New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

netsonic
Starting Member

Turkey
34 Posts

Posted - 26 April 2003 :  06:56:33  Show Profile  Send netsonic an ICQ Message
when my members breaks the forum rules deliberately first i want to punish them for exm giving yellow card:) then the seccond time for exm red card...

or i must write above his/her avatar like warned member ...etc..

is there any mod similar to my expressions...?

thank u & c u

snitz rullaz:)

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 26 April 2003 :  12:10:31  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
hmmm, you like soccer (or futbol) don't you

there is no mod like the one you described that I am aware of. to me if someone "deliberately" breaks the rules and you've warned them not to do it again and they do, you should simply lock their account.

Go to Top of Page

netsonic
Starting Member

Turkey
34 Posts

Posted - 26 April 2003 :  14:28:32  Show Profile  Send netsonic an ICQ Message
yeah i like futbol:) but futbol is Turkish version of football.how do u know that:)

i saw this mod in cgi ikonboard forums...so i asked this question...but its not so important as u said

thank u

snitz rullaz:)
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 27 April 2003 :  22:55:01  Show Profile
I added a small amount of code to our forums so that we can place a member on probation, thereby requiring all of their posts to be moderated. It isn't very hard to do. I added one field to FORUM_MEMBERS table to record probation status. Then when a member logs in, we read the probation status and use that when we decide if a posts needs moderating. We only use a binary probation status (on/off) but it shouldn't be too much work to implement a multi-level variation (if you can define what the different levels mean).

--Jördan
It's a wasted day if you don't spend at least part of it flying upside down.
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 27 April 2003 :  23:40:34  Show Profile
jfitz, any chance you can supply the code ? Even the binary status would be great.

On my forum we are just introducing this form of probationary system :

- first offence gets a PM (private message) : assuming it was an accident, or they missed the rules
- second offence : as above, hopefully they hadn't read the PM yet
- all further offences : deduct 5 from post count (we're guessing that's what hits them hardest).

We have tried locking, and I have implemented IPGate for others, but we have a couple of intelligent users that understand that no ban is 100% effective and it is quite easy to return to the forums within a few minutes.

Individual user Moderation ?? .. YES PLEASE !!!!
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 27 April 2003 :  23:48:41  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
question for ya.. how often do you "probate" someone? I think there is too much thought put into this. If someone does not listen to a warning just lock their account.

However, I would recommend one mod that GauravBhabu made where you can moderate all new user posts, meaning anyone with less than X number of posts will not show until approved. This has been by far the best mod I have implemented to prevent newcomers from trying to spam our forum.

Edited by - dayve on 27 April 2003 23:49:09
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 28 April 2003 :  00:46:03  Show Profile
We try not to do it at all, but it's more a select few people (prob 10-20 in 1.5 yrs of our forum). You know the type - even though you explain the rules time & time again, and no matter how often they agree that they will follow the rules, a few weeks later they are abusive and the whole loop starts again. At the moment there are 3-5 individuals I would do almost anything to remove completely, but I'm fairly sure that they chat using IM software and one of them knows that no ban can block HIM, we can just block certain IPs, emails, etc...

Anyway, discrete user moderation would be great. The other MOD's have been asking for it, I think that would solve most of our problems.
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 30 April 2003 :  21:53:02  Show Profile
I use a variant of GauravBhabu's mod to force moderation of all user's first two posts. A further variation checks for the probation status of the user and requires moderation of all probationary users' posts.

We've only had two recent instances where we needed to to this, but it was effective in both cases.

--Jördan
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 30 April 2003 :  22:49:31  Show Profile
I posted the code that I used in a separate topic, as the posting was a bit lengthy: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43921

I believe that I extracted all of the changes that I made. If you have looked at GauravBhabu's User Moderation Mod, it tracks very closely with that one, and complements it with the probation feature.

--Jördan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07