New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  08:57:50  Show Profile
Is there a MOD which somehow alerts Administrators when there is multiple users on the same IP ?

I know some users are VALID that they share a computer, but is there a MOD that does this ? We are getting a few members that think it is very funny to chat to themselves as different people - either agreeing or fighting.

Anyway, if no one has done it then I will look into it.

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:24:34  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
A quick and dirty way, which would also eliminate legitimate users to some extent, would be to store a domin cookie called say 'lastpostedAs' and save their memberid when they post,

then when someone posts, you could check their currentID against the one in the cookie, and do what you wish if they are not the same
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  15:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Hi Huw,

I'm interested in this also. Do you have a MOD or a function that you might want to share with us?

Thanks for help,

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  18:16:30  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
no, it was just an idea
Go to Top of Page

schef

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  19:27:54  Show Profile  Visit schef's Homepage  Send schef an AOL message
The cookie idea would be the best way to go. Several ISP's such as AOL use proxies for their users, so it is possible to have many users with the same IP address. You could also have the "lastpostedAs" appear only to moderators and admins as to not allow others to see what you are doing.

ATV Outdoors
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  21:22:39  Show Profile
If you are admin, the Active User's display shows the IP addresses of the active users.

--Jördan
It's a wasted day if you don't spend at least part of it flying upside down.
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  21:27:00  Show Profile
Yes, but the people I am tracking down have one (? I guess) computer so they logout of one id, then into the next. So they will never both be in the Active Users list at the same time, and if they were then I can't be monitoring the AU list all day

Gaurav's AU mod might help (when it is released), but I will start on the cookie idea soon.
Go to Top of Page

weeweeslap

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  23:07:19  Show Profile  Visit weeweeslap's Homepage  Send weeweeslap an AOL message  Send weeweeslap a Yahoo! Message
a nice mod would be that for every new registered member, that it checks their IP with all the IP's in the db and if it matches that it stores the usernames it matched with and admin I guess can view them on a separate page? Or just a page that you'll run whever you want and if it finds matching ip's it'll list the people's usernames and matching ip usernames.

coaster crazy
Go to Top of Page

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  23:41:00  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
Building on that, if there is a duplicate IP already, then the registration get's put on hold, an email gets fired to the admin and they can choose whether or not to approve it, if they do then the registration email gets sent or if they don't then the account would get deleted from the pending table.

Swing Dancing Video Clips - It's All Swing! Forum
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2003 :  00:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

This is just a thought. I am not sure if this is correct though.

If a person is using a router, it might not be possible at all to keep up with a member's IP address since the address will not be constant even during an active session.

I've thought often about a person holding multiple Usernames. I was in a community once where a person held over 70 Usernames each with its own unique email address. I really couldn't tell who was who.

What I think I will stress in my forums is for the members to remember that the forums though very technical and cool are still superficial when it comes to people being honest with you and not to put a lot of stock in any certain Username because you just never know who that person is that day. It is the sad truth sometimes, online identities aren't an end in themselves.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07