New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wizard

208 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  04:57:53  Show Profile  Visit wizard's Homepage
With all the features and graphics, I have a quite a number of people asking if there is anyway we can make the pages load faster. Is there a MOD which the user has a choice to choose a lite version where there is little graphics, no features, except for the main features like search, posting, etc.

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  05:14:22  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Do you have a modded forum or a basic forum, and what version sre you running, there realy should be no speed issues with the basic forum code, if you are having them I would suggest changing your host.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  05:15:48  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
might I also suggest from your other posts that you do not install rounded corners, this is done with graphics and will add to your problems
Go to Top of Page

wizard

208 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  05:30:04  Show Profile  Visit wizard's Homepage
Well, the issue is not with the host as in bandwidth wise or server speed as we have our own servers. The problem is just that recently there is this surge of ppl (due to the SARs outbreak, most pplare at home surfing the net), therefore I think there is a traffic congestion not just at our forums. The url is http://forums.tjc.edu.sg and it loads relatively fast, just that some users feel that it would be better if they have a choice to forgo all the details.

An example would be here: http://ppcsg.com/pocketforums/ that is for a PDA but the idea is interesting.

Edited by - wizard on 07 April 2003 05:40:00
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  05:43:10  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I will have to disagree :)

I have a 1Mb cable connection and your forum loads appallingly slow, it would help immensly if you didn't have a popup opening at the same time as your site, it is no wonder they complain, they are downloading someone elses web pages as well as yours.

While your server appears to be reasonably quick (the pages are created quickly, they load appallingly slow, so you have a serious issue with your net connection to your site

It would also help if you didn't have gradient images for your table headers
Go to Top of Page

wizard

208 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  05:46:56  Show Profile  Visit wizard's Homepage
I agree with the "net connection to the site" part, this issue only happen recently and no one over here is sure of what is the cause. I just think is the people at home but we will have to wait and see if the situation improves. The pop-up is just a announcement sort of thing and is all text.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  05:54:24  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wizard

I agree with the "net connection to the site" part, this issue only happen recently and no one over here is sure of what is the cause. I just think is the people at home but

People at home ? what do you mean by that ?
quote:

we will have to wait and see if the situation improves. The pop-up is just a announcement sort of thing and is all text.

Wouldn't matter if it was only one line of text, or a 1 byte image, if it is coming from somewhere else that is also slow, it is just going to compound their problems, it certainly won't help
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  06:00:32  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Wizard, it is the imagees on your site which are loading really slow, the asp etc is pretty quick, so there may be a caching issue or something at your server, do you maybe have compression turned on or something ?

http://forums.tjc.edu.sg/logo.gif

this loads very slowly, how big is it ? it takes a couple of seconds even on my cable connection
Go to Top of Page

wizard

208 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  10:50:18  Show Profile  Visit wizard's Homepage
The pop-up is from the same server. The people at home part refers to the unique situation singapore is now facing with this SARs disease. Schools have been closed for quite a while due to the virus outbreak so students just surf the net. The local paper reports a 20% internet surge. Well, we have never experienced such slow speed before. Will check the part on compression out. The data center our server is in is one of the best around. The server load is all fine, in fact way below what I expected it to be. Will also check out on the network part but I don't think we have exhausted a gigabit network.

The logo is 12592 bytes, thats only about 12KB. The icons used are from one of the win xp zip file downloaded somewhere on this forum. The icons are average 0.5 to 1 KB. This whole thing is real strange. I was thinking of waiting for schools to start (9th April) and then monitor it again.
Go to Top of Page

wizard

208 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2003 :  11:06:23  Show Profile  Visit wizard's Homepage
Well, I checked it out already. The server not only serves the forums but as well as our e-learning portal. Since schools were closed, the forums and e-learning has been going full drive and the traffic is 5 times the normal amount. Our server load is at 10% or less most of the time. It is the bandwidth. We have indicated to our server provider to increase bandwidth. Looks like we exhasuted the network. We don't have a fixed bandwidth as we rent the rack.

Edited by - wizard on 07 April 2003 11:13:45
Go to Top of Page

wizard

208 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2003 :  04:47:43  Show Profile  Visit wizard's Homepage
How is the speed now?
Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2003 :  06:17:03  Show Profile
It´s very slow for me...
Go to Top of Page

spyordie007

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2003 :  10:56:55  Show Profile  Visit spyordie007's Homepage  Send spyordie007 an AOL message
it's still pretty slow wizard, I just loaded it up several times and Opera is reporting anywhere from 4-7KB/sec. while loading. Since the front page + the graphics is a little over 80KB you can see why it loads slowly.

There are 2 ways that you could solve this problem:
1. More Bandwidth
2. Less Visitors

On a side note I really like the look of your icon set, is that someone else's or is that your own? If it's yours would you mind if I used your icons?

-Spy

Power - The only narcotic controlled by the SEC, not the FDA.

Prosperity without pollution! The American Hydrogen Association - http://www.ahanw.org
Questions about Hydrogen? Post them on our forum - http://www.ahanw.org/forum
Go to Top of Page

Steve D.
Average Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2003 :  10:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Steve D.'s Homepage  Send Steve D. a Yahoo! Message
try saving your logo as a jpg instead of a gif, it should drop it's size down considerably.

Swing Dancing Video Clips - It's All Swing! Forum
Go to Top of Page

wizard

208 Posts

Posted - 18 April 2003 :  05:32:37  Show Profile  Visit wizard's Homepage
The icon set is the win xp set I got from either crash or fuzzle. It can be found at the graphics section I think.
Go to Top of Page

puzo

Israel
417 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2003 :  12:40:12  Show Profile  Visit puzo's Homepage
maybe your slowness has to do with your server being in Singapore

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07