Need to ban member - advice on mod requested
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Astralis

USA
1218 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2003 :  15:35:12  Show Profile  Send Astralis a Yahoo! Message
I need to ban my first member after operation of two years. I do not have a banning mod and have viewed a couple of them here.

What advice do you have on which is preferable and why?

Thank you for taking the time to help me consider.

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2003 :  16:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
I don't use any of the ban MODs. I simply lock their account, and then add their IP to an if/then statement that I put on register.asp.

The if/then is:

if IP = XXX then
     response.redirect "default.asp"
end if

--Aaron

DOWNLOAD GREAT NEW MODS HERE
Go to Top of Page

Astralis

USA
1218 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2003 :  16:50:45  Show Profile  Send Astralis a Yahoo! Message
That sounds like a good plan.
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2003 :  20:59:30  Show Profile
If you have access to your own web server, you can also lock out an ip address at the IIS level.

--Jördan
It's a wasted day if you don't spend at least part of it flying upside down.
Go to Top of Page

Exile
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2003 :  09:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Exile's Homepage
I was advised to check this forum.
I, too, need to ban a member, but, not from my entire board, just one forum.
Here is what I posted elsewhere:
quote:
What I'd like to be able to do is have some way of preventing access to a particular forum on my board, while allowing accees to all the others.
(without making the forum private)... this would have to be some sort of mod to allow selective banning based on member name, e-mail address, or some other criteria (or combination thereof). Does anyone have such a wonderful MOD to share? One of my moderators has requested that I Ban a user from his forum, and, I don't mind doing that, but, I'd rather not ban the user from the rest of the board. Is this type mod possible? Can it be done? I think this would be a real addition to the flexibility of Snitz! Any help will be appreicated. Please e-mail me. Thanks!
Exile
exile24@7times.org

Yes, I'm familiar with making forums private and yes, I do have one private forum, but, this mod would be unique,(unless it already exists)... it would be sort of like the option that allows the admin to select the names of the people that CAN access the forum... only in reverse... selecting the names of those who 'cannot' access it.

Could the existing code that allows selecting the names of those who can access the forum be modified slightly to accomplish the reverse?

I hope that it is possible and if it is, please direct me to it.

Thanks!

Exile,
Host of TFEBBS FORUMS
http://tfebbs.7times.org/forum2/
Read my latest news in my Profile.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2003 :  11:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
You can add the same code I posted above to the topics.asp page.

Just modify it to something like this:

if IP = XXX AND Forum_ID = YYY then
end if

--Aaron

Go to Top of Page

Exile
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2003 :  13:46:54  Show Profile  Visit Exile's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S.

You can add the same code I posted above to the topics.asp page.

Just modify it to something like this:

if IP = XXX AND Forum_ID = YYY then
end if

--Aaron

Thanks Aaron,
That would probably work, however, I'm trying to accomplish this 'banning' without blocking someone by their IP. Plus, I would have to edit the topics.asp file each time I wanted to ban someone.
I'm looking for a way to modify the 'edit forum' function to allow me to simply select a user name and choose to have them banned from that particular forum.

Currently, that function allows forum members to be selected to be allowed access, but, I need just the reverse of that. Of course, I could just 'allow' everyone except the one I want to ban, but, then, any new members would also be banned as well.(until I allowed them access). I think it would be more convenient (at least in my circumstances) to simply allow all except the ones I choose to ban.

I do appreciate the suggestion though. If you have suggestions on how I might accomplish what I described above, please let me know. I bet there are others who would like this flexibility as well.
Thanks,

Exile,
Host of TFEBBS FORUMS
Go to Top of Page

Aaron S.
Average Member

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2003 :  14:09:48  Show Profile  Visit Aaron S.'s Homepage
Change IP = XXX to MemberID = XXX.

You can create a database table that stores memberids that you want to ban and the topic. Then just make the XXX a variable pulled from that table.

--Aaron

Go to Top of Page

Jag24

182 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2003 :  16:20:24  Show Profile  Visit Jag24's Homepage  Send Jag24 an ICQ Message
quote:
If you have access to your own web server, you can also lock out an ip address at the IIS level

This does not work very well unless the user has a staic IP
Go to Top of Page

Exile
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2003 :  05:03:20  Show Profile  Visit Exile's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S.

Change IP = XXX to MemberID = XXX.

You can create a database table that stores memberids that you want to ban and the topic. Then just make the XXX a variable pulled from that table.

--Aaron

Thanks Aaron, I'll keep these possibilities in mind. My biggest problem is, I'm not an .ASP Programmer and I have no clue as to how I might go about doing these things. I've successfully installed MODS that were built by others, but, as far as creating tables and storing and accessing the variables in them goes, I'm in the dark. But, I DO appreciate the help.

Exile,
Host of TFEBBS FORUMS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07