Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 wmv file protection
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zinpin

Australia
202 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2003 :  11:41:46  Show Profile
I have a number of WMV (windows Media) files on my site and would like to protect them somehow, I have been thinking of disabling the right click for start or even better a way to hide the location of the file on the server.
Any ideas?

TestMagic

USA
1568 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2003 :  12:41:39  Show Profile  Visit TestMagic's Homepage
I can't really help you, as I'm looking for the same thing (and haven't found what I need yet), but there was a great discussion about this some time back. You may want to check out this link.

In my case, another forum is hotlinking to my forum images. I'd like to install a script in the image directory, but all the things I've found need to be installed on the server.

Snitz rocks! · Search 2
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2003 :  13:36:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TestMagic

I can't really help you, as I'm looking for the same thing (and haven't found what I need yet), but there was a great discussion about this some time back. You may want to check out this link.

In my case, another forum is hotlinking to my forum images. I'd like to install a script in the image directory, but all the things I've found need to be installed on the server.

Why not rename your image directory, and ask that forum to stop?
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2003 :  15:17:42  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
Or use an image.asp type of page which pulls the image location out of a database or something and just return the appropriate image type. I have similar code to this somewhere. I'll have to look it up and post it here...

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

TestMagic

USA
1568 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2003 :  16:09:46  Show Profile  Visit TestMagic's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave6625

Why ... not ask that forum to stop?

Actually, that's the first thing I did--I thought if I asked nicely, told them just to copy the images, and even refer them to a free image hosting site that allows hotlinking (http://www.miamihost.net), they'd comply.

But no such luck.

I was looking for a script to install in the directory of my images, but all I've found so far are DLL's and other things that are installed on the server.

I could rename everything, but that's really just a temporary solution.

Snitz rocks! · Search 2
Go to Top of Page

zinpin

Australia
202 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2003 :  18:04:02  Show Profile
David in regards to storing the path on the database, I found that when you right click on the wmv file on the page you get the properties dialogue, this will contain the full path to the file regardless.
I guess my initial question was based on finding a way to disable the properties dialogue of the wmv file.
As to your specific suggestion of returning an asp path, can you please explain further that process. I don't seem to understand...(I'm a bit on the slow side today)
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2003 :  05:48:16  Show Profile
I had a similar problem with people "hotlinking" to my media files which I got around by pulling filenames from my database and serving them up with the ADODB.Stream object. Since then, I haven't noticed any significant leeching of my files although there are a few people linking to my images now! Will have to write an asp file to serve them up now.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

RArch

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2003 :  12:02:44  Show Profile
How can you find out if someone is linking to your files ?
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2003 :  13:05:57  Show Profile
Do you have access to logs or statistics for your site? Depending on what software your host has installed, there are different ways of checking this.

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page

RArch

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2003 :  16:45:25  Show Profile
Yes I do have access to all sort of info from my host. I can't think what to look at that would show that people are linking to stuff deom an external site!

Would checking the top referers give you a clue?
Go to Top of Page

TestMagic

USA
1568 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2003 :  16:58:51  Show Profile  Visit TestMagic's Homepage
I was checking my stats a few days ago, and one another site had over 20,000 hits to my site in a one-week period. I followed the link to the site, and saw where the hits were coming from.

But it is usually hard to figure out, unless you have the full URL.

Snitz rocks! · Search 2
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2003 :  05:02:33  Show Profile
An extension of that method, if you can view the info, is to compare entry points to referers. For example, if 20000 people are entering my site via image.gif and I'm getting 20000 refferals from xyz.com, it's pretty safe to assume that xyz.com are linking directly to imag.gif.

Live stats (again, if your host has it installed can) come in handy as well, if you're not entirely sure. Next time you spot a someone online that came from xyz.com, check the entry point an you can pretty much catch them red-handed.

Search is your friend
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2003 :  13:00:00  Show Profile
TestMagic, I haven't fully thought this idea out, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the filesystem object to change the name of your image directory every hour or so, and record the change in the DB's image directory variable. Implementation would be triggered through post, default, and topic pages - just a quick routine to read a "lastrotation" variable out of the config table, and if it's longer than an hour ago, calculate a random directory name (almost like a registration key) and rename the dir, reset the timestamp, and save the ImageDir variable then continue loading the page. To make this work, your image directory would have to have semi-public rights for the rename, and I'm not sure what exposure that'd open you to, although they would simply be image files...

Perhaps someone can build off this idea to something more secure?

* The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says it's half empty. But the engineer knows the truth - the cup's design is incorrectly sized.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07