I think there are two possible ways to store cookie data (illustrated below), but I'm not sure what the differences are. If I had to guess, I'd say cookies set using the "session" method expire at the end of that session (short term), whereas cookies set using the Request/Response method are longer-term variables. I'd read up on the Session and Request/Response methods at sloppycode.net (one of my favorite references) to learn more them.

Reading:
result = Request.Cookies(strCookieURL & "varname")
result = Session(strCookieURL & "varname")

Writing:
Response.Cookies(strCookieURL & "varname") = var_new_value
Session(strCookieURL & "varname") = var_new_value

Last, line 402 in inc_header.asp displays the "you are logged in as" message. You might consider an IF statement to append the suffix "(secure mode)" based on the cookie value, just to confirm to your users their entry was acted on. Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes! I might learn something from your posts!

* The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says it's half empty. But the engineer knows the truth - the cup's design is incorrectly sized.
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2003 :  00:14:53  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Thanks gelliott, I'll give it a shot.
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2003 :  02:19:36  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
OK, I've put these statements into inc_header.asp & login.asp:
"                <input type=""checkbox"" name=""SecureMode"" value=""true"" tabindex=""-1"" UNCHECKED>Secure Mode - Internet Cafes, hotels etc.</font></td>" & vbNewLine & _

and these pages now look like this:
http://portal.cashbackaustralia.com/login.asp
http://portal.cashbackaustralia.com/default.asp

I also added the code in red to this section on both pages:
if RequestMethod = "POST" Then
	strEncodedPassword = sha256("" & fPassword)
	select case chkUser(fName, strEncodedPassword,-1)
		case 1, 2, 3, 4
			Call DoCookies(Request.Form("SavePassword"))
			Call DoCookies(Request.Form("SecureMode"))
			strLoginStatus = 1
		case else
			strLoginStatus = 0
	end select

inc_func_common, I created a new sub:
sub doCookies(fSecureMode)
	if strSetCookieToForum = 1 then
		Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User").Path = strCookieURL
	else
		Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User").Path = "/"
	end if
	Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User")("Name") = strDBNTFUserName
  	Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User")("Pword") = strEncodedPassword
	'Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User")("Cookies") = Request.Form("Cookies")
	if fSecureMode = "true" then
		Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User").Expires = dateAdd("d", intCookieDurationConst, strForumTimeAdjust)
	end if
	Session(strCookieURL & "last_here_date") = ReadLastHereDate(strDBNTFUserName)	
end sub

and put this line in inc_header at line 125:
Const intCookieDurationConst = 1

So far so good although when I view/edit the cookie it doesn't look any different for setting the duration to 1 day.

Is it still calling the first sub in inc_func_common? I wasn't competent enough to modify the existing docookie sub.

Edited by - StephenD on 18 September 2003 02:21:50
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2003 :  02:40:17  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Actually, the cookies are different. Last 5 lines of each:
Normal login

vs

Secure Mode

Does this mean the mod worked?

Edited by - StephenD on 18 September 2003 02:41:09
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2003 :  14:02:01  Show Profile
No, when I said "Modify the definition line of the sub to accept the second passthru variable for securemode" I meant changing the existing sub and how it is called (not adding a new sub, see why below) like this:

if RequestMethod = "POST" Then
strEncodedPassword = sha256("" & fPassword)
select case chkUser(fName, strEncodedPassword,-1)
case 1, 2, 3, 4
Call DoCookies(Request.Form("SavePassword"), Request.Form("SecureMode")))
strLoginStatus = 1
case else
strLoginStatus = 0
end select

inc_func_common:

sub doCookies(fSavePassword, fSecureMode)
else
end if
if fSavePassword = "true" and fSecureMode = "false" then
Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User").Expires = dateAdd("d", intCookieDuration, strForumTimeAdjust)
end if
Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User")("SecureMode") = fSecureMode
Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User").Expires = dateAdd("n", 30, strForumTimeAdjust) 'expires in 30 minutes
end if

end sub

in config.asp around line 85:

intCookieDurationConst = 30
Dim intCookieDuration
intCookieDuration = intCookieDurationConst

inc_header at line 125:
if Request.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User")("SecureMode") = "true" then
intCookieDuration = 30/1440 '30 minutes expressed as fraction of a day
end if

The problem is that only one function can exist with the same name. You created two DoCookies functions. The software uses only the first one in the code. You have two cookies because you called the function twice.

