How to let Google crawl a Forum?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2003 :  15:44:03  Show Profile
Is there a simple way to allow Google to crawl my registration-required forums without opening up a big security hole? I was thinking maybe one could add something to inc_header.asp to recognize a Google crawler ip and set m_lev so that it would appear that the robot was logged on.

I'm looking for suggestions, comments, or warnings about how or why not to attempt this.

Thanks.

--Jördan
It's a wasted day if you don't spend at least part of it flying upside down.

VodkaFish
Average Member

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2003 :  16:25:17  Show Profile  Send VodkaFish an AOL message  Send VodkaFish an ICQ Message  Send VodkaFish a Yahoo! Message
Since people would be able to access the cached page of your registration-required site - doesn't that defeat the purpose?

v ø d k â f ï § h
Go to Top of Page

lofty

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2003 :  16:32:51  Show Profile  Visit lofty's Homepage
quote:
Since people would be able to access the cached page of your registration-required site - doesn't that defeat the purpose?

But you could always use Google's no-cache meta tag to avoid having it cache your pages. I would check both the IP and the HTTP_USER_AGENT.

You might be careful though, because I'm not sure if Google would consider this to be cloaking.
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2003 :  16:53:28  Show Profile
The reason for the question is that Google has started a program called AdSense where you show their ads on your site and earn on a per-click basis, but for the ads to work, they need to crawl your pages so the ads can be context sensitive. So I was trying to figure how to let Google crawl a registration-required forum without being itself registered. As far as the cached pages do, I don't think that's a big deal, but that is something I had not considered.

--Jördan
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2003 :  17:01:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lofty

But you could always use Google's no-cache meta tag to avoid having it cache your pages. I would check both the IP and the HTTP_USER_AGENT.

You might be careful though, because I'm not sure if Google would consider this to be cloaking.

Googles Webmaster FAQ explains the no-cache tag, so I would presume that's considered fair play by them.

--Jördan
Go to Top of Page

lofty

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2003 :  17:18:47  Show Profile  Visit lofty's Homepage
Well, yes, the no-cache tag is fair play, but that's not what I was thinking of. Giving Google a different page than what the average user sees could be considered cloaking, which they frown upon very heavily. I would send them a friendly email asking if it's ok and see if they respond.

You're probably in the clear though because you are serving the exact same content that your paid users are seeing.
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2003 :  17:21:24  Show Profile
Thanks for the comment, lofty. Yes, it would be the exact page. I just want to avoid making the robot have to log in. Google suggests triggering on the USER_AGENT, so I'm going to give it a try and see what my web site logs show.

--Jördan
Go to Top of Page

VodkaFish
Average Member

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2003 :  17:48:46  Show Profile  Send VodkaFish an AOL message  Send VodkaFish an ICQ Message  Send VodkaFish a Yahoo! Message
jfitz - regarding their Adsense program, most people say they receive prompt, polite emails from them. So I would do exactly what lofty suggested - write them If they think your idea is ok, then you'll be fine implementing it.

And yes, you can mark their IP range and set the mlev so it can browse.

v ø d k â f ï § h
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2003 :  17:53:33  Show Profile
I've been using AdWords for several months, and the've been very helpful and cooperative. I have a message in already with the AdSense tech folks about using their service on SSL; I'll add a second inquiry about what lofty suggested.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Jördan
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 27 June 2003 :  23:17:59  Show Profile
I got the reply from AdSense, and this is what they said:

We can crawl the password-protected pages if you check the HTTP_USER_AGENT for our content targeted crawler which is
'Mediapartners-Google*'

I've pretty much figured out what additions / changes to make to inc_header.asp, but need to do some more testing.

--Jördan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.57 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07