MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 age mod
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 27 February 2003 :  11:49:05  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
One of my friends had this done a while ago but, he did not have it done on a 3.4.03

Only allowing members over a age view a forum..? Any input?

De Priofundus Calmo Ad Te Damine

jimlord

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2003 :  15:50:22  Show Profile
Along this lines, is there a COPPA mod that will disallow registrations from those under 13?

"That button did what?"
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2003 :  17:42:20  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
we had a similar discussion last week about forums for certain genders, and the bottom line was how do you stop someone from entering bogus information into their profile? How are you going to verify what age they are? The Internet is plagued with liars so this will not work unless you want to use a system similar to credit card verification.

Go to Top of Page

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2003 :  17:47:28  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
This is very true and i did think about it for a while.
What i was thinking is makin it so you have to fill in the DOB when you join the forum and make it so it can not be updated or edited. Members could still lie when they join the forum but it would be one step into making the forum that much safer for the younger members.

Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2003 :  21:54:25  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
you would also have to make the DOB a mandatory field.

Go to Top of Page

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2003 :  05:02:36  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by dayve

you would also have to make the DOB a mandatory field.

There is a MOD to do this that i have in use.

It would not to be to hard to have this done without that MOD in use.

Go to Top of Page

jimlord

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2003 :  15:11:19  Show Profile
dayve, I understand that, but we're a public company with deep pockets. :) The more we can show that we took all reasonable steps to limit the use of our boards to comply with COPPA, the better off we'll be with our insurance company and any potential jurors.

There's no way to post this without putting people on the defensive, so here goes anyway... I know people can get around things like registration birthdates. I know I can't totally ban users. I'm not asking if I "should" do something or if it will "bulletproof" my site. I'm asking for help on how to do something. I know why I need to do it. (I paid darn good money to Infopop because they had these features.)

Respectfully, thank you.

"That button did what?"

Edited by - jimlord on 03 March 2003 15:13:17
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2003 :  16:35:54  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
fair enough... are you using the profile feature where they enter their age or their birthdate? it would make a difference on how the code would be implemented.

Go to Top of Page

jimlord

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2003 :  17:21:28  Show Profile
Thanks. :)

I'm using the birthdate since I converted from UBB and had that field already filled in. I hope to be able to use it later for birthday announcements also. I don't think it will be hard, but I wanted to check here before cranking out the code myself. I imagine I can just have it check what gets sent from the calendar popup before it goes back to the registration page and flag something saying "Registration is only allowed for those 13 and older in compliance with COPPA" or something like that.

"That button did what?"
Go to Top of Page

kray257
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2003 :  14:49:53  Show Profile
I would love to be able to require age in the profile - but also somehow also require it for those who are already signed up but did not specify their age.

I also agree that they can lie, but at least this way I asked, and I feel that should cover my tail...

Would anyone be able to help me mod my forum to require age for new signups, as well as something like preventing posting if no age, or under 13 is specified in the profile?

Thanks!

Kenny
Go to Top of Page

AdamC
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  16:27:22  Show Profile
So has anyone come up with a way to take the information the user has put in the date of birth feild and use that to send the user to another page if they are under 13? What I'm looking to do is if they are under 13 years of age send them to a page that says they should get their parent or garudian to contact us before they can register with us. If I can do that it would make our board compliant with the COPPA law.

Thanks

Adam
adamc@yourturnproducts.com

Edited by - AdamC on 12 May 2003 20:15:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07