My intent was to modify the existing DoCookies function to take an additional parameter (securemode) and to slightly change that function's behavior based on that variable. Meanwhile, I do not want to change the way intCookieDurationConst is displayed outside of config.asp because I'd never find all the places it was used. Instead, I want the ability to change the value stored under that name. Thus, I rename the original constant to something else, and create a variable which immediately is fed the constant's value (so it will always be set to something). But I want to change that setting if I discover the securemode is active while executing inc_header code, so I add an IF statement there to check it and change it. Because the original constant was in units of days, and my new desired expiration is in terms of minutes, I must convert my minutes into days (by dividing by 1440) so the fundtions will behave right.

Edited by - gelliott on 18 September 2003 14:04:17
Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2003 :  22:46:19  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Gelliott, works perfect .. logged me out after 30 mins.
BTW there was one too many
')'
at the end of
Call DoCookies(Request.Form("SavePassword"), Request.Form("SecureMode")))

Can you help with the final step please .. the if/then statement in inc_header line 402 "you are logged in as".
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2003 :  12:45:44  Show Profile
Sorry it took me so long to answer, I was gone for the weekend. I'm glad it worked for you! I hope my typo didn't stump you for too long...

Let's see, just after the text "you are logged in as" in the code (inc_header.asp), the next line reads:

if strAuthType="nt" then

Just before that line, add the following:

prtSecureModeFlag = ""
prtSecureModeFlag = "<BR>(Secure Mode Active)"
end if

The next two Response.Write's print the username for various possible senarios. At the end of each of those lines, is the following

</b></font></td>" & vbNewLine & _

(Note that one of these has a ) in front of the </b>, so when you make the below change, be careful). Change the end of these two lines to look like the below:

</b>" & prtSecureModeFlag & "</font></td>" & vbNewLine & _

The above IF statement will insert our text there if SecureMode is active, but if it is not it will be blank. By storing the message in a variable, you can have a single location to change how it reads if you wish to. For instance, you may wish to also print a lock icon next to the message, or on either side of it. If so, that line within the IF statement might look like this:

prtSecureModeFlag = "<BR>" & getCurrentIcon(strIconLock,"Secure Mode Active") & "(Secure Mode Active)" & getCurrentIcon(strIconLock,"Secure Mode Active")

If you later decide you don't like this look, it's easy to change back.

Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2003 :  21:50:47  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Gelliott for all your help on this mod. I couldn't get the last line to work with the icons (wrong number of arguments .. getCurrentIcon) but the text only version works great.
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 23 September 2003 :  13:16:40  Show Profile
Try the following (I was assuming that last argument was optional):

getCurrentIcon(strIconLock,"Secure Mode Active","")

Go to Top of Page

StephenD

Australia
1044 Posts

Posted - 24 September 2003 :  02:33:30  Show Profile  Send StephenD a Yahoo! Message
OK, after corresponding with Gelliott, I found the cookies were not behaving the way I wanted them to.
ie.
Both boxes unticked - cookie to expire at end of session.
Save password ticked - cookie to expire in 30 days.
Secure mode ticked - cookie to expire in 30 mins.
Both boxes ticked - cookie to expire in 30 mins.

I seem to have it right now with the following code changes:

Config.asp
Edited it back to original ie
Const intCookieDuration = 30

inc_header.asp
removed this block:
intCookieDuration = 30/1440 '30 minutes expressed as fraction of a day
end if

Changed this bit:
select case Request.Form("Method_Type")
	case "login"
		strEncodedPassword = sha256("" & Request.Form("Password"))
		select case chkUser(strDBNTFUserName, strEncodedPassword,-1)
			case 1, 2, 3, 4
			Call DoCookies(Request.Form("SavePassword"))
			Call DoCookies2(Request.Form("SecureMode"))
				strLoginStatus = 1
			case else
				strLoginStatus = 0
			end select
	case "logout"
		Call ClearCookies()
end select

inc_func_common.asp

Put the original cookie sub back in and made a new docookie2 sub:
sub doCookies2(fSecureMode)
	else
	end if
	Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User")("SecureMode") = fSecureMode
	Response.Cookies(strUniqueID & "User").Expires = dateAdd("n", 30, strForumTimeAdjust) 'expires in 30 minutes
	end if

end sub

This seems to be working for me now. A special thanks to Gelliott for trouble-shooting this for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07