Page: of 3

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  07:10:10  Show Profile
It is under "Take Action" paragraph of http://www.gnu.org
quote:

Take Action

Urgent: Please visit http://www.digitalspeech.org and help resist the media companies' campaign to impose restrictions on what your computer can do.

European Citizens: European Commission is pushing to make all ideas patentable, proposal written by BSA. This pageexplains everything and tells you how you can help prevent this disaster.

US Citizens: Please sign both the Petition Against Software Patents and the Anti-DMCA Petition.

Stop the WAR!

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  07:21:46  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I moved it here bozden, it is more important than posting it in the asp forums would suggest

Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  07:40:30  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
I "signed" both of those, plus I've already written both my senators AND my US Congressman in protest of both these measures, plus the one being considered now requiring security measures in all hardware used in the US.

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  07:43:17  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
me too,
quote:

plus the one being considered now requiring security measures in all hardware used in the US.

is this the 'fritz' chip anti piracy thing ? if so, I can only see its introduction sounding the death nell for microsoft and Intel.
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  08:09:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

I moved it here bozden, it is more important than posting it in the asp forums would suggest

Being awake for 24 hours does this ... I thought it was "all other subjects"...

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  08:12:00  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
I see this a while ago and signed it.

De Priofundus Calmo Ad Te Damine
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  08:12:47  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
it wasn't in the wrong place, I just thought it important enough to be in the announcements
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  08:17:06  Show Profile
I also found a recently revised (as of October 10, 2002) and nice article that I missed before:

Why Open Source Software / Free Software (OSS/FS)? Look at the Numbers!

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  08:36:52  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
It's a lovely bill introduced in the US that would require all hardware makers to put in digital copy protection and allow the media giants more control over our PC's (I'm not sure if it's this law or another one, but there is one that will allow media agencies to break into your home PC to remove items they feel are kept illegally). Here's a couple links on it:

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46671,00.html
http://www.eff.org/IP/SSSCA_CBDTPA/20020321_s2048_cbdtpa_bill.pdf

and a petition against it already:
http://www.petitiononline.com/SSSCA/petition.html

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  08:48:28  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
Yes, it is the same thing, I can only hope that this will have completely the opposite effect to the one they disire, and will move people away from microsoft and mainstream software altogether.
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  09:04:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

Yes, it is the same thing, I can only hope that this will have completely the opposite effect to the one they disire, and will move people away from microsoft and mainstream software altogether.

Hopefully

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  09:09:46  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
why do you all hate microsoft, everyone slates them but never says why

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  09:39:09  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
if you read up on this fritz chip, you will not require an answer to that question, but here is my personal opinion.

Microsofts sole purpose of existance is to accomplish world domination of the computer market, it does this using aggressive marketting and buyouts, while this may be great for microsoft, it is not the best thing for you the user because it is virtually impossible for anyone to compete with them, so you get a computer world which is dictated by microsofts vision, and not based on diversity and freedom of choice. The introduction of this 'fritz' chip will only make their stranglehold greater.

For exampl, lets say this chip was already in use in all computers, and we are on the Brink of war with Iraq, so Bush phones up Intel and Microsoft and says, hey guys, we want to blow up Iraq, can you revoke all their licenced software, OK, says Intel and Microsoft. ALL COMPUTERS IN IRAQ USING INTEL PROCESSORS AND RUNNING WINDOWS WILL NOW STOP WORKING.

Is this the vison of the future that we want ?
Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  09:47:44  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
sounds like it would be a totally different world of wars if that was to happen. but just think of all the hackers out there. someone could figure out how to break intel or MS's code and basically shut down every computer in the world.

Brad
Oklahoma City Online Entertainment Guide
Oklahoma Event Tickets
Go to Top of Page

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  09:53:03  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
i never thought of it that way

Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2002 :  10:20:28  Show Profile
quote:

ALL COMPUTERS IN IRAQ USING INTEL PROCESSORS AND RUNNING WINDOWS WILL NOW STOP WORKING

Good point Huw. This is why many countries (Germany, Russia,...) enforce Linux.

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07