Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2003 :  15:41:02  Show Profile
Hi,

I feel like the last person in the queue with problems installing the Poll Mod into a site that already has the Event Calendar mod (and others). Although I was being very meticulous at the code changes, I have these problems as soon as I started testing the implementation :

- in the Admin Options, whenever I change the settings (any of them) in Poll Configuration the settings don't hold, so I can't even turn Polls on

- forgetting the above problem for a minute, I bypassed the condition in forum.asp (so I could actually add a poll) and it comes up as a normal topic .... I'm guessing this is normal because I'm trying to bend the rules a fair bit.

I have to hurry off to work, but I thought I would post this in case people know what is happened. I will post proper text files & other info when I return.

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2003 :  23:11:26  Show Profile
quote:
- in the Admin Options, whenever I change the settings (any of them) in Poll Configuration the settings don't hold, so I can't even turn Polls on
Have you added the poll mod code to your config.asp file? And updated your config.asp file on your server?
Also check your forum variables to see if the poll mod variables show up.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2003 :  04:29:33  Show Profile
Thanks Davio,

I have re-checked config.asp, but the changes were already there and the file was on the server.

The forum variables are also displaying ok in the Admin Options screen to check those values, but the Poll Config page refuses to display the current value of the variables, and I still can't get the poll option to come up in the forum page .

I'll be back to it in about 15 mins, and I'll post all the text files that are needed
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2003 :  05:12:27  Show Profile
OK, all the modded files are uploaded, and in this format :

http://www.traderretreat.com/test/config.txt

etc ... replacing the asp extension with txt
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2003 :  05:33:24  Show Profile
OK, I have the config.asp problem solved, now I'm aiming at the forum.asp next
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2003 :  06:21:18  Show Profile
Hhmhmm ... the Poll option isn't in forum.asp because I forgot to set the Forum Properties, but when I go to set the properties properly, that option doesn't stick either .... fixing post.asp now.
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2003 :  08:59:14  Show Profile
You need to post what you did to fix your problems laser. So other users who run into the same problem will be able to fix it themselves when they read this topic.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2003 :  14:33:56  Show Profile
I don't really know what I did .... the additions seemed to be in config.asp but when I applied them again it worked the second time, but not the first.

Helping others ? Sure, I always do, but now I need the help, so I'm on the other end of the stick this time.
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2003 :  15:05:51  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
I thinnk I have the exact same issue as mentioned above...(sorry Davio for posting in the other topic...my post is gone...)

If I go to the Poll Configuration (admin_poll.asp), I see the field "Allow Users to View Poll Results Before Voting" allways on 'Off'.
If I select 'on', and press submit, the value of the field strVResults is changed in the db to 1.
If I return to admin_poll.asp, it still shows 'Off'. If I press submit then, without changing anything, strVResults is set back to '0' again.
So, the update works, but it allways shows the option to be 'off'.

I think it is somewhere located in this piece of code in the updated admin_poll.asp, but I am not sure where to look....and what to change.
	"	<tr valign=""top"">" & vbNewLine & _
	"    	<td bgColor=""" & strPopUpTableColor & """ align=""right"">
               <font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strDefaultFontSize & """>
            <b>Allow Users to View Poll Results Before Voting:</b> </font></td>" & vbNewLine & _
	"    	<td bgColor=""" & strPopUpTableColor & """>" & vbNewLine & _
	"    	On: <input type=""radio"" name=""strVResults"" value=""1"""
if strVResults = "1" then Response.Write(" checked")
Response.Write ">Off: <input type=""radio"" name=""strVResults"" value=""0"""
if strVResults <> "1" then Response.Write(" checked")

I've broken this up to prevent the layout of the post from being messed up
Anyone a suggestion ?

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2003 :  15:12:48  Show Profile
Sounds like the same problem I had ... re-check that your forum variables are populated properly (just figure out which variable is the option you're after).

I also re-ran setup.asp and re-confirmed the changes to config.asp (although I'm sure I did both these things before).
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2003 :  15:41:13  Show Profile
AAARRRGGGGHHH !!!!! ... My error was that I had missed half the stuff in post_info.asp. I'm blaming the 15ish IM chats I had going at the same time as modifying the code . Anyway, I think it all works now just some final tests and I'm fine.
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2003 :  04:15:42  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by laser

Sounds like the same problem I had ... re-check that your forum variables are populated properly (just figure out which variable is the option you're after).

I also re-ran setup.asp and re-confirmed the changes to config.asp (although I'm sure I did both these things before).

Ok, I re-ran Setup.asp, no change...I checked all changes in config.asp, no changes...
I'm lost...
the strange thing is that when I submit the new config through admin_poll.asp, it saves the changed values in the db correctly.
However, if I open admin_poll.asp, it keeps showing the default value 'Off'.
I guess that the code in admin_poll.asp tries to check the db value for strVResults.
It now does this (I am just thinking out loud)
if strVResults = "1" then the radiobutton for 'On' should be checked.
if strVResults <> "1" then the radiobutton for 'Off' should be checked.
Even though the value for strVResults is 1 in the DB, it keeps saying it is <> "1".....aaaargh

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2003 :  04:21:58  Show Profile
Post a link to your forum.
Post a link to a txt version of your admin_poll.asp file.
I will need admin access to your forum also. So you can email me an admin username and password.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2003 :  05:35:08  Show Profile
marcelgoertz,

i checked mine by doing this :

" On" & strVResults & ": <input type=""radio"" name=""strVResults"" value=""1"""
if strVResults = "1" then Response.Write(" checked")
Response.Write ">Off: <input type=""radio"" name=""strVResults"" value=""0"""
if strVResults <> "1" then Response.Write(" checked")

then you will see what the value of it is RIGHT THERE
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2003 :  14:37:08  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Davio

Post a link to your forum.
Post a link to a txt version of your admin_poll.asp file.
I will need admin access to your forum also. So you can email me an admin username and password.

Davio, sorry, unable to do that, since the forum is on an intranet site...However, you can download the admin_poll.txt here.
http://www.opzolder.net/portal/uploaded/marcelg/admin_poll.txt

I've tried lasers tip...no success..

Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2003 :  17:09:55  Show Profile
My tips won't fix the problem at all ... but they will let you see the value of strVResults at that exact moment. Then trace it back to see that strVResults is being set properly and everything else.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07