New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  20:18:43  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

I know there is a way to allow a member into a specific forum with a member's list, a private forum, etc.

However, what I want to do is allow a member access to only one or more forums. This is for the purpose similar to another discussion that is also current in this MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code) forum right now:

Conforming Snitz to COPPA underage children law
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44264

In addition to controlling all the forums that members have access to, I also want the ability to fully control all the members that have access to the forums. Mainly, I want the ability to confine a member to posting to only one forum if the need arises.

Unless, I am overlooking something, it seems that currently I can only ban a member from the forums, or I could set up all kinds of specific lists for all of the members and then exclude that member from the lists. But it is just easier to ban the one or some members than it is to maintain all of those lists for all of the members.

One example I want this for is the COPPA issue. I could restrict a member to certain forums based on criteria in his profile. When the member became of age or I received written permission from the member's guardian, then I could open up more forums for that member.

An example of this could be if I wanted to quarantine a member without banning him. He could still post, just not where ever he wants. I could then upgrade him to some other forums as he proved himself to be handling his methods more appropriately.

Now, I don't have the Group Categories option on my forum because it is an older version. If the GC option is exactly what I am looking for, please let me know.

If anyone has any ideas on how to construct this MOD, I'd like to learn more.

Cheers,

Etymon

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  00:13:58  Show Profile
What version do you have? You could look into the User Group Mod for 3.3.x which would allow you to create user groups and then use the user groups to set the permissions on the forum.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  02:32:37  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Nikkol

What version do you have? You could look into the User Group Mod for 3.3.x which would allow you to create user groups and then use the user groups to set the permissions on the forum.

Hi Nikkol,

Thank you for replying. Perfect! I have Snitz 3.3.05, so I can use that MOD. Thank you for the advice!

The version I have of that MOD is

Usergroup Mod ALPHA 02

I want to get a hold of version ALPHA 4 which seems to be the last code written before Snitz 3.4 came out. Might you know of someone who has it? I really want to provide this option for the forums.

Thank you again for the suggestion. I'll keep searching the archives and current posts for hints to the code and post the links here if I find the topic with the download.

Cheers,

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  02:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Well, from what I can tell through research Morpheus finished ALPHA 2 and uploaded it to Nathan's old Snitz Exchange, then hesitated on releasing ALPHA 3 and 4 because he wasn't sure what the Snitz 3.4 code would be like. He did state in a thread that he had completed ALPHA 4 for Snitz 3.3.x but would not be able to upgrade it for Snitz 3.4.x, and that is where it ended. The link for a download was not posted publicly.

I did send Morpheus an email regarding his ALPHA 4 code. I hope he still has it. From what I understand it appears he was the one who wanted to see the MOD come to life the most and worked toward that end for perhaps more than a year until Snitz 3.4 came out.

If I get the code, and if he doesn't mind, I'll post a link for it here at Snitz.

Cheers,

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  06:42:47  Show Profile
Hope it works for you.

Go to Top of Page

Kent

United States
193 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  10:43:26  Show Profile
Etymon,

Please keep us posted on your efforts. I need a "User Group" mod for v3.4 pretty bad, so that I can handle "paid subscribers" versus "registered users." I have 4,000 registered users, so trying to manage them with the default v3.4 functions is a real pain...

FYI, I'm running HuwR's v3.4 portal...
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  11:18:44  Show Profile
Kent ... Etymon is using version 3.3. I don't think he's planning on updating the Mod for 3.4.

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  15:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Nikkol

Kent ... Etymon is using version 3.3. I don't think he's planning on updating the Mod for 3.4.

Nikkol's correct. I wouldn't even to know where to begin without some groundwork already laid out.

Sorry Kent.

Etymon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07