Extra Name in Log-in Process
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark M

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  23:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Mark M's Homepage
We want to give clients from any particular organisation the same, global username and password to post to a help desk forum. But we also want to know who is making the posts.

For example, we will have multiple users such as:

Username Password RealName
realaccess 123 Mark M
realaccess 123 Barney R
realaccess 123 Fred
bakermot 456 James B
bakermot 456 Jerry L
bakermot 456 Tom K

etc...

Is this possible? It's like groups and teams I suppose.

Can we add an extra 'username' - called 'Posting name' or whatever that they log in with as well?

Edited by - Mark M on 06 May 2003 01:10:44

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  01:28:00  Show Profile
You could do that, but what you would need to do is add an extra field to the topic and replies table that stores that info since topics/replies are assigned to the logged in userid you'd need some way of knowing who is who.

but let me ask you this, is it necessary to have the same username and password for these folks? you could allow each person to sign up and then give them a custom title that designates them as a member of a certain team. that way, there would be no way one member of a team can impersonate another member of the team.

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  01:48:19  Show Profile
That's exactly what I was thinking when reading thru - "use Titles". I think it would look better, and everyone has their own ActiveTopics list as well.
Go to Top of Page

Mark M

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  01:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Mark M's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Nikkol

You could do that, but what you would need to do is add an extra field to the topic and replies table that stores that info since topics/replies are assigned to the logged in userid you'd need some way of knowing who is who.

Also, their profile/members table would need the field added as well, wouldn't it?.
quote:

but let me ask you this, is it necessary to have the same username and password for these folks? you could allow each person to sign up and then give them a custom title that designates them as a member of a certain team. that way, there would be no way one member of a team can impersonate another member of the team.

Do you mean title such as being used for this forum, Starting Member, etc. What code is needed to show that in the profile?

Edited by - Mark M on 06 May 2003 01:52:54
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  02:13:40  Show Profile
no, go to the members page and click the edit icon. there is a place to give someone a custom title, like the moderators get here. then in admin option turn on the option to show titles.

Edited by - Nikkol on 06 May 2003 02:14:09
Go to Top of Page

Mark M

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  02:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Mark M's Homepage
quote:

no, go to the members page and click the edit icon. there is a place to give someone a custom title, like the moderators get here. then in admin option turn on the option to show titles.

Thanks Nikkol, have seen where to add their company name in the Titles. However, I want their company name - i.e., Title - to only show in their Profile. I have switched off seeing it in the list of posts.
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  02:26:49  Show Profile
ok, so then what is it you want exactly?

Go to Top of Page

Mark M

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  02:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Mark M's Homepage
quote:

ok, so then what is it you want exactly?

Sorry - we have done this on our forum:

1. disabled members looking at other members' profiles - only Admin can do that; i.e., Members can only look at their own profiles.

2. We have disabled Members CHANGING their profile - again only Admins can do that.

3. When a Member clicks the Profile link, they see their profile which shows their number of posts, their recent topics, etc. It's exactly the same as clicking their own name in the list of posts. We want the title to be seen in that screen.

So, when a member views their profile, they will see their company name - i.e., Title - as will Admin.

Therefore, we want the M_TITLE field to be seen in the profile.

Hope this is clearer. Many thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  02:53:18  Show Profile
ya, but what does that have to do with your original post?

Go to Top of Page

Mark M

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  04:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Mark M's Homepage
quote:

ya, but what does that have to do with your original post?

Original post inquired about having a global username and password for members from the same company, but whether we could have an extra field 'posting name' so we knew who it was from that company.

Then, a few replied and said keep the individual usernames and passwords to track Active Topics and use the Title field in the Members profile for their company field.

So, we would like to put the Title field under User Name in the Basics section of the Profile.

Edited by - Mark M on 07 May 2003 00:51:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07