New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gooey

55 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2003 :  10:51:38  Show Profile
Is there any way to get the link in the e-mail notifications to got o the correct post instead of the start of the thread? Hopefully someone of immense brain power will know..

Edited by - ruirib on 25 February 2003 11:39:09

Gooey

55 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2003 :  10:51:03  Show Profile
Ok, I've worked out that the code needs to go in the inc_Subscriptions.asp file at line 192. I also know I need to append "&ReplyID=ReplyID" to the line, but I have no idea how to find out the replyID of the last post from a TopicID.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2003 :  10:53:58  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
What database are you using?

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Gooey

55 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2003 :  10:58:40  Show Profile
MS-SQL
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2003 :  11:01:44  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Try the suggestion by Doug G in this thread: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41374&SearchTerms=@@,IDENTITY

If you do this after creating the reply, it will get you the reply id you're looking for.

Edited by - ruirib on 28 February 2003 11:02:14
Go to Top of Page

Gooey

55 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2003 :  12:14:13  Show Profile
I have that in but it doesn't produce anything. I have the following on line 71 of inc_subcription.asp, right before the rsSub.Close call:

dim rst				
	set rst = my_Conn.execute("SELECT @@IDENTITY")
	NewID = rst(0)
	set rst = nothing

I'm sure it's just a question of placement, but to me it looks like it's in the right place.

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2003 :  12:28:14  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
It should be done after the reply is added to the DB, tipically after line 981, post_info.asp.

Go to Top of Page

Gooey

55 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2003 :  07:03:54  Show Profile
Ok, my link that is emailed is now as below, which seems to be correct. Unfortuantly it only ever seems to go to the first page of a topic, exactly the same thing as goto last post links on default.asp - which is most weird . Once I have that sorted I'll post all my code changes for everyone else.

http://***.***.***.*/forums/topic.asp?whichpage=-1&TOPIC_ID=1&REPLY_ID=34

Thanks ruirib, you've been very helpful. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2003 :  07:10:28  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
The fact that the jump to last post does not work may be due to one of two reasons:

1. You're using an ODBC connection string. Use an OLEDB one instead.

2. If 1 isn't true, then your server has an old MDAC. MDAC needs to be 2.5 or higher for jump to last post to work. You can download a more recent MDAC from http://www.microsoft.com/data.
If you download MDAC 2.7 (which is the latest) be sure to download and install the lastes Jet service pack as well, otherwise nothing will change.

Edited by - ruirib on 01 March 2003 07:11:39
Go to Top of Page

Gooey

55 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2003 :  09:25:18  Show Profile
Excellent, I changed my connection string and it worked like a charm!

Right, so if anyone else wants to do this then here are the changes I've made (bear in mind I'm not the best asp coder):

Post_info.asp

1. Right after line 981 (my_Conn.Execute (strSql),,adCmdText + adExecuteNoRecords) I've inserted the following:

dim rst
	strSql = "SELECT Max(REPLY_ID) as NewReplyID "
	strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strActivePrefix & "REPLY "
	strSql = strSql & " WHERE FORUM_ID = " & Forum_ID
	strSql = strSql & "   and R_AUTHOR = " & rs("MEMBER_ID")
	set rst = my_Conn.Execute (strSql)
	NewID = rst("NewReplyID")				
	set rst = nothing

2. Alter lines 1051 & 876 to include the Reply ID. Line 1051 is as below, line 876 passes across and empty string:

ProcessSubscriptions rs("MEMBER_ID"), Cat_ID, Forum_ID, Topic_ID, Moderation, NewID

inc_subscription.asp

1. Change the function definition on line 40 to accept the ReplyID:

sub ProcessSubscriptions (pMemberId, CatID, ForumId, TopicId, Moderation, NewID)

2. Line 193 needs to be changed to include the reply ID, it's now:

strMessage = strMessage & "You can view the posting at " & strForumURL & "topic.asp?whichpage=-1&TOPIC_ID=" & TopicId & "&REPLY_ID=" & NewID & vbNewline

And there you have it, subscription email links that go to the actual post that has been added instead of the topic in general, and my first mod! I couldn't get the @@IDENTITY thing to work, but I'm not too worried about that. Big debt to ruirib too.

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2003 :  17:39:53  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Gooey,

Glad you got it working. Anyhow, let me say that the query you are using now does not ensure that you're getting the correct reply id. In fact, in a multiuser environment, there is the possibility that it will now and then result in the link to last post not working due to a non-existing id for the topic.
I would suggest that you try the SELECT @@IDENTITY now, that you have changed to an OLEDB driver. Probably that does not work with an ODBC driver. I cannot assure that it will, but if it won't maybe that's because your DB is an Access 97 one.

If you choose not to use SELECT @@ IDENTITY, at least change the WHERE clause to include the TOPIC_ID, instead of the FORUM_ID. I think the chances of getting a wrong reply id would diminish considerably.

Go to Top of Page

Gooey

55 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2003 :  03:46:55  Show Profile
Ok, I just tried this and now the @@Identity thing works. Strange that a connetion string can have such an effect. Anyway below is the code for step one of post_info.asp:

dim rst
	set rst = my_Conn.execute("SELECT @@IDENTITY")
	NewID = rst(0)
	set rst = nothing

cheers ruirib
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2003 :  06:40:29  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
No, its no that strange that the connection string had an effect on that. You see this is a SQL extension supported only by the Jet 4 engine, so it's natural that an ODBC driver wouldn't support it.

Anyway I'm glad this is finally working as it should .

Go to Top of Page

Gooey

55 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2003 :  09:20:34  Show Profile
Just a quick alteration to the code. point 2 of inc_subscriptions.asp should be as below, otherwise new topic links don't work...

if NewID <> "" then
	strMessage = strMessage & "You can view the posting at " & strForumURL & "topic.asp?whichpage=-1&TOPIC_ID=" & TopicId & "&REPLY_ID=" & NewID & vbNewline
else
        strMessage = strMessage & "You can view the posting at " & strForumURL & "topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=" & TopicId & vbNewline
end if
Go to Top of Page

mikerayjones
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 20 March 2003 :  09:59:43  Show Profile
Gooey

I've made these changes, and it's almost working perfectly! However, I have noticed that if the user follows the link from the email without already being logged in to the forum, then the link only gets them as far as the forum home page. Do you have that problem too, or have I done something wrong?

Thanks
Mike.
Go to Top of Page

Gooey

55 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2003 :  03:56:55  Show Profile
Hey there Mike (thanks for the nudge via e-mail ). Right at the top of topic.asp there is the following, which redirects you to default.asp. Unfortuantly I, or as far as I know any of my members, have had a link that failed to go to the correct post. The only thing I can think of is that
it's not picking up a cookie or something and so can't log you back in. I've no idea what the Request.Form thing is, but it looks to be the centre of the problem. Does anyone else know what's going on?

if (Request.QueryString("TOPIC_ID") = "" or IsNumeric(Request.QueryString("TOPIC_ID")) = False) and Request.Form("Method_Type") <> "login" and Request.Form("Method_Type") <> "logout" then
	Response.Redirect "default.asp"
	Response.End
else
	Topic_ID = cLng(Request.QueryString("TOPIC_ID"))
end if
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07