Adding a field and its retrieval
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andyjenkins

105 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2003 :  16:06:43  Show Profile  Visit andyjenkins's Homepage
Hi all,

I'd like to add a field to a table (probably forum_members, and I just do this manually, ie without asp coding required), and then pull that information from the said table, and display as part of the subscribers details (ie on the left hand side of the post) and on their profile (future possibilities, including being able to search on this field also).

How would I go about actually getting the code out from the table itself ? The topic.asp seems full of places where it seems to be displaying the member details, and I cant seem to locate the correct part.

Thoughts ?

BTOpenworld ADSL Usergroup

Edited by - ruirib on 12 April 2003 18:40:56

andyjenkins

105 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2003 :  18:26:59  Show Profile  Visit andyjenkins's Homepage
OK .. I've got SO far.

I've managed to be able to add the field required to the registration / profile page (inc_profile.asp). What I've done is to copy the code for one of the other requirements (Occupation as it happens) and simply replace the M_Occupation etc with M_ISP which is what I called the column in the forum_members table. However, changes to the profile are not reflected in the DB. Why ???

I've done some other stuff also, like intialising the strISP string in config.asp etc.

I've manually edited the value in the DB and the value is reflected when PULLED from the DB, but I cannot PUT the value in the DB. Its as if the column is not updateable (but tableeditor says it is)

Very strange

Edited by - andyjenkins on 12 April 2003 18:28:16
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2003 :  18:41:50  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Probably because the SQL statement you're using for that is incorrect?!

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

andyjenkins

105 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2003 :  19:42:39  Show Profile  Visit andyjenkins's Homepage
Yup .. the obvious statements are always the ones eh? Well got that bit working.

Next to get the value pulled from the db in topic.asp.

Go to Top of Page

andyjenkins

105 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2003 :  20:47:58  Show Profile  Visit andyjenkins's Homepage
OK .. I give up .. someone point me in the direction here ? For the past hour I've been trying to do this and learn asp at the same time. Now I'm stuck on all but the simplest of things. Trying to get a new line put in. Heres the code at the moment. The only bit I've added is in the "ISP MOD" section
quote:
'## ISP MOD
Response.Write " <font color=""" & strForumFontColor & """ face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strFooterFontSize & """><small>" & "(" & Member_ISP & ")" & vbNewLine _
'## ISP MOD

if strShowRank = 1 or strShowRank = 3 then
Response.Write " <font color=""" & strForumFontColor & """ face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strFooterFontSize & """><small>" & ChkString(getMember_Level(Member_Title, Member_Level, Member_Posts),"display") & "</small></font><br />" & vbNewLine
end if
No matter what I try I get an output similar to
quote:
() Regular Member
with no new line between the () and the "Regular".

Edited by - andyjenkins on 12 April 2003 20:48:13
Go to Top of Page

andyjenkins

105 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2003 :  21:04:35  Show Profile  Visit andyjenkins's Homepage
ahh .. got it
quote:
Response.Write "<font color=""" & strForumFontColor & """ face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strFooterFontSize & """><small>" & "(" & Member_ISP & ")" & "</span></b></font><br />" & vbNewLine

DOH !

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07