------------------------------------------------------------
Updated new package for v3.4: EZ_Anonymous_Posting-34-001a
Update/fixed information:
2002.11.09 -- updated for v3.4
2002.11.30 -- small fix on members.asp example and admin_anony_active.asp
2003.01.15 -- fix eza_default.asp 3-2 modified code mistake

a lots of users ask me this feature, they want to try doing a post before them register member.
i know Anonymous Access MOD can do this, but Davio seem didn't publish this Mod independently.
so i've no chance to try Davio's Mod..... then i try to do a "easy" version Anonymous mod by myself...

i do this on v.3.3, coz i hav'nt began my 3.4 upgrade work. and i'm a little bit more familiar with 3.3 old code.
i think if this mod idea not got a big wrong, it should be also available on 3.4....
(in fact, i try the Step.1 code modified on 3.4.0.3, it seem also work fine....)
but i really do'nt know too much about Security, or something important in Programming...
so want every Snitz Master help me to check this small mod, and make sure this mod idea not too innocent. thx!

==========================================
EZ Anonymous Posting MOD --- for Snitz v3.3.0x
==========================================

Feature:
allow non-registered users posting on a "Allow Anonymous Posting" forum.

Test:
only on Snitz v3.3.05, Access database and local web server...

EZ thought/original idea:
creating a new Forum Auth Type to allow All Visitors enter, and register a "public anony member"...
for example: member name "Guest" or "Anonymous"..... then if users go into this forum and
is non-registered member or not login member, she/he also can posting topic/replies here.
(when posting, just automatically assign the "public anony member" account to all anonymous users.)

try removing ANYTHING related this "public anony member" personal information...
ex. Profile link, Send mail to this member, show on members page, signature, edit/delete post... etc.
and also do a little change this anony member name.. for example: it shown like this "Guestxxxx",
the xxxx is a number can take from user's IP or date/time infomation when she/he made this post.

Restriction:
1. Anony Users can't edit/delete his posts... (it seem have to do this...^^)
2. Anony Users can't spedify his own NickName for post author... (i know Davio's Anonymous Access MOD can do this...)
all Anony posts just show "Guestxxxx" or "Anonyxxxx" as author name. if you need the NickName feature, try Davio's MOD.
3. Anony Users can't see/edit a unapproved/held post in Moderation mode.

EZ Anonymous Posting setup procedure:

FIRST: new register a "Common Anonymous Account" member,
for example i register a new member name "Guest" & password "anonymouspassword" & any one of my email address.

SECOND: at least do the Step.1 code modification.
and remember put above Anony Member name & password information in config.asp file modified.
after modifying, login as Admin and create/edit some Forums's Auth Type to "Allow Anonymouse Posting (MOD)"
P.S. TO DO THIS, YOU ALSO NEED TO TURN ON "PRIVATE FORUMS" IN ADMIN SECTION "FEATURE CONFIGURATION".

THIRD: that's all...^^ now just try, if you only do Step.1 code modified, anonymouse users(non_registered users) can
post on the forum that you allow Anony Posting, but ALL the anony posts will show the same author name !!
and also not remove the profile link to Anony Member Name.... if you do'nt mind this... you can skip the Step.2 modification.

Download: EZ_Anony_Posting_33.zip

and also these small addon if you need...
EZ_Anony_Posting_addon.zip --
add a simple Admin interface and more code modification for showing special forum folder icon.
EZ_Anony_Posting_34_step1only.zip --
the code modified example for v3.4.0.3. i ONLY try Step.1 4 files ez modification... if you familiar with Mods install, i think the other is easy to implement in 3.4.

==================================================
if someone interested to improve it or upgrade this to 3.4.......
JUST DO IT !!! NO AGREEMENT IS NEEDED !!! ^_^
any suggestion or implement modification will appreciate ! Thanks !!
==================================================

~......~.~~

Edited by - DoraMoon on 15 January 2003 07:55:44

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 12 October 2002 :  06:06:01  Show Profile
i think this small Mod will be useful, if i have a Demo site....
people will no need to register member again to test a posting..........

but unfortunately, still no available demo site for me....

here is some ScreenShot:

(on post.asp page, if this forum Allow Anonymous Posting, non-registered users can just leave the Authority info blank.)

(on forum.asp page, all anonymous posts author just show "Guestxxxx" and no profile link. also work on Moderated mode.)

