A Post-A-Topic-via-Email MOD?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

padawan

200 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2003 :  16:30:08  Show Profile
hiya MOD-meisters!

How about a MOD that will let someone post a msg. (to a forum setup) via email to the admin@<forumsite>? This way, Snitz can compete with Yahoo! or MSNs eGroups...

Any takers? Any comments?

padawan

"...be mindful of the SnitzForce..."

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2003 :  16:45:08  Show Profile
Although that functionality could be implemented as a mod, it would have to be activated by executing a forum page (i.e., clicking on a link) by someone (admin / moderator), my recommendation would be to create an off-line program (i.e., exe) that has access to both email and the data base and can run on a scheduled base. We did exactly that to support on-line data input to one of our web sites, so it's not particularly difficult to do.

The real issues here (IMHO) are ones of identity and security.
  • You can use any return / from address you want in your email, so how does the application know that the email is really from who it claims to be
  • putting login information (id and password) in the email subjects them to compromise unless the email is encrypted

• --Jördan
    It's a wasted day if you don't spend at least part of it flying upside down.
    Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
    176 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2003 :  17:46:38  Show Profile
    padawan, I have created some asp code which does just that which I'm using in conjusnction with a server side component asppop3 http://www.serverobjects.com/comp/Asppop3.htm

I am working on having it compare senders email address with user database but again, this isnt terribly secure. My other problem is that I havnt founda good way to have it execute without a user/admin clicking a link. I still looking for more info on how to do this.

www.thomasforum.com
    Go to Top of Page

padawan

200 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2003 :  18:56:55  Show Profile
    quote:
    Originally posted by jfitz

Although that functionality could be implemented as a mod, it would have to be activated by executing a forum page (i.e., clicking on a link) by someone (admin / moderator), my recommendation would be to create an off-line program (i.e., exe) that has access to both email and the data base and can run on a scheduled base. We did exactly that to support on-line data input to one of our web sites, so it's not particularly difficult to do.

The real issues here (IMHO) are ones of identity and security.
  • You can use any return / from address you want in your email, so how does the application know that the email is really from who it claims to be
  • putting login information (id and password) in the email subjects them to compromise unless the email is encrypted

• good points! but what if... the only people allowed to post are signed up members?

a DB parser checks all queued up posts via email, compares it to the email address records in the db, and places the post upon "record found," otherwise, it rejects the post. Will this solve the identity/security issue above?

padawan

"...be mindful of the SnitzForce..."
    Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
    176 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2003 :  19:17:06  Show Profile
    uh, no. because the from address can easily be spoofed

www.thomasforum.com
    Go to Top of Page

philsbbs

United Kingdom
    397 Posts

Posted - 17 August 2003 :  23:52:33  Show Profile
    I agree a mod that allows people to post via email would be very useful.

Phil
    Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
    176 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2003 :  03:28:52  Show Profile
    Well I'd be glad to share the code I have so far using the above server component. But be aware this component needs to be installed by the web host if it isn't already. Many hosts wont provide this for you.

www.thomasforum.com
    Go to Top of Page

HuwR
    Forum Admin

United Kingdom
    20584 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2003 :  04:46:41  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
    quote:
    Originally posted by philsbbs

They are called newsgroups not forums. If you want email communication then a forum is not what you want.
    Go to Top of Page

Lweast
    Starting Member

29 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2003 :  14:57:41  Show Profile
    quote:
    Originally posted by HuwR

quote:
    Originally posted by philsbbs

They are called newsgroups not forums. If you want email communication then a forum is not what you want.

errrrrrr.. Sorry, I have to agree that this can be handy is some situations.
    For instance a server can be configured to send an email to a specific mailbox every time it is rebooted. Using various utility's the email can be crafted to contain system information relevant to the reboot or other event.

This in turn comes in handy when your using active topics to get an over view of everything that has occured in the last 24 hours. And support desk can see what is happening without having to have access to the server.

Edited by - Lweast on 20 August 2003 14:59:21
    Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell
    Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
    3020 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2003 :  15:55:48  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lweast

errrrrrr.. Sorry, I have to agree that this can be handy is some situations.
    For instance a server can be configured to send an email to a specific mailbox every time it is rebooted. Using various utility's the email can be crafted to contain system information relevant to the reboot or other event.

This in turn comes in handy when your using active topics to get an over view of everything that has occured in the last 24 hours. And support desk can see what is happening without having to have access to the server.

Actually, that's not what they're talking about here. What they're talking about posting to a topic/forum by sending an email to the forum. Huws right, basically newsgroup functionality.

You're talking about emails from the server to the user, they're going the other way...

Dave Maxwell
    Barbershop Harmony Freak
    Go to Top of Page

Lweast
    Starting Member

29 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2003 :  16:48:32  Show Profile
    Sorry.. apparently you misunderstood.. Maybe I wasn't clear.
    You're correct that it is basicly Newsgroup functionality but I didn't have it backwards.
    I was pointing out that using Snitz this in a closed network environment, one of several servers could post diagnostic data to a forum for easy access by help desk staff via the forum.. Not email.
    Potentially this can shorten t-shooting time and at the very least give the help desk something to say to the caller besides, yah we know that isn't working.. thanks for calling.
    Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
    176 Posts

Posted - 20 August 2003 :  21:11:45  Show Profile
    This is a notice I've sent to my users which explains how I have it set up if anyone is interested:

Email topic submissions can be made to the forum now by sending an email to articles@xxxxxxxxx.com

Posts will be redirected to the appropriate forum by virtue of the FIRST word in the subject line.

The topic will be redirected in this way:

photo - Photographs submissions forum

article - Articles member submissions forum

opinion - Opinion forum

All of these topics are in this category Member Contributions

Email is checked against user databse according the the senders email. So you must use the account with which you are registered to the forum.

It is working but with a few bugs I need to iron out. eg. I have yet to get this to work with replies to emails, so this limits the functionality.

Again this is using asppop3 component.

I relate this less with a newsgroup and more with a Yahoo type group.

www.thomasforum.com

Edited by - jeffery on 20 August 2003 21:15:01
    Go to Top of Page

Lweast
    Starting Member

29 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2003 :  16:58:20  Show Profile
    Does the ASPpop3 component do exactly what you need?
    Could you provide a detailed specifications list of what a replacement component would have to do?
    Go to Top of Page

VodkaFish
    Average Member

USA
    654 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2003 :  17:17:39  Show Profile  Send VodkaFish an AOL message  Send VodkaFish an ICQ Message  Send VodkaFish a Yahoo! Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeffery

uh, no. because the from address can easily be spoofed
    very easily

You're opening up your forum to spammers if you do this. If your website is even mildly successful, you'll get hit bad.

v ø d k â f ï § h
    Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
    176 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2003 :  18:03:31  Show Profile
    For me a component it would need to

1.Retrieve POP3 Messages
    2.Handle File Attachments
    3.Have documentation on how to retain HTML encoding if possible.
    4.Ensure security possibly through pgp or some other encryption. (to prevent spam)

www.thomasforum.com
    Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  Topic Locked
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07