How do I ban a user from my forum?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woolyg25
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2003 :  08:38:15  Show Profile
I'm getting pretty inflammatory comments from a new member and wish to ban him. I have his IP & have deleted him, yet his posts remain - i dont want him to come back as he is being very abusive..

anyone tell me how i can ban his IP ?

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 24 April 2003 :  11:51:22  Show Profile
Search is your friend:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33760&SearchTerms=ip,ban
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43468&SearchTerms=ip,ban
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7350&SearchTerms=ip,ban

* The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says it's half empty. But the engineer knows the truth - the cup's design is incorrectly sized.
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 25 April 2003 :  09:03:26  Show Profile
But if he's on a dial-up account, he could be getting a completely different IP every time he dials in. Even some broadband accounts it would take 2 seconds to change IPs.
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 25 April 2003 :  12:27:37  Show Profile
This is why I've not installed these mods on my forum - I'm not convinced it'd prevent them, and judging by the number of pages of questions under the IPGate posting it must be easy to get the install wrong. I'll probably change my tune if it ever becomes a problem for me, but at the moment I'm heavily screening my user base in the first place. Since I run a neighborhood association forum, I know where each of these guys lives, so I'm not faced with the problems some of these other admins are...

* The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says it's half empty. But the engineer knows the truth - the cup's design is incorrectly sized.
Go to Top of Page

AWD_ENVY

103 Posts

Posted - 25 April 2003 :  14:54:36  Show Profile
I added IP banning, IP range banning, and banning by cookie(helps with dialup people)
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 25 April 2003 :  15:54:31  Show Profile
Tell me more about banning with cookie - do you have some asp code you could post?

Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 27 April 2003 :  23:26:29  Show Profile
1. Don't delete him - lock him out. That way, he will at least have to re-register with a fresh email (assuming you use email validation), and you can catch his IP address and lock out any repeats. I had one user that kept creating new registrations with throw-away email addresses, but his IP address gave him away (it was a cable modem address), so I ask my ISP to block that IP address. Poof - end of user. As far as he is concerned, our web site does not exist, nor will it ever as long as he uses the same IP address. He finally got tired and went away.

2. Put him on probation and make all his posts be moderated. It's pretty easy to do with one data base change and some small code changes.

--Jördan
It's a wasted day if you don't spend at least part of it flying upside down.
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 27 April 2003 :  23:42:21  Show Profile
jfitz, just in case you miss my other request - any chance of grabbing that code ?
Go to Top of Page

jfitz

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 30 April 2003 :  21:49:41  Show Profile
laser, Sorry for the delay - I only just saw your request. I'll try to isolate the code and post it as soon as I can.

My User Probation Mod is posted here:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43921

--Jördan
It's a wasted day if you don't spend at least part of it flying upside down.

Edited by - jfitz on 30 April 2003 23:20:54
Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  09:26:00  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
In IPGate, when cookie ban is set, once a banned IP attempts to access the banned page, IPGate places a cookie on their computer and checks for that cookie the next time that computer tries to access the site so even if their IP changes, the cookie will reveal that they are supposed to be banned.
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  00:04:03  Show Profile
Thanks for that alex042, I never knew that but I hadn't had the time to read through the code - looks like I'll be installing IPGate REAL quick so my users can get back to instant registration.

Edit: Just thinking about this a bit more (even though I'll try at home anyway). If the user tries with a different IP and the cookie catches them out, does the new IP get logged as well ? What happens if the user removes their cookies ?

(maybe this belongs in the IPGate thread, but I'll some further testing - you've sparked my interest again)

Edited by - laser on 20 May 2003 00:40:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07