Adding Fields to Member Profile
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

run4priz
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2003 :  01:48:39  Show Profile
What would be involved in adding additional fields in the member profile for adddress, telephone, etc? Our forum is used for a closed forum that only registered / approved members can view. This would be a great way for us to capture contact info w/ existing info such as email, names, etc.

If this is the wrong place to post please let me know.

Edited by - run4priz on 28 August 2003 01:49:12

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2003 :  06:15:00  Show Profile
Well, the easiest thing to do would be, if there are any profile field which you do not currently use, just change the text in the profile files to suit your needs. For example, on my site I do not use the Latest News or Marital Status fields. By editing the profile files I could easily change these to Address and Phone Number respectively. If, however, you are using all the profile fields or you do not have enough to cover all the additional fields, Huw has a Mod for adding additional member fields to the database which you should be able to find by searching the mod forums.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

run4priz
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2003 :  10:04:53  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like the easiest approach. I will also search for the mod you mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2003 :  11:07:06  Show Profile
You're welcome. Post back if you've any problems or can't find that mod.

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page

AkulaSSN
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 03 September 2003 :  07:23:06  Show Profile  Send AkulaSSN an ICQ Message
i've tried searching for this mod but have been unsuccessful, can anyone post a download link for it pleeeease?

Thanks

Adie
Go to Top of Page

smedlin
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03 September 2003 :  14:34:17  Show Profile
What .ASP page do I need to modify in order to do what you are suggesting? There are a lot of fields I don't need (like Occupation) that I would like to change to something else. Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by MeTV

Well, the easiest thing to do would be, if there are any profile field which you do not currently use, just change the text in the profile files to suit your needs. For example, on my site I do not use the Latest News or Marital Status fields. By editing the profile files I could easily change these to Address and Phone Number respectively. If, however, you are using all the profile fields or you do not have enough to cover all the additional fields, Huw has a Mod for adding additional member fields to the database which you should be able to find by searching the mod forums.

Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2003 :  09:31:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by smedlin

What .ASP page do I need to modify in order to do what you are suggesting? There are a lot of fields I don't need (like Occupation) that I would like to change to something else. Thanks!
quote:

inc_profile and pop_profile

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

run4priz
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2003 :  09:38:02  Show Profile
I searched for the mod but was unable to locate any instance of a download. The following topic makes mention of the mod. Any suggestions for locating?

Forums Multi-Language Skin3D Portal
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44136
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2003 :  09:49:57  Show Profile
Have a look over at Huw's site.

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2003 :  09:58:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by run4priz

I searched for the mod but was unable to locate any instance of a download. The following topic makes mention of the mod. Any suggestions for locating?

Forums Multi-Language Skin3D Portal
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44136

I think this is it click here

this is a very old mod as you can see by the post date and the link is dead. It may have been up-dated for newer versions of snitz but I haven't heard of it.

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

run4priz
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 05 September 2003 :  00:04:56  Show Profile
huw's site seems to be a customized version of the Snitz Forum. The mod that he has for his mod, will necessarily work for a non-Crash verion of Snitz?

quote:

Have a look over at Huw's site.

Go to Top of Page

taropatch
Average Member

USA
741 Posts

Posted - 05 September 2003 :  23:56:35  Show Profile
smedlin,

I renamed existing profile field names of ones I was not using. See this post: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=25323

Look for OneWayMule's post indicating which files and lines to modify.

Edited by - taropatch on 05 September 2003 23:59:46
Go to Top of Page

Cailean

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 08 September 2003 :  23:42:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by taropatch

See this post: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=25323

Just read through this topic and it is perfect for what I need... Almost!

How do I include these fields (default or modded) in the member info section of a post (Left margin area) in addition to, or instead of, 'country'?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Cailean

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2003 :  01:31:49  Show Profile
I figured out a sort-of solution...

I can now have a custom field appear in the member info area of a post/reply. Essentially all I've done is renamed the 'country' field and customized the list it draws from. I achieved this through the following steps - after much trial & error!

1) Replaced the "Country:" text with "Custom:" in inc_profile.asp & pop_profile.asp.
(Sorry I don't have line numbers - I just used 'Find...')

2) I renamed each of the options in inc_countrylist.asp to a custom option for the list. (deleted a bunch, too!)

I think that's all I did... topic.asp doesn't need to edited, it just thinks my custom options are countries!
The only drawback is that users can't create their own "countries."

I'd like to be able to include more profile info in this space, any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07