(on topic.asp page, remove any personal information link to this Guest account. if you do'nt mind this, it can save a lots code modified.)

p.s. any support to this mod maybe will a little delay... i'm not online often recently...
Go to Top of Page

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 06 November 2002 :  09:03:55  Show Profile
Poor Mod.... ~~>_<~"" still no one response.....

anyway, i do a online demo site can test this mod..
http://c.1asphost.com/doramoon/forum/default.asp
Free! with annoying popup Ad and terrible slow speed..(sometimes is ok..)

just go into any forum with this forum status or , and try leaving a post...

i think this mod is a lots more easy to implement on 3.4, the Step.1 only 3 files and no more 50 lines code modified if you do'nt care the Anonymous user name issue.

now i can understanding why Davio no willing to release this independently, if you want to change the Anony user name, it really a big job even though usually it just a simple code modify.

but i think this ez mod still useful if you have a Test Forum, and want to allow visitor posting before desiding join member or not.
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2002 :  01:12:24  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Hi DoraMoon,

I just got to this MOD. I must have missed it, sorry.

It looks like it will be fun.

Thanks again,

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

padawan

200 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2002 :  12:16:33  Show Profile
I think this could really be a powerful tool to attract prospective members to a forum site. If we can give them the ability post anonymously, posts and replies will multiply. More posts may mean more interesting topics for people to read. More interesting topics out there will lure more people to post. Once you've got enough base, you can then close the forum for registered members only. Those 'anonymous' posters would then have no choice but to register and be a member...

Now, if we can only get this idea to the Content/Suggestion forum for action...

- padawan

"...be mindful of the SnitzForce..."
Go to Top of Page

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2002 :  13:03:51  Show Profile
yes, for attracting members purpose, it's true.
but i think allow Anonymous Posting still "abnormal" for general situation.
it's a Forum, not a GuestBook afer all !!

sometimes the users behavior really a little strange. even we told them registering a membership is free and not take you more than 10sec. he still would like to reveal his opinion on a GuestBoard rather than in forum as a regular member identity.

really hard to fathom these strange users behavior.
Go to Top of Page

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2002 :  07:06:35  Show Profile
updated new package for v3.4 ............ EZ_Anony_Posting-34-001a.zip
(with complete code modification examples.)

it seem need change a lots snitz files... but the basic modify rule is simple.
so if you do'nt care the Anonymous user name issue, i'll strongly suggest just doing
the Step.1 modification, and skip all other non-necessary modded code.
it will make this really be a "EZ" anonymous posting mod.....
Go to Top of Page

andyjenkins

105 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2002 :  05:17:15  Show Profile  Visit andyjenkins's Homepage
Appologies for bumping an old-ish thread - but can anyone help?

I want this mod on my forum - but I can't seem to understand the instructions (sorry mod maker). Anyone advise ?

BTOpenworld ADSL Usergroup
Go to Top of Page

David K

494 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2002 :  11:16:39  Show Profile  Send David K an AOL message  Send David K an ICQ Message  Send David K a Yahoo! Message
can you be more specific about "not understanding the instructions"?
Go to Top of Page

andyjenkins

105 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2002 :  14:56:37  Show Profile  Visit andyjenkins's Homepage
OK - sorry - yeah I should've really eh ? OK - here goes.
quote:
2. do below code modified.

admin_home.asp
'##### EZ Anony 1-1 : below 1 line added

config.asp
'##### EZ Anony 1-1 : below 1 lines added
'##### EZ Anony 1-2 : below 3 lines added

inc_func_secure.asp
'##### EZ Anony 1-1 : add below a new function
'##### EZ Anony 1-2 : below 1 line modified (add , 119)

post.asp
'##### EZ Anony 1-1 : below 2 lines added
'##### EZ Anony 1-2 : below 4 lines added
'##### EZ Anony 1-3 : below 9 lines added and change last line "if" to "elseif"
'##### EZ Anony 1-4 (optional): break above line and insert 1 line
'##### EZ Anony 1-5 (optional): break above line and insert 1 line
'##### EZ Anony 1-6 - below 5 lines added

post_info.asp
'##### EZ Anony 1-1 : below 4 lines added
'##### EZ Anony 1-2 : replace above 1 line with below 5 lines
'##### EZ Anony 1-3 : replace above 1 line with below 5 lines
'##### EZ Anony 1-4 : replace above 1 line with below 5 lines
'##### EZ Anony 1-5 : replace above 1 line with below 5 lines
'##### EZ Anony 1-6 : replace above 1 line with below 5 lines
'##### EZ Anony 1-7 : replace above 1 line with below 5 lines

pop_profile.asp
'##### EZ Anony 1-1 : below 3 lines added

What am I supposed to do with the mentioned files ? I've done a couple of mods (Active Users etc) before - so I'm not totally new to this modding lark - just that those instructions have me totally flumuxed.

