Modify topic form
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ONeal
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  01:28:22  Show Profile
Is there a way to modify the topic form? I'd like to add a few items either in pull down lists or labeled windows to have displayed from the topics window. There are certain items of info that I want to make manditory for each topic's first post only. Any ideas would be great!
P.S. Downloaded Snitz yesterday. Nice program. Got a forum set up tonight so I'm still learning. Thanks

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  01:37:28  Show Profile
yes, you could do that, but it would require extra fields in the topics table. what's your plan?

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

ONeal
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  08:03:59  Show Profile
I plan on using the forum to track discussions in my office for on-going projects. When the project is first created as a topic I need certain information given (i.e. salesperson, project lead, project type, etc.) I only plan on having four or five fields and may or may not use lists. I'm not extremly technical but I love a good challenge. Any ideas or if any can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks again,
ONeal
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  08:09:28  Show Profile
Well, the easy way would be to just set posting "rules" where the person who posts the topic must supply that information on their post. You could turn moderation on and not approve the topic until all that information is entered.

Now, if you want to make it more automatic, you could add the fields that you are describing, but it would take a lot of modification, especially if you want to be able to administer the lists for each of those fields.

Go to Top of Page

ONeal
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  10:27:40  Show Profile
I'd rather take the 'more automatic' aproach. If I could just set field boxes in the new topic form that would be enough. I'm not sure these would have to be manditory but just having a labeled field box I think would remind the person placing the post to enter that info. Obviously I would need this info displayed with the post so that others will be able to view when replying.
Thanks
ONeal
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  10:36:10  Show Profile
Do you want to be able to store those in separate fields? What about if the person edits the post?

Go to Top of Page

ONeal
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  12:18:44  Show Profile
Yes. I would like to be able to search by those fields but this not absolutely necessary.
I plan on disabling editing.
I really want to thank you for your interest and help.
ONeal
Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  14:12:21  Show Profile
How many fields do you want to add? If you plan to add more than a few, it might be better to put them in a separate table.
Go to Top of Page

ONeal
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  15:56:14  Show Profile
No more than 4 or 5
Go to Top of Page

red1

355 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  14:18:30  Show Profile
First you need to create new fields in the database. You can just insert them in the topics table or you can create a new table if you wish.
Then you need to modify post.asp so that it displays your text input boxes or dropdowns or whatever.
Then you need to add some code to post_info.asp to process your custom data and insert them in the database.

This can get highly technical so if you prefer you can just tell me what fields you need to add and I'll come up with specific instructions for you.
Go to Top of Page

ONeal
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  22:53:45  Show Profile
Well since you asked...

Here's the whole scope of what I'd like to do.
1. Change the title 'topic' to 'Job'. (this I figured wouldn't be too hard as I only need to change it in display fields)
2. Add fields to the topic posting page to include Salesperson, Installer and Job Number. Of those items it would be nice if both salesperson and installer could be lists. Those lists would need to be editable only in the programming. No one except me would need to add to those lists at this time. The lists could be pulled from existing members as the member list will also be finite. I could use the occupation field to distinguish the lists.
3. I need to explore the e-mail option more. I would like to have the 'salesperson' e-mailed (along with a list of moderators) when ever a topic or reply is posted regarding one of their jobs.

I know this is a lot of work, so any help or just guidance is great. (or code ) I really appreciate your help.
Thanks again,
ONeal

Edited by - ONeal on 08 May 2003 22:55:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07