Would I be correct in saying that I open the ez_xxxxx.asp (filenames above) and copy the bits between the comments - and paste them into my already existing files ?

BTOpenworld ADSL Usergroup

Edited by - andyjenkins on 17 November 2002 14:58:47
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2002 :  15:04:55  Show Profile
My guess is that DoraMoon commented each edit you have to make. So if you search for '##### EZ Anony 1-1 in inc_func_secure.asp, you'll get the correct code and will be able to see where to make the change in your own file.
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2002 :  17:40:24  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage
Yes, that's what she's done.

Here's what I do when I apply one of DoraMoon's Mods:

Open the ReadMe, the modded file - in this case, for example, ez_admin_home.asp, plus your version of that file ... Keep all 3 tabbed, or open, in that order.

Then, copy the line from the ReadMe [Example: '##### EZ Anony 1-1 : below 1 line added] and search for it in the ez_admin_home.asp file.

Now, copy that [the corresponding code, that is] and apply it to your file, admin_home.asp. Then move to the next. Keep working left to right.

It works pretty well - for me, anyway - and once you get in the "rhythm" you'll be sailing right along!

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

DoraMoon
Average Member

Taiwan
661 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2002 :  22:25:08  Show Profile
hi~ andy, sorry for my bad instruction make you confused.
it's what a lazy woman doing, save typing a lots words by my poor English...

and thanks FrutZle and Rich explain it for me. yes! it's just what i meaning..
all the example modified files eza_xxxxx.asp base on a clean 3.4.03 file, if you did'nt add another mod to this file, you can just rename/overwrite it. or you need to search '##### EZ Anony to know where the code added/modified.

my personal think it's a better way than telling you which line number in readme.txt. my editor(EditPlus) allow you editing two or more files in a edit window on the same time. if your editor also support this feature, it'll be very convenient for doing compare/copy/paste modded work between example and your original file.

and bout this mod, i'll suggest you doing the Part.I modify first. (the section comment with 1-xx) it's the basic rule of this mod working: make all anonymous posting using the same one member account.

if this way suitable for you... then you can just consider doing the Part.II modification or not.(comment with 2-xx) the biggest problem of this mod is: if you mind the Anonymous user name issue, then it's a big job for changing ALL places where could be showing member name. even i try to make this work more simpler, if you not so familiar with mod code modification, it still a annonying problem.

please try doing something first..(do all 1-xx code modify, register a "Anonymous" common account, then go to Admin Anonymou Posting setup this feature.) if got any problems, just post it again. i will try my best to help you doing this job.

good luck!
Go to Top of Page

aluminumcan

63 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2002 :  16:58:31  Show Profile
Dora:

Thanks for this MOD. I'm about to plug it into my forum and give it a go.

I did notice that you mention 'Davio's Anonymous Access MOD' as well, but I can't find that particular MOD anywhere for comparison.

Anyways, I'll get this working and post some feedback!
Go to Top of Page

aluminumcan

63 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2002 :  12:14:17  Show Profile
Ok...I seem to have been able to get everything done for step one. Wasn't too painful at all.

I'm stuck on one of the instruction items, though:

6. then goto edit the forum you want to allow anony posting (Forum Properities setting...), choose "Allow Anonymous Posting (MOD)" option.

Where is this 'forum properties setting' options located?
Go to Top of Page

aluminumcan

63 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2002 :  17:51:03  Show Profile
OK...I thought I made some progress.

I reread all of the instructions and it mentioned that I first have to make the forum private.

I did that.

Now it says to

"login as Admin and create/edit some Forums's Auth Type to "Allow Anonymouse Posting (MOD)"

Well, the only two authorization types I can choose from are DB and NT. What am I doing wrong here?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07